Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Long range slinging video (Read 1964 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Long range slinging video
Jan 3rd, 2021 at 12:08pm

This was a break from the competition, a bunch of us just having a good time slinging as far as we could.

https://youtu.be/SR8SjT7gnTQ

(I'm sorry Christian, honestly that was one of the thumbnail options that YouTube provided and it was by far the funniest so I used it Grin )

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Long range slinging video
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:43pm

Some nice techniques demonstrated.  I probably spend as much time slinging for the fences as I do actually aiming at something.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 12:46am

Who is the guy with the baseball hat?  His technique for power looks amazing.  You can really see the hip lead followed by scapula followed by shoulder then arm then sling!!!

This movement is what I have been working on for over six months now and still don't have it down... Amazing demo of the movement no sling at 1:15

oooh 3:54 and 5:08 and 5:29 also really good view of whip movement though the body.   This clip can be used as a training video!!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 1:49am

The baseball hat guy is Jaegoor. World Champion in 2017, the year after this was filmed.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 3:59am

I love your long tradition of documenting other slingers.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 10:16am

David Morningstar wrote on Jan 4th, 2021 at 1:49am:
The baseball hat guy is Jaegoor. World Champion in 2017, the year after this was filmed.

LoL I should have guessed that...  I have learnt so much from his posts here.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 11:24am

Rat Man wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:43pm:
I probably spend as much time slinging for the fences as I do actually aiming at something.

We finally have good snow for snowball making so distance shots are all I'm doing. It's all I've been doing for a while really as the weather was too awful to be out for any amount of time and my regular practice space has been underwater so I would just throw a few ice balls whilst out on short walks.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:15am

A thought while watching.

The amount of movement and the various steps required to get distance would have played merry Hell with keeping a formation when slings were weapons.  It would have had to have been very spread out which would have made concentrating the slingers difficult to impossible on a battlefield.  And make it hard to concentrate their efforts on one small area.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:27am

Bill Skinner wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:15am:
A thought while watching.

The amount of movement and the various steps required to get distance would have played merry Hell with keeping a formation when slings were weapons.  It would have had to have been very spread out which would have made concentrating the slingers difficult to impossible on a battlefield.  And make it hard to concentrate their efforts on one small area. 

I think that really depends on how you plan to use the slingers in battle.  It doesn't seem like any more motion than is required for throwing a spear or plumbata though.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 12:37pm

I'd say spreading out is good. If you are slinging at them, then they are slinging back at you. You want to leave plenty of empty space between you for enemy shots to fall into.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 8:00am

Although If you are slinging long range, I'd imagine formation becomes less important. At close range, it is whole different animal and a reasonably dense formation is possible with short slings (like the ones I use). Nevertheless, unless slingers are playing a skirmishing role, It makes sense to me that they would have a line of non-ranged troops in front or around to protect them. Or perhaps they each carried a spear to protect themselves in the event of flanking cavalry? Who knows.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 1:26pm

From my readings of classical period warfare, peltasts were highly mobile and would simply run away once any situation would get too sticky. They would run back between blocks of heavy infantry, gaps being left for this purpose which would close up for line combat. They would also be deployed on rough terrain unsuitable for cavalry.

Having been on the fiesta 'battlefield' in Cartagena twice I can say that being behind anyone immediately ends your effectiveness, since you cant see anything over the spears, helmet crests etc. Once our skirmish role was over and we retired to the back, I lobbed some blind shots over our infantry but that was just to look good for the crowd, it had no military value at all.

Dodging incoming arrows that have been shot from a distance at a high arc is perfectly possible assuming they arent so numerous that there is nowhere to dodge to. This is another excellent reason to practice your no-look reloads, because you want to have your eyes on the sky for your own safety. The invisibility of incoming sling bullets gives slingers another advantage over archers here.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 1:53pm

I would love to do something like Cartegena. Using a sling in a "battlefield" setting would be really interesting. Also fun Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2021 at 3:36pm

aha !
been looking for some video of hector slinging.
How has he not knocked himself out ?

Been working through all the various windups to releases recently.
And was trying to work out how hector did it.
yeah, I won't be replicating that !

There's one more video I'm looking for.
Don't know if you remember david.
It was when we were in the indoor market hall - with the sausage stall.
Was a few years back, as thomas was there.
Was that the year he and uwe had the famous shootout ? 

There was a guy on the right hand side of the hall with the weirdest windup and throw we'd ever seen.

I can't remember if you videoed him or i did. Or what year it was.   

All i remember is that it was totally bizarre.
Any ideas ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2021 at 4:50pm

I know the guy you mean, I dont film him because he is so unlike all the others and there isnt anything to recommend about his er, unique style.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris)