Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tiger Snake whip (Read 1666 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Tiger Snake whip
Jan 11th, 2021 at 12:28am

Well, it’s an improvement over my first whip, but far from perfect.  I was short on orange cord, so the belly is too long compared to the overall length (around 4 feet/1.2m), and that means the taper is too aggressive for my liking. It goes pop though, and the design is much simpler than the last whip I made. I think I did ok for my first crack at a snake whip (snicker).

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Re: Tiger Snake whip
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 10:34am

That's a beautiful design, have you tried making one of these as the release cord for your sling? I barely get any cracks when I sling so I was thinking of making one.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:42pm

Thanks Mariano!
It's definitely worth making one just to improve your skills with cordage, but as a sling, it would be way too heavy.  It's got a 4-strand paracord belly wrapped in cloth tape and 8 strands on the outside.  That's way too much material for a release cord.

I did make a couple of 8-strand tapered jute slings though, and those had a nice crack until the jute failed.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:59pm

Even though it may seem too short I would much rather have that in a fight than a normal whip lol.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 6:59pm

In a fight there’s a lot of things I’d rather have than a whip... unless I am fighting trained circus animals that is.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:12pm

I do remember seeing something like that in a club in RI, it was part of a 'fetish night' they hosted.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:06pm

I made a snake whip ages ago with paracord but I don't think it was really the best paracord to use as it didn't really "flatten out" all that well. Pretty happy with the globe knot I put on the end, I still don't know how I managed to pull that off. Cracks really well.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:24pm

Kick wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:06pm:
I made a snake whip ages ago with paracord but I don't think it was really the best paracord to use as it didn't really "flatten out" all that well. Pretty happy with the globe knot I put on the end, I still don't know how I managed to pull that off. Cracks really well.

Did you gut the paracord? It needs to be gutted to lay flat.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:35pm

Ah well that's the interesting thing with this stuff. It's actual prarcord, as in literally cut off old parachutes, and it doesn't have anything in it except some very thin red string. Even pulling that out does nothing. I don't know if it's a tighter weave than "paracord" you get elsewhere, but it refuses to lie flat. I guess it could be ironed flat but I don't have an iron.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:34pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:12pm:
I do remember seeing something like that in a club in RI, it was part of a 'fetish night' they hosted.  Cheesy

The first bull whip I made about a year ago was pretty “kinky”, but only because the tension in the weave was so uneven.

...Whew!  That was a rather difficult sentence to write without adding any accidental innuendo. I had to avoid the following words and phrases to communicate the idea clearly without being suggestive:
“First time”, “Long”, “Hard”, “Pulled too tight”

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:27am

Hahaha, you should have. I was setting you up. One of those little whips was. Used on me.  Wink i forgot to mention.  Quite interesting experience

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:52am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:34pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 7:12pm:

The first bull whip I made about a year ago was pretty “kinky”, but only because the tension in the weave was so uneven.

...Whew!  That was a rather difficult sentence to write without adding any accidental innuendo. I had to avoid the following words and phrases to communicate the idea clearly without being suggestive:
“First time”, “Long”, “Hard”, “Pulled too tight”

Fought a guy once with a make shift whip. He was a boxer with a nick name The Iron Fister.

You know what I'll just stop. Lol.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:59am

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:27am:
Hahaha, you should have. I was setting you up. One of those little whips was. Used on me.  Wink i forgot to mention.  Quite interesting experience

Well, the punchline was “kinky” and any of the other phrases would have distracted from it... plus it’s actually funnier to list all the phrases out of context and let the imagination fill in the gaps on alternative wording. I sneak more juvenile innuendo in that way too, because otherwise I could only slip one or two of them in (wait... slip them in... dang it!)

The reality is that I really did pull too hard and overtightened the weave in several places on my first whip. That messed up the tension, but there’s absolutely no way to say that without the juvenile finger pointing and snickering while someone says “he pulled too hard and broke his whip!”

Innuendo aside, here’s a photo of what I’m actually talking about. You can see how wavy it is, especially along the top near the handle . Classic rookie mistake.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:02am

That definitely looks a bit kinky. And its unfortunate that you pulled too hard Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 1:18am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:59am:
Innuendo

In YOUR endo...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man)