Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
will there be an internatinal in 2021 ? (Read 7233 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
will there be an internatinal in 2021 ?
Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:36am

Honestly I can't see it happening.

the corona virus is still on the up, mainly due to people being arseholes and ignoring any kind of sensible behaviour.
In the uk we now have refrigerated tents where bodies are being stored because the morgues at the hospitals are full.

So come march - despite the vaccines - things will actually be worse in march than they are now.

I would not have been able to afford to go to guam for the 500 year 'being invaded by the spanish' celebrations, but I probably could have afforded mallorca this year.

I honestly don't know if guam are going ahead with the celebrations or not. have to get hold of Roman and find out.

They haven't been hit hard on the island, compared to elsewhere - but the large us troop contingent have made sure it still gets spread around.

Haven't heard anything from pep yet - but can't believe they'd go ahead with it in march.

Some kind of virtual competition is very much in order I feel.
Thoughts and ideas on how to do this please Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: will there be an internatinal in 2021 ?
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 9:00am

Have you received a whatsapp message from Pep? On checking it appears you are not on the Fona International whatsapp group which Pep must have gone off when sending these preliminary messages out. I can ask Pep to add you to it if you like? I don't seem to have rights to do this.

1st March will not go ahead, but they are looking to do it later in the year with options of June (6th or 13th), September(19th or 26th) and October (17th or 24th). Apparently October is the most popular option so far. I presume when they pick a date they will email out full details.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 12:10pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:36am:
Thoughts and ideas on how to do this please

uncut video of 30 shots, everybody at the same distance 20 or 30m, any target but a good backstop preferably cliff or wall. The winner is the one with the smallest spread.
But yes who is going to watch every video of hundreds of people and analyse them?

Another modified version is 30 shots uncut, 20 or 30m, 10cm paper target for reference, ammo is tennis balls, the one whose biggest miss is the smallest distance from the target is the winner. A little easier to analyse.

in both cases there need to be reference points(e.g. 2 paper circles 1-3m apart) on the backstop to have a pixel to meters calibration.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 1:51pm

I'm thinking October would be best. I can't see June happening. It's really not nearly as bad over here as other places but it's far from good and getting worse.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 5:04pm

I'm with Sarosh. Uncut video (could be sped up in sections, like reloading or walking) showing a measuring tape of the distance and targets.

Next, assign groups of 3 or 4 to watch each other's entries and get a thumbs up if it is acceptable.  The reason for the 3 or 4 people, would just to get multiple verifications that the entry meets parameters and also ease suspicion of anyone cheating (much easier to do if only pairs checked each other).

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 5:59pm

The fact that I missed last year and now there is no certainty that one will be on in the near future makes missing last year’s even worse, I had good reasons to miss it but I still dream of making it there one year before I’m too old.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:42am

It'll be a while until you're too old Cheesy Lots of oldies were there Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:48pm

I do like the idea of a remote competition. You could livestream a video uncut, hold up today’s newspaper in front of the camera to prove it wasn’t pre-recorded, and then verification only requires matching the live stream timestamps with the date on the paper. Nobody has to watch the video live, but they could.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 8:23am

I don't do whatsapp.
if you think I'm giving my mobile phone number to a faceless multinational conglomerate - you've never met me lol

My 'phone' is 99% a portable camera/computer/media device and all round amazing bit of technology.

What it's NOT for is: phonecalls from people I don't know, phonecalls from most people I do know, random texts Smiley

If I could remove the phone aspect entirely - I probably would.

I do facebook messenger and that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

All notifications from everything are switrched off - I don't want it beeping away and showering me with random crap every time I switch it on.

Social media is a necessary evil - NOT an esssential part of life Smiley

As I've mentioned, social distancing is pretty much my default state of being lol

But an october comp should be good, even I should have had an innoculation by then. I think I'm somewhere in the 4th or 5th group.
IE in the category of potentially dodgy medical condition(type 2 diabetes) but not old enough to be further up the ladder.

As it turns out I've either had it or I'm naturally immune, so it's not something I'm personally concerned about.
It's just how effected intermational travel will still be in october.

