Send Topic Print
a (Read 15087 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: The Truth about 5G and COVID-19
Reply #165 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:16am

Another update:

Literally just got (like 20 minutes ago) the second shot. I know this thread died a bit and I considered making a new one but this keeps it all together. I've been told that the second shot usually leads to a slight fever and... well... loose stool so I'm... really... looking forward to that.

On a more serious note, I'm sure you've all seen I post on the forum a lot, probably more than I should. It almost certainly went unnoticed, but over the last two weeks,  I've posted less and when I have my replies have been pretty short. I've noticed it at least. Why is this? I've been busy. Why have I been busy? Our ward got hit by corona.

We went the whole of 2020 without a single case, but finally our luck ran out. I can't give out numbers, but safe to say, essentially our entire ward caught corona including a few carers. One person died before they could be tested, but there's no doubt in my mind corona killed them. They had symptoms. We are likely to lose at least one other (they may have already died,  I was off work yesterday). Due to a variety of reasons,  I was the last nurse standing that was a long term employee on our ward. There were a few days I was the only person there that had been on that ward more than a day. To say it's been stressful would be to understate just how much pressure myself and my colleagues have been under. I posted about this elsewhere, but this all kicked off literally less than a month after I was diagnosed with panic disorder. So yeah. I've not had a good time.

Now, I can hear you saying "But Kick, your residents all got vaccinated!" Yes, they did get the first shot, but we believe the were infected a few days before those shots. One shot isn't enough to give full protection and it takes a few days for it to truly become effective. We were just too late. That being said, one of the nurses brought in to help cover had worked last year on a ward that got hit by corona, and she was saying that, in comparison to those patients, ours are doing much better. They are all very ill, and, as I said, one died and another is surely soon to go, but they are still overall doing much better. They aren't in need of oxygen, they aren't in unbearable pain. For the most part, they have a slight cough and feel crappy. Did the vaccine help some of them keep the worst of the symptoms at bay? I don't  know and I don't think it can be known at this point. This is simply a singular interesting observation.

I'll update again if i develop symptoms from the vaccine because I feel it is important to document it, but again, this is just my experience and my word is not enough to base your decision to get the vaccine on. Hard science is.

If you aren't getting the vaccine, at least, for the love of all that is holy, wear a mask and stay away from crowds. I had to phone the daughter of the person that died. It was not fun.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #166 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 4:28am

Yeah... The vaccine which has currently been rolled out across multiple countries including to all of the care homes and all of the healthcare stuff in the entirety of Finland is actually the virus, but has lead to an outbreak on just our ward.

You might just be trolling Kilisi, but honestly, I'm past joking about the virus and, if you're being serious, then you're just making yourself look like a complete idiot.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #167 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 5:47am

Ooff.

Kick I saw you were posting less and you kind of had me worried my man. I knew you were going through some serious stuff. Thanks for the update though.  I hope things getting a little easier once they get their second shot.

We had a patient yesterday that was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. When I get a chance today I'll explain more. I think you might find it strange as well.

EDIT: Ok, story time. Picked up a patient suffering from respiratory distress at home yesterday. Patient was A&Ox4 with a GCS of 15. Patient was a little pale but otherwise answering questions at his baseline which is minor occasional confusion secondary to early onset dementia.

Everything normal so far right? Get this. This patient had a SPO2 level of 38%. Yes 38%, conscious, talking, answering all questions without too much difficulty. For those who dont know usually a patient at 70% unless they have very severe COPD is super cyanotic, in respiratory failure and on their way to pushing daisies unless immediate action is taken. At 50% unless you can get their O2 up quick you kiss their ass goodbye usually brain damage sets in above that level, paralysis, acidosis (which is very dangerous all by itself) and all the fun things that go with it.  50% O2 isn’t really half your ability to oxygenate. Your ability falls off rapidly like going off a cliff around 70% so the decrease is not linear in other words....just mind blowing. This case is the equivalent of a guy having a double traumatic amputation of both legs, squirting blood so profusely as to make Jackson Pollock spin in his grave and chatting about the weather. Just weird.

ANYWAYS, that’s my story. I’ve always loved Pathophysiology. So this really interested me.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2021 at 7:52am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #168 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:24am

@Kick... hang in there man. That’s really rough.

@Morphy... my first thought is: was it a faulty sensor? 
My second thought: if the sensor is working, how was the O2 level measured and where on the body?  The sensor must be placed in one spot, and it’s assumed that it represents a systemic reading, but there may have been a weird phenomenon where most of the body was getting O2 except where it was measured. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense that a patient would be ok.

