Send Topic Print
a (Read 15077 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: a
Reply #195 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:41am

Morphy wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 6:30am:
I miss the glory days when people reveled in their assholery as opposed to running from it. 

Hey... I resemble that Smiley

There is an art to trolling well. When “a” crossed the line, I definitely channeled my inner asshole in response, but I hope y’all will not be afraid to call me out too when I cross the line. You have my permission Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #196 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:49am

Thank you Tomas. I know I can be antagonistic and can have strong opinions (earlier in this thread that can be seen in abundance), but I like the fact this forum has been a place where we can share our strong opinions. I can say that, as of this moment at least, I have no plans of going anywhere and deleting my scribblings.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #197 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 11:13am

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 8:39am:
This forum is ome of the very few i am on regularly.
I like this forum because there are so many strange topics that always sneaks its way into modern day discussion that really shouldn't do so. These topics, however, are almost completely absent from site.
I get a feeling that we all generally are very rational, realistic and down to earth.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #198 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 11:22am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:41am:
I miss the glory days when people reveled in their assholery as opposed to running from it. 

There is an art to trolling well. When “a” crossed the line, I definitely channeled my inner asshole in response, but I hope y’all will not be afraid to call me out too when I cross the line. You have my permission Grin

Unfortunately everyone’s line is different. Considering the amount of cultures and personality types I think we do fairly well all things considered.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #199 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:02pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 11:22am:

Unfortunately everyone’s line is different. Considering the amount of cultures and personality types I think we do fairly well all things considered.

Very true. Add a language barrier as well, and the potential for misunderstandings is pretty high. It’s impossible to never offend people, but I think we do pretty well in working out our differences most of the time. I’d rather let an offense lead to better understanding. The alternative is to avoid conflict and never learn from the misunderstandings.

In a different context, that’s one of the reasons that  my wife and I are still happily married after almost 20 years. We offend each other quite often (I may do more than my share of the offending), but we just duke it out instead of letting problems simmer under the surface Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #200 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:11pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:02pm:

Very true. Add a language barrier as well, and the potential for misunderstandings is pretty high. It’s impossible to never offend people, but I think we do pretty well in working out our differences most of the time. I’d rather let an offense lead to better understanding. The alternative is to avoid conflict and never learn from the misunderstandings.

In a different context, that’s one of the reasons that  my wife and I are still happily married after almost 20 years. We offend each other quite often (I may do more than my share of the offending), but we just duke it out instead of letting problems simmer under the surface Smiley

I like how you wrote you apologize as "we just duke it out". I've never heard that marriage idiom before.
I'll have to use that next Friday when I'm scheduled for my weekly apologies.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #201 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:15pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:11pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 12:02pm:

I like how you wrote you apologize as "we just duke it out". I've never heard that marriage idiom before.
I'll have to use that next Friday when I'm scheduled for my weekly apologies.

Much like slinging, proper form is very important. The  crook of the elbow of the right arm  goes to the middle of the upper forehead while the left palm extends at about chin level. This way, I can still look her in the eye while simultaneously apologizing and cowering in a corner.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #202 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 7:13pm

This isnt towards any single person. But there are people on this forum, that need to just chill. Its the internet.  I don't understand the people who try to act like tough guys, cuz in real life they need a reality check due to attitude.  This forum within the last year, has had a few threads that totally went off the rails.  I personally dont like it. This forum is ome of the very few i am on regularly.

My bad if that's me... I've had a pretty stressful time. I'm sure I've snapped at times.  Huh

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #203 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm

I’m trying to remember what else went off the rails recently.
I vaguely remember when Kick and I tried to start a flame war that one time, but when Kick didn’t like the cut of my jib, it caused me to do some serious self-reflection.  I eventually decided that he was right.  Regardless of the cut, it didn’t make sense to even have a jib since I’m not really into sailing and I’ve never owned a boat.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #204 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 11:12pm

We band together and uphold each other pretty well.
Nothing wrong with standing up for our friends and values

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #205 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 2:05am

Morphy wrote on Jan 24th, 2021 at 7:13pm:
This isnt towards any single person. But there are people on this forum, that need to just chill. Its the internet.  I don't understand the people who try to act like tough guys, cuz in real life they need a reality check due to attitude.  This forum within the last year, has had a few threads that totally went off the rails.  I personally dont like it. This forum is ome of the very few i am on regularly.

My bad if that's me... I've had a pretty stressful time. I'm sure I've snapped at times.  Huh

Definitely not u

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #206 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 11:35am

On the more serious subject of vaccines, I do have a very real concern about something called antibody-dependent enhacement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody-dependent_enhancement

This is a phenomenon where a vaccine appears to work for a little while but then later actually makes the vaccinated person more vulnerable to the disease.  Past attempts at vaccines for other corona viruses (used in the generic sense like a common cold... not COVID-19) have yielded this effect in animal studies.

The current vaccines are still experimental and have not been fully tested for this sort of thing.  I'm not saying that WILL happen, but we just don't know if it's a serious risk or not yet, and since I'm not at a high risk from Covid-19, that's another good reason for me to not want to be one of the first people to take the vaccine.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #207 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 3:01pm

I've said for awhile now that now that we have the super virulent strain of covid taking over we are one mutation away from the next plague. Hate to put it like that but it's true. Not saying this antibody enhancement will occur but I also see no rush to find out. Let the brave souls get it first.

We are not required to get the shot and since I get tested all the time and have previously been unable to get this disease (the kind of stuff I've had to do with Covid patients is crazy and no covid) so I think I'll wait until we have more understanding of any possible side effects.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #208 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 9:44am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 11:35am:
This is a phenomenon where a vaccine appears to work for a little while but then later actually makes the vaccinated person more vulnerable to the disease.  Past attempts at vaccines for other corona viruses (used in the generic sense like a common cold... not COVID-19) have yielded this effect in animal studies.

As far as I understand ADE, and  I don't mix with the kinds of people who would set me straight on the subtleties any more, you are pretty much open to the same danger regardless of whether the initial 'challenge' to the immune system came from a vaccine or the infectious agent itself. So you might just as easily run into this if you catch the newer variant (or the pedants might be insisting its a 'strain'?) following catching the original.

In any case I believe it is fair to say that the enhancement is a thing that might happen, rather than will.

The main reservation I have about the novel vaccine types is their selective nature. They only partially mimic the components of the virus, and so only prime one part of the immune system. The infection data suggests that is enough to stop serious illness, but it does mean there is initially a whole chunk of the immune system which isn't primed by the vaccine.

..but then... I used to worry about genetically modified crops, or meddling with anything we don't fully understand.

The whole immune system is immensely complicated and still not fully understood. Personally i think its a miracle most of us don't die young from one or other kind of autoimmune disease.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)