Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trebuchet Sling Repair after Throwing Fireballs in a Fog (Read 1113 times)
Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Trebuchet Sling Repair after Throwing Fireballs in a Fog
Dec 28th, 2020 at 9:43pm

Yesterday we were beset by fog while throwing fireballs.  It was terrible conditions for ropes.  The chain anchor grew icy and sharp and wore through one of the strands in the sling.  I have spliced it back together.

In case you wondered what a natural-fiber rope netted trebuchet sling looks like after around a hundred shots and a few dozen fireballs...  In short, something out of the middle ages!

I am using the silver fid to point to the section that broke, with the broken strand at the top.

I have added leather chafe protection around the rings.

YouTube edit:  https://youtu.be/McP2L5FYBwY

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Trebuchet Sling Repair after Throwing Fireballs in a Fog
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 4:01am

That looks really cool Cheesy The fireballs in the fog looked awesome as well. Do you know what your furthest shot has been?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 10:27am

Who says you couldn’t have a little fun during the dark ages Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 11:39am

Sweet. Where are u located?

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:15pm

I'm in Northern Utah.  We were sending these 20lb fireball rocks 600ft, but we sent a bowling ball 850ft a few months ago and I think we can break 900ft in Spring.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:42pm

What do you do to lubricate the axle? It seems like friction would be the biggest killer of launch speed with your setup.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:22pm

Great video!  The fog adds a very cool aspect.

For some real fun, play the video from Dawesome21, and in another tab open this one so you can hear the sound from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSCxok55zwGrin

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 1:45am

Dawesome21 wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:15pm:
I'm in Northern Utah.  We were sending these 20lb fireball rocks 600ft, but we sent a bowling ball 850ft a few months ago and I think we can break 900ft in Spring.

That iis amazing, that scenery was beautiful

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 1:53am

IronGoober wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:42pm:
What do you do to lubricate the axle? It seems like friction would be the biggest killer of launch speed with your setup.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the friction is exactly but it is definitely there.  This year, before putting the machine together, I rubbed beeswax into all the negative bearing surfaces and then smothered all positive and negative surfaces with tallow (fat).  I think the tallow especially helped a lot in the first month or so (the machine was quiet when shooting), but it may have worn off by now.  When we went for distance I also dropped in some olive oil with a syringe into any nook I could get it into.  I've been trying to keep a theme of natural lubricants.

It would be cool to have a control test (bare wood on wood, then perhaps tallow added) to see the difference all that makes.  I have no clue.  Before our best shot this year, I squirted some olive oil into the main axle groove, and rubbed down the sling trough, and I think we gained 30-40 feet compared to the shot before it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 8:47am

You should also look at polymerizing oils on the wood friction surfaces. With enough heat and friction, soybean oil turns into something akin to Teflon. You can even pre-bake parts if they’re small enough. Tallow will probably do something similar, actually, so you may already be doing this slowly over time.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:23pm

Interesting.

Your videos are amazing, by the way. Very fun to watch.

I know very little about historical trebuchets, are the bearing surfaces just wood on wood? or can/do you use things like bronze bearings (they must've had bronze? right?).

John R.

IP Logged

Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 1:35am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 8:47am:
You should also look at polymerizing oils on the wood friction surfaces. With enough heat and friction, soybean oil turns into something akin to Teflon.

Whoa, I didn't know that about soybean oil.  Polymerizing oils.  I will have to look into that.

IronGoober wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:23pm:
Your videos are amazing, by the way. Very fun to watch.

I know very little about historical trebuchets, are the bearing surfaces just wood on wood? or can/do you use things like bronze bearings (they must've had bronze? right?).

Thank you!  The bearing surfaces are just wood on wood here (good to use different woods, one harder than the other).  There is an interesting article about this kind of stuff.  I should re-read it actually, it's been a while.  I think they had a lot of things (iron, bronze, etc) and certain setups were complex.  But a lot were simple and just wood vs. wood (thinking of grain mills mostly).

https://uccshes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/friction-and-lubrication-in-medieval
-europe-the-emergence-of-olive-oil-as-a-superior-agent.pdf

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 11:35pm

I was playing with polymerization of soybean oil on rocks for a while until my wife banned all stones from the kitchen Grin

Here’s an example.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)