Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pros and Cons of Different Sling Releases (Read 1294 times)
MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Pros and Cons of Different Sling Releases
Dec 18th, 2020 at 10:32pm

What are the advantages and disadvantages of different sling release styles. I've seen some pictures with slings using a round bead and others using a tab. Is there any difference is the performance of the sling? Would it be more difficult for a complete beginner to learn with a specific type of release?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Pros and Cons of Different Sling Releases
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 10:37pm

You can ask 5 different people on here and get 5 different answers.

Here is my opinion: Knots - They are effective, great for beginners and great for heavy rocks.  But you can end up having the knot be "grabby" and you don't always release when you want to. Great to start out with this, but many migrate away from it.

Full grip, smooth release cord - This can also be good for large stones, if the cord is thick enough. I don't prefer it because it tends to give me rope-burn. You tend get a nice crack with each release, which can be satisfying.

Tab - My preferred method. Can be used for large stones with enough training. Cleanest release in my experience. Also silences the sling so it doesn't make much noise. This may be useful if it was ever needed for hunting.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 10:40pm

It’s really personal preference. There may be a slight timing difference (like milliseconds), but you can compensate for any delay as long as it’s consistent.   You can also change the delay based on how hard you squeeze the release cord.

I personally prefer a simple overhand knot on my slings, but they use 425 paracord, which is pretty thin, so the knot isn’t very big. I’ve never had a “sticky release”. If anything I release too early, but it’s possible that I just wasn’t aware of that particular problem because I am always a bad shot Smiley

I would not recommend smooth cords without any knot or tab for a beginner though. You will want to grip the same spot every time for consistency, and it helps to have a feature like a bead, tab, or knot to index off of.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 10:58pm

Just to add to what the guys have already mentioned, with a smooth release cord you need to pay much more attention to where the projectile is sitting in the pouch.  As NOC mentioned, you don't have a specific grip point (knot, bead, or tab) to keep that position consistent.

I use a smooth release cord with some of my braided slings.  Although in the winter I'll often tie a little knot in it because a smooth cord can be difficult to hang on to when your fingers start getting cold.  Wink

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 11:07pm

I use a rather small knot and a 3-4 finger grip, I also trained in 1-2 throwing styles almost exclusively and as a result, I can cast even heavy rocks pretty accurately without much of a drop in accuracy.

At least in my experience having a consistent release grip point means an increase in ROF, and requires less thinking from shot to shot as my focus has always been on muscle memory and technique perfection.

I've also found that having a consistent release grip point allows me to change my release angle and timing on the fly. so I can shoot at things in the sky or on the ground or even in a small cone on each side.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 12:18am

Tab. I also like a tight fitting loop. Both your grip on the release cord and where the retention cord is at can potentially affect point of impact. It's much more obvious when doing a drastic change like switching fingers but it still applies to a much lesser extent to differences in position from shot to shot.

A well made tab in my opinion gives the most instant release.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 2:23am

For what it's worth I go with a release knot.  Members have sent me slings with tabs and they work just fine for me too.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 2:52am

I would agree with what has been said about knots as a release for beginners.  Its easier to incorporate while learning how to make slings. Then you can switch to whichever as you get more experience.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 4:26am

Depends on the material for me. On 550 cord I don't go larger than a simple overhand knot with some cord sticking out for the rest of my fingers to grab on to. Anything larger in diameter and I drop the knot. On vegetal fibre slings I go smooth release cord with about an inch of loose fibers sticking out the other end of my hand, this is the most accurate in my experience

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 11:13pm

It seems a fair bit of unnecessary work to make  tab when you can just tie a knot. Ideally I'd have neither, but with a braided sling you have to tie a knot anyway to keep the ends together.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2020 at 5:34am

a wrote on Dec 19th, 2020 at 11:13pm:
It seems a fair bit of unnecessary work to make  tab when you can just tie a knot. Ideally I'd have neither, but with a braided sling you have to tie a knot anyway to keep the ends together.

True but the knot on Balearic slings don't serve as a grip point, it's usually a tiny overhand knot just at the end before the loose fiber bundle, used to secure the end of the braid, and it is as flat as the rest of the cord so it doesn't interfere when you release.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2020 at 6:06pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Dec 20th, 2020 at 5:34am:
True but the knot on Balearic slings don't serve as a grip point, it's usually a tiny overhand knot just at the end before the loose fiber bundle, used to secure the end of the braid, and it is as flat as the rest of the cord so it doesn't interfere when you release.

I've never seen one... so what do they grip then?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2020 at 6:30pm

The Balearic Islands have no knot to grab.  You grab the sling.  There are several methods of gripping the sling.  This will shorten or lengthen the sling.  Therefore there is no tight grip knot.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 6:12am

sling_grip_001.png (404 KB | 9 )
sling_grip_001.png

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 6:24am

Eine Möglichkeit

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)