Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
425 Paracord burns way hotter than 550 (Read 717 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
425 Paracord burns way hotter than 550
Dec 26th, 2020 at 8:52pm

When I use paracord for slings, I go with the cheap route of cutting it and then melting the end with a BIC lighter.  For 550 I have the timing down pretty good.  You hit the end with the flame, give it a brief moment, then grab it with your fingers to remold as desired.

I'm working on a couple slings now with 425.  Wow!  This stuff seems to be way hotter.  I learned really quickly that the timing for 425 isn't the same as 550.  I've got a couple annoying burns on my index finger. Angry   But after melting more than 20 ends, I still don't seem to have the timing figured out as well as with 550 cord.

The 'Subject' of this topic was just a joke.  I think the real problem is the 425 cord has less material.  So there is a shorter amount of time between burning your fingers and still being able to manipulate the melted end.  Too short of a time for me so far.

I think that's my first rant on paracord.  Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: 425 Paracord burns way hotter than 550
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 9:12pm

Hmmm... now I’m going to have to try cutting 425 and 550 side-by-side on my hot knife.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 9:44am

I've never done this. At least not more than a dozen times.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 4:28pm

I’ve been tempted to try launching a kick starter for a paracord hot knife. There aren’t any products out there like the one I built for myself... especially not battery-operated and super portable. It’s just another one of those things that I haven’t made time for. There’s a lot of work between building something that works for myself and building something as a sellable product.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 8:44pm

I wish there was a little handheld one.  Maybe that could run off a 9V battery.  Although I would guess that might not be enough power to work well.  And something that small may not hold up over time.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 9:01pm

I could build one... although I would recommend an 18650 rechargeable battery. Those crank out higher currents, but a 9v would probably work if you really want a 9v. You would just burn through batteries really fast.
Hey, maybe we can work out a trade or something. I have lots of leftover parts in my garage, and it would be fun to build something handheld.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 1:55pm

Good call on a rechargeable battery.  That's a way better idea.

I would be curious to see what you can come up with.  I'm not sure what you'd be looking for in a trade, but I'll shoot you a PM.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 8:37pm

This might be just the kick-in-the-pants I need to actually work on the next prototype. Let me see what I can come up with.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 1:13am

Well... there’s no time like the present, so I decided to see how hard a handheld version would be to build. I did a really fast, absolutely horrendous proof-of-concept version using trash. When I say trash, I mean it literally...

The abomination pictured here is made from a broken flashlight, an old toilet paper roll holder, and the spring steel from a windshield wiper blade.  When you pull the plunger, it short-circuits a lithium battery through the heating wire.  If you let go, it turns off.  It’s not too terribly unsafe, but nevertheless it still probably belongs with Morphy’s boots at the bottom of a volcano. I learned what I wanted to learn from this monstrosity though: With even a half-hearted effort, a proper handheld paracord hot knife should be fairly simple to build... but it would also really help to have a lathe.

Now it’s time to work on an actual design Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:46am by NooneOfConsequence »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:02pm

Wow!  Looks like that could work really well.  I'm excited now!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)