Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Your Worst Slinging Screw Up (Read 1606 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Your Worst Slinging Screw Up
Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:55pm

This isn't the first time this topic has been brought up but it's been a while so why not.
    I'll start the ball rolling.  I can't remember the reason why, but I borrowed my late wife's (Marie) car to take the Huskies to a local park for a dog walk and some slinging.  I was slinging some rocks into the lake when one big one slipped out of my sling prematurely, flew backwards, and hit the windshield of Marie's car.  It hit pretty hard but there was apparently no damage.  I drove home and forgot about it.
     The next night Marie came home from work very upset.  She had been driving behind a dump truck filled with pebbles and suddenly her windshield cracked badly.  She didn't actually see a stone hit her car but she assumed that's what had to have happened.
     I never told her the truth.  If you knew my wife you'd understand why. 
     I've had a few other slinging mishaps but that was probably the most expensive.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Your Worst Slinging Screw Up
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 5:18am

I've had a few that convinced me someone must be looking out over me. Here's one that I still remember vividly.

I had just made a new sling. It was a woven wool Peruvian. One thing I love about these slings is how cleanly they release ammo. Almost like they are barely holding it. So I usually used concrete ammo which is quite rough and never has premature releases. But that day I decided to use a very smooth stone so as not to mar the newly made pouch with rough concrete.

Dumb idea... the large stone flew straight up out of the pouch and immediately I realized I could hear children playing in an apartment complex nearby. I had no idea where the stone was going. Luckily it didn't hit anyone but landed fairly close to them.

Phew... that was a scary moment. I never did anything so stupid again.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 6:25am

This was when I was first learning thing. As everyone knows,  timing the release is key to the stone releasing right. I was still learning, so I'd had some situations where the stone would either hit the ground in front of me, or fly straight up in the air .
  One time I actually forgot to release, and whacked myself across the shin with the sling and stone. I never knew I could swear so creatively. Still have a small indent there.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2021 at 6:53am by slingbadger »  

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 6:51am

Nothing much for me.

I have hit a few people and broken a neighbours window and bounced a rock off his car, but none of those were accidental.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 7:36am

Nothing really bad has ever happened but the worst things have been:
  • shooting several tennis balls into a pretty heavily trafficked road 
  • smashing a flower pot
  • throwing a rock that hit my parents' house, centimetres away from several large panes of glass, then bouncing through an open door inside the house, missing a VERY expensive, design lamp, which I accidentally smashed an identical model of 15 years prior, missing several other expensive and fragile objects before safely landing under the sofa

That last one still amazes me. Had I destroyed something that day I might have left slinging all together.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 10:18am

a wrote on Jan 4th, 2021 at 6:51am:
Nothing much for me.

I have hit a few people and broken a neighbours window and bounced a rock off his car, but none of those were accidental.

ROFL  oh god my sides hurt from laughing...

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 10:24am

landed a stone on someone else's house once

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 11:09am

Nothing major for me.  There have been two times when I was close to hitting my camera (phone).  Both times were during the shield videos when I was throwing projectiles up in the air.  During the ice video, I had one land just a few feet from the camera.  And during the pumpkins, there was one that hit close and bumped into a leg of the tripod.  So just close calls at this point.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 11:31am

I can't think of any major memorable ones. I've had some close calls but none were all that serious luckily. I'm pretty careful. Everyone keeps warning me on my YouTube channel about where I sling because of passersby but it's the camera being deceptive with distances.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 12:35pm

I was teaching an old friend how to sling in NE PA at the Delaware water gap, using rocks. He got very close to hitting me in the head. The baseball sized rock went about 1foot from my face. I know only teach with tennis balls

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 2:57pm

My 6yo made up a game that basically amounted to me chasing him around the yard and trying to shoot him with a wool dryer ball, which is a lot like a sock ball. I was pretty gentle most of the time, because he’s 6... but one time he was at a full sprint and I got caught up in the moment. I was too focused on tracking him for the throw and just before he disappeared behind a bush, I tagged him... a little too hard... right in the crotch. Game over.  It was a beautiful center-of-mass shot, or at least it would have been if I had hit him anywhere else. He eventually forgave me, but I’m back to only slinging at stationary targets now.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 4:44pm

Once I was slinging while going for a walk with my girldfriend. The sling got stuck on a treebranch behind me during the turn and the rock whent off the pouch and hit her right in the head. Luckily it was without any speed as I had not yet put the force for the release. She slapped me with anger. I knew she was fine...

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 7:26pm

The worst thing that's happened to me was when I was shooting jagged stones with a split pouch. the stone got caught and yanked my arm, luckily I wasn't hurt to bad but it was definitely unpleasant.

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 12:18am

I was slinging in my backyard and the stone slipped out of the pouch and went straight up. It wouldn't have been a problem as that happens quite often, but this particular time it hit my mom directly on her head. Luckily I was using a smaller, light rock and it didn't hurt her very much, but that was the last time I slung anything besides her or any other family member. I'm not as careful around friends though.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:05am

I hit a car, cracked a window, wacked myself on the head a couple of times, even on the shin, and injured my shoulder.  Wink
Nothing too bad...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)