Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Survival/jungle bow (Read 1832 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Survival/jungle bow
Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 12:06pm

So this is actually awesome since often times bowyers will look for unusual pieces to make bows from. This is like the opposite of the guy that made the bow from a multi-decade old Osage fence post. Instead of long dead you have a branch that is desperate to stay alive. I know it sounds cruel but I would be carving that bad boy up. Bet it makes a fun and memorable bow.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 12:09pm

I might leave it to see just how much it grows. My dad said I should just plant it Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 12:36pm

I had that happen last winter with poplar, while i attempted basket making,  which didnt end well. I dried out saplings, then u had to soak for a couple hours then weave, well by the time i got ready, all the saplings were sprouting. I ended up just chucking it

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 2:31pm

I am curing two pieces of Elderberry. In the mean time, I am learning about other uses for this amazing tree.
This tree that sprouts edible black berries (when cooked) and edible flowers, has a very distinctive soft pit in the middle of the wood.
This pit is easily pushed out, leaving you with a hollow tube.
This can be very useful, as a drinking straw, or for blowing into a fire to get it to burn better.
This wood also happens to be ideal for friction fires, and an elder shrub almost always got some dead branches attached to it.

Aside from that you can make a flute from it, or a fishing bobber.  I made this detachable harpoon-arrow point from a piece of it, and put it on a shaft, and firehardenend it. I wonder if it would be effective enough for bow fishing.
Also reckon you could make a very nice detachable blunt-arrow head for birding and squirrels
People used blunts for these all the time, because you don't want your arrow sticking high up in the tree where these animals might be, if you miss your shot.
And they say you can make cordage from the bark, I've yet to try.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 3:24pm

blunt

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 7:49am

Made this not very serious bow under an hour from a piece of privet I had laying around
https://youtu.be/tagGXwT1WHk

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 8:17am

This is some great work! Didn't know that elderberry can be made into a tube either.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 11:47am

Cool! I have to find some privet.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 12:16pm

That would be a fun weapon to shoot.  Wink

How far are you drawing it? Looks like at least 20" if not 23ish. That's a tremendous overdraw for unbacked bows. Seems to be working though!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 4:25pm

I have made another common privet shortbow tonight. It's much better than this one and draws a hefty 42# at 17'', the heaviest bow I've made so far. Tomorrow I will finish it and hopefully shoot it, if it does not break.

@morphy, that's the fisheye lens playing tricks on you, I wasn't drawing that shorty further than half its length

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)