Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fire for effect (Read 1301 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Fire for effect
Dec 16th, 2020 at 12:19am

A few days ago, NovaHammer asked if you can fire for effect with a sling. 
OF COURSE everyone said... shotslings!

...but then I started thinking (which is always dangerous):

https://youtu.be/QYsjzYqgSyk

And there's your answer NovaHammer.  Fire for effect is not plausible with a normal sling, but it is maybe plausible with multiple slings!

Plausible at least at ~10 yards, that is.  The ammo stayed surprisingly close together, so now I really want to try this at longer distances!  Also, this could be optimized more by using exactly identical slings instead of "roughly identical" ones, etc.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Fire for effect
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 12:46am

Works better than I was expecting. Good stuff nooc

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 12:54am

I was very surprised by how close together the tennis balls were. You can see the slings aren’t exactly the same length, and the friction is a little different on each one too, so there’s definitely room for improvement.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 8:35am

Wow!  That worked pretty well.  Thumbs Up

I think I need to give that a try!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 9:01am

It works surprisingly well. I like it! Nice set up too.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:24am

Morphy wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 9:01am:
It works surprisingly well. I like it! Nice set up too.

Thank Iron Goober’s pumpkin challenge prize for that setup!  The dappled shade in my yard is great for enjoying South Texas “winter” but terrible for shooting video. The DG target shades the Bullseye and makes it a little easier to see what’s going on. Otherwise I would have to limit filming to cloudy days.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:11pm

Demonstration of a triple sling in Sollér.  The sling was also called the Red Baron.

_20201217_220804.JPG (113 KB | 17 )
_20201217_220804.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:11pm

That is great. The concept, picture, and especially the name!

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:14pm

Yeah that’s a great shot for sure, that’s a magical weapon in a video game for sure

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:45pm

Or you can throw three pokemon balls at once.  😁 😂

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 8:28pm

@Jaegoor - What was the projectile path for that triple sling?  Did they stay together, or spread out because of the variation in length for each pouch?

That's pretty much exactly what I would like to try to make.  I am still deciding on having the pouches at varying lengths, or all at the same length.  I suppose it would be best to do both and actually see the difference.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 4:16am

The Red Baron, super cool Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 8:02am

The sling was meant to be fun.  Shooting with it was interesting.  There was a wide distribution at sidehand.  Good for rabbits.  😁 There was a line overhand.  With different heavy stones, you could actually hit a target three times.  Fundibularius built this sling.  We developed a double sling.  The idea behind it was the shot from the book Ayla.  Today the red baron is in a museum in Sollér.  I gave this sling to Mateu Cañellas rocka.  He was el presidente the Federacio balear de tir de fona.  He organized the first international meeting in Sollér.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)