Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why is a oval shaped pouch better than a square or circular one? (Read 839 times)
MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Why is a oval shaped pouch better than a square or circular one?
Dec 28th, 2020 at 4:14pm

I've been thinking of making a unique looking sling with an elongated Inca cross as the pouch shape, I only have a limited access to leather so I didn't want to end up having to scrap it if anything went wrong. Is there a reason why oval pouches are preferred over anything else? This picture below is a regular Inca cross and my idea was to just elongate it on one side and make it more rectangular.

download_001.png (0 KB | 13 )
download_001.png

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Why is a oval shaped pouch better than a square or circular one?
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 5:25pm

I'd say that the pouch is typically elongated simply for the reason that it needs to wrap around a stone.  It necessitates having one axis longer than the other if you want to use the minimal amount of material while still reliably holding a stone. Rectangular would work too, but you end up with material at the corners that serves little purpose.

Your pouch shape will certainly work.  Please post it when you do get around to making it, I'd love to see the finished product.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 6:04pm

Pretty much what IG said. I would also suggest it's human nature to refine the shape in a consistent way depending on their advancement. The aerodynamic shape that flows neatly from cords to pouch is probably just a natural progression of aesthetic.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 10:02pm

MirkoSling wrote on Dec 28th, 2020 at 4:14pm:
I only have a limited access to leather so I didn't want to end up having to scrap it if anything went wrong.

Keep an eye out for old, free leather couches on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and NextDoor. I see them pop up all the time. When I threw out my parents old couch, I got more than 50 slings out of the upholstery... and that’s after I threw out the half of the leather that smelled like a wet dog.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:22pm

IronGoober wrote on Dec 28th, 2020 at 5:25pm:
I'd say that the pouch is typically elongated simply for the reason that it needs to wrap around a stone.  It necessitates having one axis longer than the other if you want to use the minimal amount of material while still reliably holding a stone. Rectangular would work too, but you end up with material at the corners that serves little purpose.

Your pouch shape will certainly work.  Please post it when you do get around to making it, I'd love to see the finished product.

Here's the finished product, I used a pyrography pen to burn in the designs, and although it doesn't look the best I feel the uneven drawings adds personality Grin. It looks a little dirty cause it fell into the lake and I had to get my dog to fish it out. A problem I encountered with my design was that the tapered ends of the pouch in which the cord attaches would occasionally twist since its so thin, but I'm sure with a more refined design it wouldn't be a problem at all.

IMG_3169.jpg (50 KB | 24 )
IMG_3169.jpg

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:25pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 28th, 2020 at 10:02pm:
MirkoSling wrote on Dec 28th, 2020 at 4:14pm:
I only have a limited access to leather so I didn't want to end up having to scrap it if anything went wrong.

Keep an eye out for old, free leather couches on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and NextDoor. I see them pop up all the time. When I threw out my parents old couch, I got more than 50 slings out of the upholstery... and that’s after I threw out the half of the leather that smelled like a wet dog.

I never thought about that, I think I'll start doing that from now on instead of driving to hobby lobby for a tiny piece of leather. Thank you

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 6:26pm

Just be aware that upholstery leather behaves a little different than tooling leather. It’s always been fine for me for slings, but it’s definitely different from what most leatherworkers are used to.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:36pm

I like that sling! Neat design.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:00pm

That sling definitely has a "native" look to it.  Great looking design!  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 11:17pm

I've found that an elongated pouch puts more spin on your projectile.  That's why I generally prefer them.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 2:42am

That looks really cool. Great job!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick)