Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
One Good Survival Tip (Read 10514 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: One Good Survival Tip
Reply #30 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 6:11pm

U can find tons of stuff thats useable gor bowls.or carve one out of wood

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #31 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 6:12pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:35pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:22pm:
Either way, for big game like wild boar, the spear is underrated. Like Morphy said... pointy end goes in the animal.

Dang it Morphy!  Stop saying stuff I agree with!

Here's one for you- which would you rather have a fire starting device or a pot to cook in?

POT!  (Either kind)

Making fire is easy compared to making a pot.  Boiling water is 1,000 times easier with a metal pot.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 6:50pm

Agree with Oxnate  Wink Bow drills are easy and fun to make.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #33 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 7:56pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:35pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:22pm:
Either way, for big game like wild boar, the spear is underrated. Like Morphy said... pointy end goes in the animal.

Dang it Morphy!  Stop saying stuff I agree with!

Here's one for you- which would you rather have a fire starting device or a pot to cook in?

Definitely a pot. Entire cultures structured your status in society around ownership of clay pots. With a stainless steel soup pot or an enameled dutch oven... I could rule the world!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #34 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 8:44pm

I have to say my response was a joke, i have to confess that i have seen 2 or 3 episodes of naked and afraid,  and i believe it was on that show. But it was a long time ago when i saw it. I do have a few bob, and a few fire kits specific to my location. But with old mans beard, and birch bark growing everywhere up here. Its easy toget a firegoing.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 11:07pm

As someone who got paid to kill wild pigs, there are very few 300 (150 kg) pound pigs in a herd.  Most will be around 25 to 50 pounds (10-30kg).  Gotta watch out for the big sows more than the boars.  And if you do manage to kill one, cook it well done.  They've got parasites.  Same for any other wild animal.  Rare meat is for domesticated animals that are full of antibiotics. 

Also, be careful eating organ meat.  Again, cook it well done. 

If you have fire, you can make a pot.  Find clay and fire it or use the fire to hollow out a log. 

Best is to learn what edible plants are in the area you're in.  And some others that are common.  Cattail roots can be found year round.  They can be eaten cooked or raw.  And they taste like string.  Dirty string.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #36 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 3:28am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 2:06pm:
Slyngorm wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 12:31pm:
60-70% of the calories hunter-gatherers ingested were from plants. Learn to forage.

They’re also 60% the size of your average adult American... if not less.  I personally like my veggies, but in a long term survival situation, until you classify as a farmer and you’re growing high-carb foods, meat is the best concentration of calories and buys you time to do something other than constantly look for more food (assuming moderate success in hunting).

Obviously if you can just be a rice farmer... do that!

Hunter-gatherers were actually as tall as modern first-world, humans because they ingested a number of calories equivalent to us. They also had more spare time. Early agriculture was extremely labour intensive and thus early farmers were a head shorter than both modern humans and hunter-gatherers living besides them. Unless you referenced the rampant obesity in usa, but you don't need THAT size.

Foraging brought home the bacon because it was a far more secure way of gathering calories. A cavewoman could always wander into the woods and be sure to bring home some plants, nut and eggs. Real life primitive hunters were only successful in bringing down an animal a third of the times they went hunting or so.
Foraging was the main supply of food because of need, not choice.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 7:52am

I would choose a pot as well. Usually some type of fire making device can be made but a steel pot is really difficult to make lol.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #38 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:16am

@slyngnorm I would like to see evidence of that statement. I am sure hunter gatherers, like other humans, come in all shapes and sizes, but I doubt that the average plant-based hunter-gatherer was the same size on average as 1st World omnivores who effectively have access to unlimited calories.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #39 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 12:02pm

Slyngorm wrote on Dec 22nd, 2020 at 3:28am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 2:06pm:
Slyngorm wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 12:31pm:
60-70% of the calories hunter-gatherers ingested were from plants. Learn to forage.

They’re also 60% the size of your average adult American... if not less.  I personally like my veggies, but in a long term survival situation, until you classify as a farmer and you’re growing high-carb foods, meat is the best concentration of calories and buys you time to do something other than constantly look for more food (assuming moderate success in hunting).

Obviously if you can just be a rice farmer... do that!

Hunter-gatherers were actually as tall as modern first-world, humans because they ingested a number of calories equivalent to us. They also had more spare time. Early agriculture was extremely labour intensive and thus early farmers were a head shorter than both modern humans and hunter-gatherers living besides them. Unless you referenced the rampant obesity in usa, but you don't need THAT size.

Foraging brought home the bacon because it was a far more secure way of gathering calories. A cavewoman could always wander into the woods and be sure to bring home some plants, nut and eggs. Real life primitive hunters were only successful in bringing down an animal a third of the times they went hunting or so.
Foraging was the main supply of food because of need, not choice. 

Shocked

You're missing a large point in that comparison.  Farming is much more efficient than hunting/gathering.  It ALLOWED larger families.  H/Gs had fewer kids to start with and a larger percentage of them died early; though those that survived were stronger.  Farming produced more calories, which allowed more children to survive who would otherwise have died.  Larger families meant more workers.  More workers meant that they'd have more excess to sell and more wealth.

Agriculture (even animal powered) is hundreds of times more efficient at producing food than H/G. 

The highest population density ever recorded for H/Gs was 21.6 persons per square mile.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter-gatherer ; And that was only possible due to rich fishing where they lived and the water they fished on not being counted.  The current average for earth is 38 people per square mile.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #40 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 12:14pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:16am:
@slyngnorm I would like to see evidence of that statement. I am sure hunter gatherers, like other humans, come in all shapes and sizes, but I doubt that the average plant-based hunter-gatherer was the same size on average as 1st World omnivores who effectively have access to unlimited calories.

2.6 centimeters (1 inch) taller.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/05/010529071125.htm

During the 1800s the Native Indian tribes of the American Plains stood tall, literally. According to a recent study published in The American Economic Review, they were then the tallest people in the world. Men stood an average 172.6 centimeters (about 5 feet, 8 inches) tall, a hair or two above Australian men (averaging 172 cm), American men of European decent (171 cm) and European men (170 cm or less).

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #41 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 2:44pm

Oxnate wrote on Dec 22nd, 2020 at 12:14pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:16am:

2.6 centimeters (1 inch) taller.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/05/010529071125.htm

During the 1800s the Native Indian tribes of the American Plains stood tall, literally. According to a recent study published in The American Economic Review, they were then the tallest people in the world. Men stood an average 172.6 centimeters (about 5 feet, 8 inches) tall, a hair or two above Australian men (averaging 172 cm), American men of European decent (171 cm) and European men (170 cm or less).

I stand corrected. When you are a hunter-gatherer on the American plains and your plant-based diet consists largely of BUFFALO... which you hunted with firearms... then you can grow larger than the average first world omnivore  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2020 at 5:18pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #42 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 8:14am

Survival tip-

Foraging and trapping before hunting unless you really know the area and weapon well.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #43 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 2:36pm

Between the pot and the fire starter I'd go for the fire starter.  Obviously there's no need to explain the usefulness of the pot.  I'd say most of us here would be hard pressed to make a fire the old fashioned way.  For those few who possess that skill, what happens if for your first week in the wild it's cold and rainy?  You're screwed and probably dead.  I can cook without a pot and eventually devise one of some sort.  I can't survive without fire.
    As far as surviving on mostly vegetable matter, for me that wouldn't be much of an inconvenience, at least for the short term.   I've been a Vegetarian for pretty good stretches of time.  But long term, there are no vitamin supplements for you to take.  So balanced nutrition would be difficult without meat.  Plus living like that we'd burn a lot more calories.  After a few months of weeds and berries we'd be pretty skinny.  I have a pretty good knowledge of edible plants but surviving on just them would be difficult and dull.  Eating meat would not only be comforting but it would provide much needed fat calories.  I imagine most of my diet would be plants but I'd still be making fish traps, snares, deadfalls, hunting, scavenging, nest and den raiding, or anything else I could thing of to secure some occasional meat. 
    And of course many bugs (ugh) are edible.  Many are fatty like those big white log grubs.  I see people eating them raw on TV.  They look like giant maggots to me.  I'd have to cook them if at all possible.  Grasshoppers don't look that disgusting to me.  I could eat them cooked.  In the army they teach you to eat bugs if you're stranded.  Gross as it may be, they might just keep you alive.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #44 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 6:11pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 23rd, 2020 at 2:36pm:
Many are fatty like those big white log grubs.  I see people eating them raw on TV. 

They're delicious, after you choked down the first you would have no problem eating them cooked or raw.

They taste like peanut butter. Smooth if raw, crunchy if cooked. I bite just behind the head and throw the head away. Not because it's inedible, just because it seems gross to eat somethings head.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)