Send Topic Print
Cestrosphendone video (Read 1217 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Cestrosphendone video
Dec 30th, 2020 at 3:10pm

Damn, this was hard work. Two hours of shooting , and an hour of editing for a four minute video. Worth it though.

Let me know what you think, and dont hold back. This is my first attempt at an actual talking-to-the-camera YouTube presentation and some of you are a lot better at this than I am!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5PWq3XqGGw

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Cestrosphendone video
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 3:28pm

Ich finds gut.  Smiley
Macht spass selbst zu Filmen. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 4:21pm

Love it man!  Great description and presentation.  Hope to see more.

The only comment I would make is about audio level.  I run in to this all the time, trying to adjust the gain (during editing) so the audio level is roughly the same whether I'm close to the camera or standing away from it.  I feel that I never get it perfect, but close enough.  Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 4:35pm

Great video!  The videography part requires a whole different skill set, but more than that it takes some courage to put yourself out there and talk to the camera. Like slinging, you get better with practice (speaking as someone who is NOT good at that at all). Please keep ‘em coming!  I’d like to see more videos like this one!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:19pm

Very good job, imade one years ago, but couldn't get it to go. I will have to try it again.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 12:38am

Love it!  You look like you could be on discovery channel doing a documentary. 

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 10:21am

That's very awesome!

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 1:34pm

I definitely want to see more videos Cheesy I need to have another go at the Cestrosphendone. THe one I made was in the same style as your's David (pretty sure I based it on your posts on here) but I would really want a go at Sarosh's style. The original darts I made are also grossly oversized. I've already taken the duct tape fletchings (which were crap anyway) off and now have 4 throwing sticks with hex nut ends. Video coming on them once the weather isn't AWFUL.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #8 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 6:00pm

That was very cool

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 8:26am

Thanks for the encouragement!

I have started learning to use Shotcut for video editing following a recommendation from Kick and it is vastly better than Windows 10 Video Editor that I used to put that together.
For my next project I will get an external directional microphone to exclude background noise and use a proper camera where I can control the focus manually. I shot all that on my mobile phone and I lost a lot of closeup shots due to them not being in focus. I had to use one out-of-focus shot (the one about the release knot) because that was all I had.

I think the next thing I want to do is an absolute beginners 'Learn how to sling' video, replicating how I have been teaching people to sling at bushcraft events etc.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:09pm

And I got recommended Shotcut by Joe mead-maker Cheesy I'm itching to make more videos but the weather has been swinging from snow to rain so I can guarantee where I usually sling is a lake right now. Even once most of the water is gone it'll still be a mud pit for ages. I cannot wait to move and hopefully find something better. "Nearby areas to sling" is high on the list of priorities for a new place.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 4:42pm

Further adventures in Shotcut! To stretch my legs a little I took some of my slo-mo from Mallorca and speeded some bits of it up to normal speed, creating matrix style speed transitions with an added sound effect.

https://youtu.be/9LfslWSXT68

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 6:59am

Nice!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 10:46am

Very cool!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 4:55pm

Awesome work!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick)