Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
One Good Survival Tip (Read 10822 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: One Good Survival Tip
Reply #90 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 2:38pm

I saw him give a live talk about 10 years ago. He is the genuine article as far as I can see. He isn't interested in the theatrics and he is always giving the credit where it's due for his skills: the people that actually live, and have lived for thousands of years, in those areas/climates/conditions. I still remember one of the really cool things he did where he sets up his main "base camp" where himself and the crew will be staying for the next few weeks, and constructs a table with benches out bamboo with nothing but a machete Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #91 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 3:08pm

Mors Kochanski is a legend.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #92 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 3:14pm

Kick wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 2:38pm:
I saw him give a live talk about 10 years ago. He is the genuine article as far as I can see. He isn't interested in the theatrics and he is always giving the credit where it's due for his skills: the people that actually live, and have lived for thousands of years, in those areas/climates/conditions. I still remember one of the really cool things he did where he sets up his main "base camp" where himself and the crew will be staying for the next few weeks, and constructs a table with benches out bamboo with nothing but a machete Cheesy

Yes Ray Mears is the Sir David Attenborough of Bushcraft. He’s a wonderful credit to indigenous knowledge. You are very lucky to have listened to him talk. He has a two part episode with an African tribe. The second time he came back was years later and they all watched and reminisced about his first visit. I’ll be damned if I can watch that second episode without tearing up. Man what an amazing people and lifestyle they have. I bet things like depression, heart disease and many other issues are unheard of among them.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #93 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:29pm

In the Northeastern forests I'm familiar with acorns would be my key to surviving the Winter.  In the late Summer and Fall they are everywhere.  Gathering literally a ton or more is possible.  Of course I'd have to devise a means of processing them. If my life depended on it I'm sure I'd figure something out.  I read that the Native Americans would crush them up and put them in a tightly woven basket then place the basket in a fast moving stream or under a small waterfall for a few days.  After that of course they'd have to dry the product and crush it into flour.  Acorn flour is very nutritious; even more so than wheat flour I've read.  I would probably bake most of mine into a hard flatbread to preserve it.  Of course this plan is contingent to me living long enough to pull it off.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #94 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:46pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:29pm:
    In the Northeastern forests I'm familiar with acorns would be my key to surviving the Winter.  In the late Summer and Fall they are everywhere.  Gathering literally a ton or more is possible.  Of course I'd have to devise a means of processing them. If my life depended on it I'm sure I'd figure something out.  I read that the Native Americans would crush them up and put them in a tightly woven basket then place the basket in a fast moving stream or under a small waterfall for a few days.  After that of course they'd have to dry the product and crush it into flour.  Acorn flour is very nutritious; even more so than wheat flour I've read.  I would probably bake most of mine into a hard flatbread to preserve it.  Of course this plan is contingent to me living long enough to pull it off.

Try it sometime.  I tried it when I was younger and didn't care for the taste.  I should try it again this year.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #95 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 3:17pm

Acorns were a staple of some North American natives... I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

I read the same thing RM, only I thought they would leave them there for weeks to leech out the bitter tannins.  Once the tannins are gone, the acorn pretty much tastes just like any other nut.

Apparently there is a very rare genetic anomaly where some oak trees will produce acorns without tannins and you can eat them right off the tree.  It's a recessive gene mutation though, so if that tree breeds with others, you get tannins again.  Oak pollen travels so far that it would be nearly impossible to breed (if you could find two trees with the mutation) unless you grew your oak orchard in some sort of bio dome bubble. Finding one of these rare oak trees is on my bucket list. 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #96 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 5:00pm

I've read as a general rule that the more the cap covers an acorn the less tannins are in it. Supposedly Overcup oaks can be eaten right off the tree. That's what I read anyways. No idea if it's true.

The problem with oaks when it comes to cross pollination is how easily hybridization occurs. It can be hard to accurately id them to a species because of this even for experts.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #97 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:47pm

LOL, not a rare genetic anomaly. Quercus emory (emory oak) produces edible acorns yearly. No boiling necessary. We harvest them and pinyons just about every year. The acorns in July/August. Pinyons September/October.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #98 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 8:54pm

Emory oak acorns from a tree along side our driveway
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2021 at 3:50pm by Rat Man »  

Acorns.jpg (382 KB | 23 )
Acorns.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #99 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 8:57am

Oxnate wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:46pm:
Rat Man wrote on Jan 29th, 2021 at 2:29pm:

Try it sometime.  I tried it when I was younger and didn't care for the taste.  I should try it again this year.

I tried it once years ago but I went off half cocked and did it wrong.  I tried to process the acorns whole rather than crushing them first.  All of the boiling and rinsing in the world didn't help. It was a total failure.  I'll try it again this Fall but this time I'll crush them.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #100 - Jan 30th, 2021 at 10:01am

Looks like you are damn near famine proof Walter. At least more than me. Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #101 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 4:56pm

IronGoober wrote on Jan 27th, 2021 at 9:06pm:
joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:28pm:
Rat Man wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:36pm:
The most fake one IMO, thought I've watched and enjoyed the show, is Dual Survival.

I liked Dual Survival at the beginning when it had Dave Canterbury.

I agree that Les is definitely at the top.  He has pretty much all of his content on YouTube now.  All of Survivorman, and new stuff.  If you haven't seen them, I recommend checking out his director's commentary episodes.  He basically watches an episode of Survivorman and tells stories about other things that were happening.

I liked Cody. Hippie to the core, made him fun to watch.  His interactions with Dave were entertaining, if a bit forced by the producers.

Cody was always my favorite too.  If I was going to be stranded with any of the Dual Survival "experts" I would pick Cody.  He would be my best chance of surviving.  Matt Graham wasn't bad either.  He has some mad bushcraft building skills.  If I was stranded with Joe Teti I'd end up killing and eating him just to shut him up.  Dave Canterbury was OK too.  He was a pretty tough guy.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #102 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:11am

The stone age hunter gatherers that lived around here buried acorns in piles of sand and lit a fire on top of it. That removed both the tannin and made them fit for long term storage.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #103 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 11:15pm

Slyngorm wrote on Feb 2nd, 2021 at 8:11am:
The stone age hunter gatherers that lived around here buried acorns in piles of sand and lit a fire on top of it. That removed both the tannin and made them fit for long term storage.

I never heard that before.  If that works it is a very easy solution.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)