Send Topic Print
How do you aim? (Read 1102 times)
Ravenkeep
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tomball, TX
How do you aim?
Dec 16th, 2020 at 3:13pm

That is probably a dumb question. Considering I have not found it anywhere. I own a slingshot, and with it there was a method for aiming. How in the world do you aim with a rock sling? Obviously I can’t mount a riffle scope on it.  Undecided

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: How do you aim?
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 3:40pm

Instinctively, intuitively, through a combination of all your senses, gained through much practice, combined with a little bit of luck. 

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Ravenkeep
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tomball, TX
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 3:55pm

Well, no wonder I could never find any answers. There isn’t a technical answer. So, I am assuming by your statement, I should aim the same way I would if I was just throwing a ball? OK, I can work with that. Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:03pm

I was taught a technique where you visualize the trajectory of the stone as it flies.

First.
You need to gain knowledge of where you stone will release when using a specific technique. For example, if you use a sidearm throw the stone will release somewhere at your side. If you use an underhand, somewhere over your head.

Second.
Gain experience at how the stone will fly (i.e. in a smooth or steep parabola, or something else) based of the amount of power in your throw, the technique you use and the time of the release.

Third.
With your knowledge of the technique, release point and the power you use in a throw, whenever you throw, visualize how you think the stone will fly as a stippled line, from the point of release, through the presumed trajectory, till it lands on target.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:03pm

Practice with tennis balls. Not rocks, due to the occasion that a rock will go completely behind you. And break windows. But its learning the angles of how your sling releases the ammo.

IP Logged

Ravenkeep
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tomball, TX
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:23pm

Slyngorn,

That is a little more technical. Thank you.

vetryan15 wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:03pm:
Practice with tennis balls. Not rocks, due to the occasion that a rock will go completely behind you. And break windows.

Yikes!! So much for practicing in my backyard. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:34pm

The answer is quite simple when you think about it. You don’t. You can’t point and “aim” a sling at something in the same way you can’t “aim” a throw. It’s all just muscle memory and coordination.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:39pm

@Ravenkeep, I agree with what others have said... on a practical level, it takes practice and muscle memory... but if you want a more technical explanation of the mechanics, maybe this will help:

A sling is a resonant system.  This means that aiming is synonymous with control of the timing.  The way to aim is to be precise with the timing of your motions relative to the rotation of the sling around your hand.

Let's use a 2D simplified example.  Imagine, for example that you are looking down at the top of a slinger's head and they are facing a target while "helicoptering" the sling clockwise (from your top-down perspective).  Let's also assume that the slinger is somehow helicoptering while their hand is directly on top of their head for simplicity, so it doesn't matter if they are left or right handed.  If the ammo leaves the pouch when the sling is 90-degrees to the left of the slinger, it will fly straight ahead toward the target, but there will be a lateral offset to the left of the target that is equivalent to the length of the sling.

We'll call this straight-ahead throw your "zero point".  Relative to this, if you want to shift the aim to the right, then the ammo needs to be released later.  If you want to shift your aim to the left, you release earlier.

This is a gross oversimplification that ignores the forward motion of the arm during the throw, but it is a useful mental model for understanding the relationship between your aim point and your timing. 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:53pm

By the way... not a dumb question at all.  The sling is just unusual in how it works compared to most other projectile weapons.  The ready-to-fire state for a sling is swinging in a circle.  The equivalent for a slingshot or a bow is where the ammo is drawn backward and resting in one position.  A bow and slingshot store energy as potential energy in a stretched "spring" but a sling stores kinetic energy like a flywheel.  You can hit what you are trying to hit with a sling, but it's awkward to even talk about it using the term "aiming" because the ammo is in constant motion before you take the shot.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Ravenkeep
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tomball, TX
Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:55pm

SerKraus wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:34pm:
The answer is quite simple when you think about it. You don’t. You can’t point and “aim” a sling at something in the same way you can’t “aim” a throw. It’s all just muscle memory and coordination.

OH! Now I get it! I have been viewing aiming in black and white. My view/understanding/expectation was too technical. OK. I understand how it works now. Thank you.  Smiley

IP Logged

Ravenkeep
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tomball, TX
Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 5:04pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 4:53pm:
By the way... not a dumb question at all.  The sling is just unusual in how it works compared to most other projectile weapons.  The ready-to-fire state for a sling is swinging in a circle.  The equivalent for a slingshot or a bow is where the ammo is drawn backward and resting in one position.  A bow and slingshot store energy as potential energy in a stretched "spring" but a sling stores kinetic energy like a flywheel.  You can hit what you are trying to hit with a sling, but it's awkward to even talk about it using the term "aiming" because the ammo is in constant motion before you take the shot.

That is an excellent explanation. Simple and technical at the same time. Cool!  Cool Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 5:32pm

The sling is just an assisted throw.
I find it useful to think of it that way.

Just like throwing, you need to get a sense for how things feel when you are successful. Like when you throw a ball, you can feel when you release to early, or too late, from how the ball rolls off your fingers. You need tactile feedback to compensate.  It will be slightly different with a sling, since there is no direct contact with the ball, but there is still feedback. Practice helps develop this feedback.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:25pm

Es ist möglich zu Zielen. Man zielt mit zielt mit dem bauchnabel. Insgesamt ist es ein zielen durch eine genaue wiederholtbarer Bewegung. Instinktiv genau zu schießen funktioniert nur mit einer genauen Abfolge. Sie benötigen viel Training.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:36pm

Haha great question but you will soon realize it's not the aiming that's the problem it's the consistency. That's what you will spend the next 20 years working on lol.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:27pm

Muscle memory, sub conscious!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick)