Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possibility of Virtual Spotter? (Read 834 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Possibility of Virtual Spotter?
Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:47am

The idea is to use a smartphone to spot slinging sessions. The question is: is it possible with modern technology?
there are 2 main categories of slinging that real time spotting would be useful.
1)long range spotting- where did the stone landed? because the slinger cannot see it.
2)short/medium range precision spotting- creating a grouping and providing analysis while at the range/real time.

1) would require tiny object tracking from a smartphone camera so we would need camera resolution that will still record even with a couple of pixels the stone at long range traveling almost perpendicularly to camera view and very fast. What is the solid angle of 1 pixel in 4K video?

2)It would need spotting impact points on a backstop to create a grouping image then make statistical analysis of it. The most difficult part is recognizing impact points.

Is there any existing software that does anything similar to this?
Can you think of simpler approaches?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Possibility of Virtual Spotter?
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:44am

it would make more sense to use a cheap 'action cam' for the target spotting.

As far as tracking a small object - no we're not there yet.

It's not camera resolution - some smartphones have 48mp sensors.
Which is totally insane when you consider the size of the actual ccd sensor.

Only the new iphone 12 pro has hardware tracking - but it's not designed for small fast moving objects.

Were you to use day-glo missiles that would make trajectory tracking easier.

Or a set of night vision goggles, an infra red illuminator and some reflective ir paint on the missile.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 11:48am

(1)just checked a sling-stone is roughly 4 pixels at ~38m with 4k from a smartphone and also 4 pixels @ 100m with FHD and 6x optical zoom so tracking flight just with smartphone lens and no optical zoom is impossible now.

(2) might be possible with machine learning although I dont understand a lot about it. I think it will confuse insects with stones.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:44am:
it would make more sense to use a cheap 'action cam' for the target spotting.

good idea but I think it complicates things, the action cam(extra $) will need to send the video to a smartphone for the analysis and there will be image deformation if the action cam is too close to the target.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:44am:
Were you to use day-glo missiles that would make trajectory tracking easier.

Or a set of night vision goggles, an infra red illuminator and some reflective ir paint on the missile.

the idea was to reduce time and costs and just do it with software. There are tiny-projectile radars out there but they are crazy expensive. Golf ball flight tracker 20k$ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWo0Ehj4Lo

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 8:26pm

Why not a projectile with a small LED in it?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 1:10am

@Kilisi
that would complicate things. I want to sling stones, shoot and forget about them. also I dont think leds help in daylight.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 4:15am

What about painting them bright orange and using a drone overhead to see where they went?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 6:44am

I haven't seen any camera that can do that yet. Even slinging at a golf ball sized target at 10 meters you can barely see either the target or the ammo.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:50am

They’re out there. Here’s a few:

https://www.longshotcameras.com/

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/target-video-camera/

https://nebraskashooters.com/other/diy-target-cam/

It would be easy if you focus on a target. For longer range throws without a target, rather than tracking the ammo, it’s easier to watch the movement of dirt or grass where it lands.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 2:09pm

ok (1) seems impossible.
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:50am:

that's similar to putting an action cam close to target as CA proposed, a go pro would be more useful with slinging.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)