I'm currently waiting for the variant that is not effected by the current vaccines, pessismistic ?  possibly.
Biologically an almost certainty ? Definitely.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:37am

I like NOC's idea.

if possible we should stick to standard balearic rules.

So 4 sets of 5 shots at 20 metres.
The sets don't all have to be during the same recording - they aren't in competitions.

But each set of 5 throws should be a single continuous video.

We'll need some way to measure 20 metres.

You will need a standard balearic target.

so a 1.2 m square with a 50 cm central target.
top of square is 2.2m off the ground.

You can use a sheet hanging from a suspended line, a drawn shape on a wall or just about anything else you can think of.

Don't worry about deciding whether or not you've hit the target/diana - I am certain that all submittd videos will be thoroughly scrutinised and any borderline shots 'discussed' rather vigorously whistle

Missiles can be anything you like. Although it has to be said that slinging a tennis ball 20 metres is harder than it looks Smiley And at the international distances for tennis ball targets vary from 10 metres to 15.
As far as I know we've never slung tennis balls at a full 20 metres.

So - personally - I'd accept tennis balls at 20 metres as being equal to stones or clay.

Don't use golf balls unless you have a completely soft target - the richochets from wood or metal are lethal !

Not sure how we'll go about measuring the actual distance - not everyone has a 20 metre tape.
I use a length of string I measured that ties to the bottom of the target one end and to a length of pipe used as the slinging point at the other.

So a one meter rule and twenty lengths against it would be accurate enough - and video it being measured and laid out.

If you want to do a teams competition - then teams should be declared BEFORE a single stone is thrown !

After all there are cheating bastards out there - like me, lol - who are inclined to make sure the best slingers are in their teams whistle

For sheer authenticity a bluetooth speaker should be playing random crowd noises with shouts and clangs - as loudly as possible in the background.

If you can get: friends, relatives, partners, passing dogwalkers and just random strangers to shout something hilarious at you - in spanish, german, catalan and occasionally english - that would all add to the correct atmosphere Smiley

Heckling is encouraged and if someone could also throw the odd large rock at you during the throws - that too would make it feel more like the real thing.

Dodging the sideways releases of the slinger next to you, is just part of the fun !

We need some kind of handicap for jaegoor. He actually suffers from competition nerves - why he doesn't win everything and has yet to score a perfect 40 points in competition. On his home range - well we've all seen how he slings at home !
Pretty much unbeatable.

Maybe a crow scarer that randomly goes BANG really loudly, just behind him.
ideas please Smiley

Jaegoor also probaly counts as a team on his own.
At the internationals he generally aligns himself with friends rather than other decent slingers - hence never yet being in the winning team
He's a nice guy like that Smiley

So for the purposes of this exercise maybe handicap him with slingbadger and david morningstar whistle
Hell - or me, haven't thrown at a target for nearly 2 years !

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:08am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 9:37am:
We need some kind of handicap for jaegoor. He actually suffers from competition nerves - why he doesn't win everything and has yet to score a perfect 40 points in competition. On his home range - well we've all seen how he slings at home !
Pretty much unbeatable.

These guys are in Berlin.  I'd pitch in some money if we want to hire them to play at Jaegoor's sand pit Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2P8SnOwLo&t=1m11s

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:21am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 8:23am:
I don't do whatsapp.
if you think I'm giving my mobile phone number to a faceless multinational conglomerate - you've never met me lol

I do facebook messenger and that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

Facebook is way more likely to violate your privacy than a phonecall, CA.  Just saying.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 11:45am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 10:21am:
Facebook is way more likely to violate your privacy than a phonecall, CA.  Just saying.

"I don't trust bears to look after this toddler, instead I'll leave it in the care of these starving wolves!"

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 11:55am

Pep says its the 15th-17th October 2021 and its in Ibiza this time.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 2:15pm

Well... I just figured out a way to squeeze 20 meters out of my backyard.  It’s not easy with tennis balls, and I’m going to lose a few more than usual over the fence, but if I can compete from home... count me in!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)