Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
One Good Survival Tip (Read 10515 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: One Good Survival Tip
Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 11:17am

Rare engelse grapjassen altijd

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 11:56am

Bad jokes is what this forum does best. Slinging is secondary  Wink

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 12:24pm

Kick wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 11:56am:
Bad jokes is what this forum does best. Slinging is secondary  Wink

If it wasn't for cringey one liners I would have nothing to say. I assume that would be acceptable to most here though.  Grin

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #18 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 1:33pm

Best to get stranded with a bikini model who used to be a girlscout, less wear and tear on clothing etc,... and she'll be able to do the fire, food, shelter and first aid etc,. while you concentrate on important stuff.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 3:57pm

Great stuff, guys. At least for the most part. I'll add one more. If at all possible boil your food instead  of roasting it over an open fire. Though roasting tastes better you're in a situation where every calorie matters. Every drop of fat that falls from your dinner into the fire is calories wasted.
    Plus boiling thoroughly cooks fish or game of questionable quality.
Edit:  This is probably just common sense but use ALL of any animal you kill.  Heart, liver, kidneys (ugh), brains, every bit of bone marrow, tongue,  hooves, bird feet, whatever.  You can't afford to be fussy.  Choke down everything.  I'm fortunate in that I like just about everything.  Kidneys are the only thing that would be an effort for me to get down.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2020 at 1:57am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 5:44pm

Study and practice in the area you live. Know as many edible and useful plants as possible. Most people know indigenous peoples are excellent at survival but if you take them out of their natural enviorment they would die just like us. Knowledge is most important.

The other one I live by is never go into the forest without a knife, paracord and lighter/flint striker. I always have my little hiking backpack so it’s not an issue. Very handy to have just in case.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 10:27pm

Probably the best thing you can do for survival is learn survival skills before you need them.

@Morphy, my area doesn’t have a lot of what most people consider “wilderness”, but if you go west 20-30 miles... there’s still not a lot of wilderness. Maybe 30 miles beyond that you can probably get most of the calories you need from wild hogs if they don’t eat you first (I suspect that you are in a similar boat in your area). Edible plants are just filling in micronutrients, and you’re less likely to accidentally poison yourself eating meat.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 12:12am

Ya we have no shortage of hogs here in Texas. It seems impossible to get rid of them all even if we wanted to. Meat and really fat is wilderness gold but having done Keto for several years I found appetite fatigue was a big problem.  Any source of carbs/fiber you can get from the wild is very important.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 1:59am

Killing a wild hog would be hitting the survival lottery.  If you didn't have a gun or bow and arrows with you that would be very a challenging but not impossible task.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 3:17am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 19th, 2020 at 1:59am:
   Killing a wild hog would be hitting the survival lottery.  If you didn't have a gun or bow and arrows with you that would be very a challenging but not impossible task.

Absent a firearm... Spears
And if you’re trying to bag a 300lb boar, I think I would prefer to bring along a 300lb Samoan who knows how to use a spear instead of Kilisi’s girl scout. 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #25 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 12:31pm

60-70% of the calories hunter-gatherers ingested were from plants. Learn to forage.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #26 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 2:06pm

Slyngorm wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 12:31pm:
60-70% of the calories hunter-gatherers ingested were from plants. Learn to forage.

They’re also 60% the size of your average adult American... if not less.  I personally like my veggies, but in a long term survival situation, until you classify as a farmer and you’re growing high-carb foods, meat is the best concentration of calories and buys you time to do something other than constantly look for more food (assuming moderate success in hunting).

Obviously if you can just be a rice farmer... do that!

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #27 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 2:52pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 19th, 2020 at 3:17am:
I think I would prefer to bring along a 300lb Samoan who knows how to use a spear instead of Kilisi’s girl scout. 

Aw man, that Samoan has no self control with food. Anything you get he'll eat and if he misses one meal you'll start looking like a pork chop. No one uses spears here anyway. It's a fallacy that Islanders are natural survivalists. They're not. Take them from their environment and they're worse off than most due to lack of education.

Pacific Islands are tame environments, almost all the food plants except coconuts are imports. Same with the animals. Even many of the ones that live on the coast don't know how to fish.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:22pm

Either way, for big game like wild boar, the spear is underrated. Like Morphy said... pointy end goes in the animal.

Dang it Morphy!  Stop saying stuff I agree with!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:35pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 3:22pm:
Either way, for big game like wild boar, the spear is underrated. Like Morphy said... pointy end goes in the animal.

Dang it Morphy!  Stop saying stuff I agree with!

Here's one for you- which would you rather have a fire starting device or a pot to cook in?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)