Send Topic Print
Multi-Pouched Slings! (Read 1752 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Multi-Pouched Slings!
Jan 10th, 2021 at 1:06pm

First thing, kudos to NOC and Jaegoor.  These slings were inspired by this topic: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1608095984.

These slings use up ammunition really fast.  But they are fun to throw.  The biggest downside (other than going through ammunition fast) is the load time.  I got pretty good after a little bit of practice, but it was probably still around a minute to load each sling.

Enjoy!  Smiley

https://youtu.be/geFm-RwZTlo.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Multi-Pouched Slings!
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 2:39pm

That's awesome! The shotgun effect of the pouches at the same length was really cool and the Fig 8 was amazing! That looked like it worked even better Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 4:13pm

I agree with Kick! The figure 8 looked awesome!

Interesting result from this experiment. The difference between the alternate length and same length slings makes sense in hindsight, I wouldn't have known what would happen before seeing this video.

I wonder how much it says about the randomness of accuracy just inherent to the sling itself. Since your release is effectively simultaneous (ok, maybe not), the differences in the trajectories are just due to small changes in pouch orientation/interference.  Man, we need a good high speed camera setup.

John R.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 5:19pm

That was cool, I just fastforwarded to the action bits.

Why do you have separate release cords? Wouldn't it be faster to join them as well?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 6:19pm

Thanks guys!  The Figure 8 definitely had more power.  In reality I did throw that twice when recording.  The first one went into the ground about 10-15 feet in front of the target.  I wasn't ready for all that momentum coming overhead.  I got the timing right for the second throw.  I think it had much more power because of its rotation in the vertical plane.  With gravity's assistance, all that weight got moving really fast.

IronGoober wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 4:13pm:
due to small changes in pouch orientation

I think this is key, but more specifically pouch position.  Especially with the different length sling.  All projectiles are being released at a different angle in the rotation of the sling.

+1 to the high speed camera.  The high speed option on my phone seems to automatically start recording when something is in frame.  But only records for 2 seconds.  I'm still trying to think of a way to get a sling throw with this.

a wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 5:19pm:
Why do you have separate release cords?

I talk about that in the parts you fast-forwarded.  Just joking. Wink

There were two reasons for the separate release cords.  I suspected that holding the cords in a different order might change how the sling worked.  This turned out to be correct.  At least for the sling with different lengths.  A shared cord would not have allowed experimentation with this.  On the sling with all pouches at the same length, I'm not sure if changing the release cord position made a difference.  That sling seemed to throw well enough so I didn't pay attention to the order.  At some point in the future I do want to mark the cords of that sling and see if a certain order does allow for a cleaner release.

The second reason is that when a sling is released, the projectile needs to push past the pouch and release cord.  My thought was that if the cords were attached, that would be a much bigger obstruction for any projectile that might get caught directly behind it.  I opted for 4 small obstructions as opposed to 1 big one.  A shared release cord could definitely be something to try though.  It would definitely help with the cords getting tangled.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 6:27pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 6:19pm:
There were two reasons for the separate release cords.  I suspected that holding the cords in a different order might change how the sling worked.  This turned out to be correct.  At least for the sling with different lengths.  A shared cord would not have allowed experimentation with this.  On the sling with all pouches at the same length, I'm not sure if changing the release cord position made a difference.  That sling seemed to throw well enough so I didn't pay attention to the order.  At some point in the future I do want to mark the cords of that sling and see if a certain order does allow for a cleaner release.

The second reason is that when a sling is released, the projectile needs to push past the pouch and release cord.  My thought was that if the cords were attached, that would be a much bigger obstruction for any projectile that might get caught directly behind it.  I opted for 4 small obstructions as opposed to 1 big one.  A shared release cord could definitely be something to try though.  It would definitely help with the cords getting tangled.

Perhaps with four pouches attached to each other? So really just one sling with a weird pouch.... just brainstorming here since I'm too lazy to try it myself.... because getting snow for the missiles would be difficult in the tropics Wink

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 7:03pm

The problem with having pouches that are attached to each other is their orientation.  If the release cord on each pouch is facing the same way, they won't be able to be in a tight group.  Because one pouch would be opening right into the back of another one.  The alternative would be to have them in a straight line, all opening in the same direction, which could be interesting.

If the pouches were oriented with the release cord sides all facing away from each other, I think that could work.  But then you wouldn't be able to use a shared release cord because they are all opening in a different direction.  I don't know if I'm explaining that well enough to give you a mental picture.  This is also just how it's working in my head, I could be totally wrong.

Note to self: I should make a multi-pouched sling using Y-pouches.  Then I could have a sling with 8 release cords.  More release cords than you can shake a stick at!  Cheesy

If pouches are being attached together, I think it's better to go with the cylinder-shaped pouch shotgun sling.  Then you have one pouch holding multiple projectiles.  Timpa has a video on this, and I made several videos with different pouch styles.  They're all in this thread in case you haven't seen it: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1579758764.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 12:04am

Great video Joe!

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 7:03pm:
Note to self: I should make a multi-pouched sling using Y-pouches.  Then I could have a sling with 8 release cords.  More release cords than you can shake a stick at!  Cheesy

What you need is a “combo lock security sling” where, if you don’t release all 8 cords in the correct order, the ammo stays in the pouch, swings back around, and hits you upside the head Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 4:54pm

Hmmm.....

I wonder if I could hold the release cords in a way that would allow them to be released individually in a specific order.  Change it from a shotgun sling to a semi-automatic.  Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 1:26am

I like the sounds of that , semi automatic sling!!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:59am

High capacity assault sling?! Whoah! Let’s slow down and use some common sense. Nobody needs a rapid fire sling for hunting, and mass assault slings are not what our forefathers/ancestors had in mind when they invented the single-shot sling.  This should definitely not be legal in California, and everyone should have to pass a background check to buy rocks. Also, ice balls should be outright banned. They’re just too dangerous for the public!

From now on, all slings should be designed to only shoot sock balls, and each sock ball should be encoded with a unique serial number to aid in the prosecution of crimes committed by slingers.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:13am

In Europe, you should only own a sling if you are part of a club, and the sling must be kept locked up at the club at all times... even when you are trying to use it.

In England, you can only throw socks by hand, and for public safety reasons, the socks must remain flat, because sock balls are too dangerous.

...way to go Joe!  If you continue down this rebellious path, your little semi-automatic sling inventions are going to ruin the sport for everyone! Just stick to making Balearics, and everything will be ok  Wink

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:25am

Oh, it'll be fine.  I'm just going to try it one time.  And the sling will be locked in a safe afterward.  Smiley

On a serious note, I think it could (possibly) work.  If the release cords are held individually between each finger, I could release the pinky first, then work up to the index finger.  Two concerns.  Keeping a steady rotor after each release.  And second, each released projectile will mean a cord and pouch flapping the wind causing drag and quite likely getting tangled up.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:19pm

Uh-oh... now you’ve engaged my engineer brain Grin
Here’s a couple of thoughts:
This might work better somehow with a captive release sling. Even if you wind up again each time you at least save time on the reload... but you’re moving the weight of all that ammo each time too. When I was playing with  weighted sling pouches, the extra weight sucks power out of the shot, so each subsequent shot will have a little more power than the last.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 1:40pm

Good call on the captive release.  Especially if I make a Y-pouch version of this.  That could help keep stuff out of the way for the later throws.

Okay.  There will be more of this craziness coming.  I'm already making ice for a staggered release test.  But I'll also start working on another sling with Y-pouches and captive release implemented.  (I laughed so hard after typing that last sentence.  It sounds like a joke.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15)