@Kilisi - major foul man. This is not YOUR thread. This is a public forum. Don’t be an ass. There’s a time to joke around and then there’s a time to be serious or at the very least not say anything at all. It doesn’t matter what thread or what topic the conversation happens on. You don’t own this forum, and that attitude is not welcome here.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #169 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:30am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:24am:
@Kick... hang in there man. That’s really rough.

@Morphy... my first thought is: was it a faulty sensor? 
My second thought: if the sensor is working, how was the O2 level measured and where on the body?  The sensor must be placed in one spot, and it’s assumed that it represents a systemic reading, but there may have been a weird phenomenon where most of the body was getting O2 except where it was measured. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense that a patient would be ok.

@Kilisi - major foul man. This is not YOUR thread. This is a public forum. Don’t be an ass. There’s a time to joke around and then there’s a time to be serious or at the very least not say anything at all. It doesn’t matter what thread or what topic the conversation happens on. You don’t own this forum, and that attitude is not welcome here.

Multiple types of pulse ox's were used. Including the hospitals very accurate one. In different spots on the body. Radial pulse was weak but that shouldn't affect a pulse ox on the earlobe. End Tidal also confirmed this patient was in serious sh1t. He just hadn't figured it out yet. Needless to say we went through all the common problems for pulse ox malfunction.

There are situations where patients can have incredibly low O2 Sats and still be happily chatting away. They are often called "Happy Hypoxics". Covid is one disease process that is known for causing this. However he was negative for Covid. These patients do exist but I've sure as hell never seen one.

EDIT: "COVID-19 is primarily a respiratory illness, and a severe case can reduce the amount of oxygen that the lungs can absorb. Blood oxygen levels have been found to be very low in some COVID-19 patients.

As reported in various media sources, including Science, despite low blood oxygen levels, some patients appear to be functioning without serious issues or even shortness of breath.

According to the authors of the present research, the condition “is especially bewildering to physicians and is considered as defying basic biology.”

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-how-do-we-explain-happy-hypox...

The quote comes from the article. If this subject interests you this is a good read.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #170 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 9:32am

Kilisi, I came into work at half 1 and have now been updated on the situation. The person I thought might have died has not died. Yet. She is going to. Very soon. I've been looking after her and watching her deteriorate from brain cancer for over a year. When she arrived, she was walking and talking. Now her eyes don't focus and all she can do is moan.

A second resident isn't looking good. He doesn't have long either. I'm going to have to go inject him with morphine pretty soon to calm his breathing. I've been looking after him for 3 years. I speak English with him a lot. Every time I go into his room he shouts out my name and says "My friend! How are you?" Except he hasn't done that for about a week because he's been too tired. He's not eating or drinking anymore and his dialysis appointment has been cancelled.

I apologise profusely if I didn't find much humour in your joke.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #171 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 9:33am

Thank you for the concern Morphy and Nooc. I'm just doing the best I can.

I had heard reports of people with super low O2. Absolutely crazy.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #172 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:03am

Turns out the morphine wasn't needed. I went to take him some juice and he was dead. So long my friend.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #173 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:56am

I only said you made you made yourself look like an idiot if you actually believed what you wrote. If you do then... well...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #174 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 12:16pm

a wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:47am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:24am:
@Kilisi - major foul man. This is not YOUR thread. This is a public forum. Don’t be an ass.

Really? One person called me a complete idiot, now you're calling me an ass, and I'm the one with the attitude?.... kind of lame man. I'd be offended if I was that type.

I’m calling it how I see it K. If you find that offensive, then you lack the self-awareness and humility to realize that your joking was inappropriate and that you were acting like an ass.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #175 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 12:35pm

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #176 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:36pm

If that meme is true I'm a god damn Olympic level athlete Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #177 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 10:37pm

Kick wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:36pm:
If that meme is true I'm a god damn Olympic level athlete Grin

You and me both buddy. I had one once before I got into the medical field and straight up thought I was having a heart attack. Crazy stuff. Anxiety and panic attacks are super common calls for us. It's affecting tons of people. Wish I knew what was causing it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #178 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 1:34am

a wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:49am:
No worries, I'm a bit callous to first World problems. I've seen violent messy deaths.

People in the first world have traumatic experiences too Kilisi. I’ve outlived 3 of my children. You’re not the only person to ever suffer. The strong ones work through the emotions and keep showing up instead of hiding behind humor and tough guy acts.  It takes a much bigger person to actually care about others. Kick shows up and cares for people that he knows are going to die... and he keeps caring even when it almost breaks him.  When you mock him for that, you deserve to be called an ass. Get over yourself.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #179 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 5:29am

Thank you Nooc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)