Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TUTORIAL: Splicing and tapering fibre (Read 1941 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
TUTORIAL: Splicing and tapering fibre
Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:08pm

I've had a few requests for this one so thought I'd produce a quick tutorial and accompanying youtube video on the basics of splicing and tapering, using strand twist to lock in the loose ends. It is shown with manila fibre but the technique is applicable to thin twine also.

Youtube video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HazSOCpyjgg

Tutorial follows below:

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: TUTORIAL: Splicing and tapering fibre
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:08pm

In order to lock in the loose ends produced from tapering and splicing they are twisted tightly into the strand. It will not work well if you just braid across without twisting. Here the cyan arrow demonstrates the rotation direction and the red arrow shows the normal braid movement.

5strandtwistbraid.png (313 KB | 22 )
5strandtwistbraid.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:09pm

To taper the braid, take a strand which is about to be taken over into the braid. Separate out some material which you wish to drop and pull it above the main strand (2nd pic). Now, ignoring the top part twist and braid across the remainder of the strand as normal. Then continue braiding. It is important to cut material from strands, not cut strands out themselves, so the number of strands should be the same over the sling unless you make a conscious choice to *merge* strands. Keep tapering material out evenly from strands (thickest first) to produce the taper you require.

The best way to approach tapering is to not get too greedy and cut too much at a time, the more that is cut in one go the easier it is for the cut strand to come loose, and the worse the braid will go if it does come loose.

tapering.png (281 KB | 16 )
tapering.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Splicing is slightly harder than tapering because you have to mix the fibres yourself whilst at the tapering stage they are usually well integrated naturally.

First, take a bunch of fibre you wish to splice in and lay it behind the braid, aligned with the strand you wish to add it to. Then fully untwist both the receiving strand and the fibre you wish to add. To merge the fibres flatten them against each other with your fingers and sorta mush them together a bit. Now twist the resultant strand and braid it as usual.

The same goes for splicing as tapering- keep the additions relatively small and frequent, keep number of strands the same, and add evenly starting with the thinnest strands if possible.

splicing.png (454 KB | 20 )
splicing.png

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:10pm

Both splicing and tapering will leave a sticky out bit of fibre or twine. Simply snip this off to leave a clean and solid braid, the twist will keep the loose end in the braid if you merged the cord well.

tidyup.png (425 KB | 12 )
tidyup.png

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:21pm

Nice!  Thanks Judo!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:31pm

This is great! I'm glad to see that I'm not doing it much differently than you. I like your way of tapering better than how I've done it.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 6:02am

I've still never made a good Balearic sling this might push me to finally do it. Thanks!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 6:57am

I already have other plans, but maybe someone (with nothing better to do) could try this for the trash sling challenge!  A banana-peel Balearic would be an impressive contender Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 11:46am

Great tutorial,  even i understood it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)