Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
YouTube video age-restricted (Read 1692 times)
a

a

a
Re: YouTube video age-restricted
Reply #15 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 7:34pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 2:30pm:
Now, just like any other business, money is the king.

It's actually a great business model, you get people to provide your content for free, then when you have a lot of unique content you sell access to it.

Lots of companies do it, not just social media, compliance information, identity info, govt info.... basically any way you can get free content and control it's access. You'd be surprised if you knew how much of your govt info is held by third party infrastructure.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 8:44pm

That’s the entire big-tech business model. Lose lots of venture capital money while building an audience, get valued over $1Billion without any revenue stream, then become a publicly traded company to pay back the venture capital. They don’t even try to make money for years and then it’s really haphazard and awkward when they finally do.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #17 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 8:54pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 2:30pm:
"Slinging Ice" is also slang for selling/using crystal meth.  That's probably your age restriction thing.

Ah.  I didn't know that.  Although it's a little strange that the first and second videos in that short series did not get the restriction.  All three start with 'Slinging Ice'.  Weird.  Huh

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 9:16pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 8:44pm:
That’s the entire big-tech business model. Lose lots of venture capital money while building an audience, get valued over $1Billion without any revenue stream, then become a publicly traded company to pay back the venture capital. They don’t even try to make money for years and then it’s really haphazard and awkward when they finally do.

For some, but others it's much easier, especially those working on govt grants.

Costs are zero since it's grant money, information has already been collected, so it's just a matter of controlling access and billing. Happens all the time in the third World and developing nations. Mostly USA startups doing the infrastructure. In the Pacific anyway. Africa as well I think, since the last 2 I've seen show up here databasing govt stuff were in Nigeria first.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:27pm

When I say “Big Tech”, I mean like Facebook, Google, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, etc. They all base their business on having a huge user base first and monetizing the audience second. The users become a commodity... that’s why people are basically treated like cattle. People’s information is the real product of the big tech companies, not the technology itself.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #20 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 12:44am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:27pm:
When I say “Big Tech”, I mean like Facebook, Google, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, etc. They all base their business on having a huge user base first and monetizing the audience second. The users become a commodity... that’s why people are basically treated like cattle. People’s information is the real product of the big tech companies, not the technology itself.

Just like "ladies' nights" at bars across the country and free (with ads) TV.  If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #21 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 4:22am

Oxnate wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 12:44am:
Just like "ladies' nights" at bars across the country and free (with ads) TV.  If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product.

Great analogy

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #22 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 10:28am

a wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 4:22am:
Oxnate wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 12:44am:

Great analogy

Found the original quote and another pic to illustrate the point.   Grin

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)