Send Topic Print
Left foot braking (Read 712 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Left foot braking
Dec 31st, 2020 at 12:14am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xl7O01h7MU4

I’m no racer, but I’ve ben playing around with left foot braking just to try it. Combined with copious use of the overdrive button, and it’s almost like I’m not driving a minivan full of children!

... except I still drive like a risk-averse parent hauling precious cargo.

One of my bucket list fantasies is to drive a minivan in an actual rally race. I doubt I could be seriously competitive even if the van was well-tuned and properly equipped. I mostly think it would be funny, but hey, it’s my bucket list Smiley

I used to drive a stick shift, so when I first started I was slamming the brakes like it was a clutch pedal, but I am getting better at left-foot braking with finesse. Has anyone else ever tried using both feet while driving an automatic transmission?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Left foot braking
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 12:33am

Only for about a minute when my dad was first teaching me how to drive.  The situation was basically described in the video.  I got to a point where I was pressing both pedals at the same time.  He quickly stopped me and said just use one foot.  Then if you're trying to stop the car, there's not another foot trying to keep it moving.

Now that I think about it, a long time ago I had a car that basically required it.  It didn't idle right and the engine would stall if it wasn't moving.  When at a stop light, I would hold the brake with the left foot and the gas (just a bit) with the right to keep it running.  That was just for a week or two until it got repaired.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 4:40am

Like most I tried when I first started and was shut down pretty quickly.  These days it makes more sense to me. If someone got into an accident or a near one I could see them panicking and hitting the gas instead. It would be fun though in a race.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 10:35am

I've driven a car with no cruise control on long trips.  One of 6 hours, after that I kept all trips under 3 hours.  My right foot started to cramp up from holding the same position for so long so I did learn to drive (and brake) with my left foot.  Basically, 30 minutes with the right, 10 with the left, repeat.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 12:08pm

@oxnate, I used to drive 7 hours each way between San Antonio and Lubbock every few weeks when I was in college. Sounds like your vehicle is just uncomfortable and left foot driving isn’t the real solution.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 2:03pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 12:08pm:
@oxnate, I used to drive 7 hours each way between San Antonio and Lubbock every few weeks when I was in college. Sounds like your vehicle is just uncomfortable and left foot driving isn’t the real solution.

Sorry, should have made that past tense.  I did finally save up enough money to buy a new (to me) car with cruise control two years ago.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 9:39pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 12:14am:
Has anyone else ever tried using both feet while driving an automatic transmission?

Yes, I have a very heavy left foot and sent the car into a slide a couple of times Sad

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:16pm

If you look at some of the other instructional videos from Team Oneil, they talk about drifting around corners and how it looks cool but from a racing perspective it’s slower than just slamming on the brakes and cornering properly.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 10:19pm

This is the first of a 3-part series of videos that’s also pretty good:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=twjZPaml7G0

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)