Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
One Good Survival Tip (Read 10524 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: One Good Survival Tip
Reply #75 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 6:49am

Oxnate wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 6:52pm:
Rat Man wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 12:29pm:
Morphy wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 7:43pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:57pm:
DONT listen toBear Grylls. Don't  drink your pee.

But...but....

And don't drink elephant dung water.

Yeah, that was by far the worst "survival" advice I've ever seen/heard.

Total fraud. He eats with the crew and motels it at night. Now he's built an amusement park so you can share his "adventures".

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #76 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:04am

I love how he was caught while filming in Asia, he was in a hotel in a chatroom. Instead of camped out in his little shelter

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #77 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:56am

While the diet of hunter gathers is a still hotly debated mainly due to availability of quality data and fluctuation depending on what environment they lived in there is absolutely no doubt that foraging has always been the source of at least a substantial amount of calories among HG peoples. The only environments where foraging was negligible were arctic areas.

The single most well studied HG people, the !kung, got 70% of their calories from gathered plants but then again they were also shorter than modern day people.
https://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-3f.shtml

Foraging goes hand in hand with hunting because they both support the other. Whether you hunt or forage it involves going into the woods and coming back after a few hours. Combining either with agriculture on the other hand is difficult because when you scale field work up it requires intensive working hours.
To add, foraging isn't just gathering plants and mushrooms but also eggs, clams and similar. 

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #78 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:31pm

If you are ever in a situation where you are reduced to eating bugs avoid the brightly colored ones.  They are the ones packing something special that will almost assuredly make you sick.  The bright colors are natures way of saying, "Go on, I dare you."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #79 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:36pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:04am:
I love how he was caught while filming in Asia, he was in a hotel in a chatroom. Instead of camped out in his little shelter

The one who puts the others to shame is Les Stroud, the Survivorman.  On every other survival show there are camera crews, producers, a medical team, etc.  On Survivorman it's just Les and his cameras.  He is the real deal.
   The most fake one IMO, thought I've watched and enjoyed the show, is Dual Survival.  If anyone did some of the crap they supposedly do you'd surely die.  I remember one episode where they were filming in Kentucky.  It was rainy and cold; just above freezing. Joe couldn't make it back to camp so he decided to just hunker down for the night in some wet leaves.   I dare anyone to sleep all night in a pile of wet leaves when it's forty degrees Fahrenheit out. This is just one of countless examples.  Though there is some good  info to be had the show is full of illogical to impossible scenarios.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #80 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:52pm

Oh Les is amazing. He actually just put out his complete collection on dvd, all 20 years of everything he has ever made for $150. Its on my wish list.

There was some good stuff to learn from dual survival,  but mostly for the primitive living skills  instructors. I actually sent Matt Graham some slings a couple years back. He absolutely loved em

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #81 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:28pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:36pm:
The most fake one IMO, thought I've watched and enjoyed the show, is Dual Survival.

I liked Dual Survival at the beginning when it had Dave Canterbury.

I agree that Les is definitely at the top.  He has pretty much all of his content on YouTube now.  All of Survivorman, and new stuff.  If you haven't seen them, I recommend checking out his director's commentary episodes.  He basically watches an episode of Survivorman and tells stories about other things that were happening.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #82 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 1:07pm

SurvivorMan, Les Stroud, answers a bunch of Survival questions.

https://youtu.be/hblks-lQhVo

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #83 - Jan 27th, 2021 at 9:06pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 2:28pm:
Rat Man wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 12:36pm:
The most fake one IMO, thought I've watched and enjoyed the show, is Dual Survival.

I liked Dual Survival at the beginning when it had Dave Canterbury.

I agree that Les is definitely at the top.  He has pretty much all of his content on YouTube now.  All of Survivorman, and new stuff.  If you haven't seen them, I recommend checking out his director's commentary episodes.  He basically watches an episode of Survivorman and tells stories about other things that were happening.

I liked Cody. Hippie to the core, made him fun to watch.  His interactions with Dave were entertaining, if a bit forced by the producers.

John R.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #84 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:09am

I still can't fully make Grylls out.

He's claimed SAS training and injury in training, he's climbed Everest. Isn't he head of the British Scouting Association? If any of this was fake I would have thought he would have been called out long ago.

I've rationalized it all on the basis that - unlike some others like Mears or Stroud - he has gone to the 'dark side' of modern television production where superficial 'excitement' is king. For sure the producers don't care much about truth and accuracy. That might be even worse, because he knows better than what he embodying/

I most 'admired' (sarcasm) his recipe for how to kill himself any number of ways in a Utah slot canyon by heading downstream, swimming under log jams if I remember correctly and then conveniently finding a place to demonstrate his climbing skills to get out. Anyone who has been in those kind of places probably shares my amazement.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #85 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 11:44am

wanderer wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 10:09am:

If any of this was fake I would have thought he would have been called out long ago.

Here you go: https://www.looper.com/149724/bear-grylls-stunts-that-were-totally-fake/

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #86 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:06pm

The problem isnt his military service.  The problem is he lies, and gets caught at it, mutiple times. Bear Grylls might be a survival expert,  but on the list of the top rankimg. He is dead last. If you follow his advice of drinking urine,  you will die. Please understand that. He is a show man, on a tv show.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #87 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:33pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:06pm:
The problem isnt his military service.  The problem is he lies, and gets caught at it, mutiple times. Bear Grylls might be a survival expert,  but on the list of the top rankimg. He is dead last. If you follow his advice of drinking urine,  you will die. Please understand that. He is a show man, on a tv show.

Or his advice to drink elephant dung water.  By far my choice for worst "survival" advice ever.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #88 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:37pm

Oxnate wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 11:44am:

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:06pm:

I think actually we all agree.

But he is simply playing the 'fantasy' game which for some reason or other became known as 'reality TV'. The producers of these shows control the way things go, not the front man. They are selling fantasy to their watchers.

What Grylls has apparently done has traded his integrity for the gig, and appears OK with the risk that some enthusiastic watcher is going to get themselves in serious harm following his advice. Not really the kind of depth of character I might have hoped for a Scouting Association!

I thought it was perfectly clear I'm not defending him - I think it is irresponsible for him to act as he does.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #89 - Jan 28th, 2021 at 12:54pm

Ray Mears has been a favorite of mine for years. I don't know much about the guy but at least the way he carries himself while filming seems like he's a class act. I've watched all his stuff more times than I can remember.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus)