Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
One Good Survival Tip (Read 10513 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: One Good Survival Tip
Reply #45 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 6:26pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 23rd, 2020 at 8:14am:
Survival tip-

Foraging and trapping before hunting unless you really know the area and weapon well.

For me the operative phrase in the original question is “long term survival”. Hunting and farming make more sense than foraging if you’re stuck somewhere for a long time, and presumably you would know the area you’re in long-term.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #46 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 9:43pm

"... seems gross to eat somethings head."
LOL done only In poor taste   Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #47 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 2:45pm

a wrote on Dec 23rd, 2020 at 6:11pm:
Rat Man wrote on Dec 23rd, 2020 at 2:36pm:
Many are fatty like those big white log grubs.  I see people eating them raw on TV. 

They're delicious, after you choked down the first you would have no problem eating them cooked or raw.

They taste like peanut butter. Smooth if raw, crunchy if cooked. I bite just behind the head and throw the head away. Not because it's inedible, just because it seems gross to eat somethings head.

You're probably right.  I've eaten and enjoyed many foods some wouldn't touch.  I'd like to add that termites are a very good source of fat.  Yum! 

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #48 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 4:34am

Don't drink to keep all your reflexes  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2020 at 2:33pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #49 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 4:37am

With a good size !

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #50 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 2:44pm

A show like Alone puts long term survival in perspective.  Here you have ten real survival/bushcraft experts going out with ten survival items of their choice and almost all of them have to tap out within a few weeks... in other words in reality they're dead.  Surviving alone for any length of time would be a real challenge for even the best of us.
   I'm a pretty fair shelter builder and with my knowledge of edible plants I like to think that barring injury I'd be OK April into November.  Just walking the dogs on any given day I pass by literally hundreds of pounds of stuff that's perfectly edible.  Surviving the Winter would be a real test for me though.  Winter is tough.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #51 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 5:24pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 26th, 2020 at 2:44pm:
ten real survival/bushcraft experts

No offence, but the survival/bushcraft expert guy I saw on youtube was slinging figure 8 in front of him weaker than I can throw by hand. So yeah going by that I'd expect a bushcraft survival expert to be dead within a short period. Your normal Joe Bloggs on the other hand would probably be fine Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #52 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 6:54pm

a wrote on Dec 26th, 2020 at 5:24pm:
Rat Man wrote on Dec 26th, 2020 at 2:44pm:
ten real survival/bushcraft experts

No offence, but the survival/bushcraft expert guy I saw on youtube was slinging figure 8 in front of him weaker than I can throw by hand. So yeah going by that I'd expect a bushcraft survival expert to be dead within a short period. Your normal Joe Bloggs on the other hand would probably be fine Smiley

Most if not all of the people chosen for Alone have very impressive skills.  They aren't the self proclaimed "experts" you find on YouTube.  I take it you've never seen the show.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #53 - Dec 27th, 2020 at 8:45pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 27th, 2020 at 6:54pm:
Most if not all of the people chosen for Alone have very impressive skills.  They aren't the self proclaimed "experts" you find on YouTube.  I take it you've never seen the show.

I haven't seen it, I don't actually have a TV.

But I wouldn't be impressed, I know I could easily survive here with no prior tools at all. Same in a New Zealand forest, I could go in naked and be fine.

If I was put in a terrible environment, then in two weeks I could easily cover a long distance until I found a better one. Only an idiot would stay in a barely marginal environment. Find a stream and follow it or something, options are endless.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #54 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 5:06pm

This guy has some more good tips.

https://youtu.be/wUpQRIEuaG4

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #55 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 9:33pm

Yup. He was on Alone several seasons ago.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #56 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 9:10am

The three biggest things I learned from Alone- the mental game is at least as hard as the physical game. To the point that people will give up the chance at half a million dollars within just a few days of mental adversity they were not ready for.

And fat and carbs are wilderness gold. You can have all the meat in the world and if you don't have right amount of fat you will definitely tou will absolutely starve to death.

Also if you have access to good fishing especially with a gill net use it, a lot.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #57 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 9:48am

You’re making my point there Morphy. You get a lot more fat from hunting and fishing than foraging. The ones on Alone who catch fish do seem to fare much better overall. That’s probably a good place to start if you’re working on survival skills.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #58 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 11:32am

U also gotta be FAT before u leave to be on Alone. Thats what happened with Zack Fowler season 3 winner.  Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #59 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 12:44pm

I don't disagree with you that fat and meat is the best but if you look on Alone it's actually quite rare to hunt and kill anything substantial. This is in line with indigenous people who were much better at hunting their land than us and still struck out "a lot". Small game is often very lean which leaves you in a similar situation. Cold water fish are a great source of survival food though.

I've only seen up to I think season 6 but I think up until that point no one had even taken a deer with their weapons and the guy that killed the moose was ridiculously skilled in that environment. He talks about his past and he was about as legit as anyone that's been on that show and more so I would bet for that particular environment.

Ya so I actually really don't disagree that much if at all with what you are getting at it's just a big ravine between what's best vs what's possible. Unless you have a rifle.

@Vetryan- yep that actually helps a lot. It's a waiting game. And every single person I've seen on that show was slowly starving to death, without exception. That's not really surviving that's just dying a little slower.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)