Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help me identify this sling (Read 1178 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Help me identify this sling
Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:03am

Whose sling design is this?  There are a lot of common elements from other slings, but there are also some unique-ish details... the whipping, the circular leather tab on the paracord.  Does anyone recognize this from slinging.org members past or present?

sling_007.jpg (68 KB | 32 )
sling_007.jpg

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Help me identify this sling
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:36am

That circular tab is definitely familiar but I can't put a name to it. Where did you find it?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:37am

I have seen that style from ashop on etsy.  Which most people are not amember here, but come here to lurk, and take ideas.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:55am

It's a guy in western Washington State who apparently just started selling on Amazon fairly recently.

https://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Sling-Shot-Rock-Black/dp/B07TZWTZ38

I was hoping he would have already introduced himself here at some point in the past, but if not, I hope he does soon.  We need more enterprising sling-makers to talk to each other and help each other out instead of seeing the world as a zero-sum game of competitive selling.   (That goes for all of you other lurkers too!) 

The only person in the last several years who it might be is MightyHunter, but he never posted any sling pics. PalouseSling is from the wrong side of Washington State, so unless he moved to the coast, I don't think it's him.  Lots of other people give introductions without saying where they are from though.

Come on folks... Please introduce yourselves!  You might even sell a few slings to us forum members! Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:58am

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:37am:
I have seen that style from ashop on etsy.  Which most people are not amember here, but come here to lurk, and take ideas.

You're right... also on Etsy with the same photos.  Looks like he gets 1 or 2 reviews a month.  I haven't run the analytics for his products on Amazon yet.  His name is Hans

https://www.etsy.com/shop/From12Another?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=8...

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:45pm

I actually just came across him the other day, while lurking on etsy. Since he hasn't been on Etsy very long,  i wonder how he got so many reviews, and i dont get many. But oh well. I know how mine hold up. Maybe if i post my letter when i got mine in a museum.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 6:36pm

Apparently he’s been selling on Amazon since 2019 too.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 4:45pm

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 5:54pm

Good find Sarosh! I remember Slingky.

It looks like he disappeared again after a couple months.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 4:16am

I remember him too. Didnt last long here.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 5:19am

I knew he'd been on the forum. That circular tab is really distinctive.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 5:50am

Eyelets have never worked out for me. I've tried them in webbing and leather. Last a week or two with the boys throwing stones they can handle. But rarely a full throwing session with me if I'm chucking big rocks. Just rip right through.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:21am

a wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 5:50am:
Eyelets have never worked out for me. I've tried them in webbing and leather. Last a week or two with the boys throwing stones they can handle. But rarely a full throwing session with me if I'm chucking big rocks. Just rip right through.

what are you slinging? I dont even put brass on leather and has no problem for what I can fit in the pouch

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:26am

Sarosh wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:21am:
what are you slinging? I dont even put brass on leather and has no problem for what I can fit in the pouch

Just rocks, but I throw big ones as hard as I can

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:30am

@kilisi, According to the description on Amazon, slingky uses a rubber o-ring under the eyelet to help prevent ripping. That o-ring would distribute the forces over a slightly larger area and compensate for irregularities in how the eyelet was compressed onto the leather.

I use 2 or 3 layers of leather when I put an eyelet on a sling, and I install it with a benchtop eyelet press to get uniform compression.  The handheld eyelet tools never worked well for me. And the hammer-and-die method for installing eyelets probably works fine in skilled hands, but my results were inconsistent when I tried it before I bought a press.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)