Target Practice (Read 1962 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Target Practice
Reply #15 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 10:36pm

Whoa! These rusty balls really flatten out from the forces from spinning! They are egg-shaped when I place them in the pouch. I always thought that stones or rigid things flew better than these, but didn't have any evidence for it other than some strange trajectories. The aerodynamics on my particular rusty balls must be terrible! It may change if I didn't throw as hard, they might not flatten out as much. These were an average throw so probably ~35 m/s (~80mph).

Also, this was one of the stiffer balls with  more balloons (10 in this case). The ones that I have that only use 6 balloons flatten out even worse.

This images if taken frame by frame from a movie recorded at 240 fps using my phone.

Sequence.png (125 KB | 15 )
Sequence.png
Sequence2.png (146 KB | 13 )
Sequence2.png

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:18pm

Wow that is surprising. My RB is so stiff I thought it would never do that. Guess I was wrong.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:23pm

It would be interesting to compare that to a y-sling with minimal spin.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #18 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:28pm

https://youtu.be/XMWnjHKbZRM

For the curious. Here is a video of some releases. It is quite unexpected.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 2:21am

This is not surprising.  I use around 12 to 15 balloons for one ball.  The diameter of the balloons is also important.  If this is too big, the balls will be too soft

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 3:09am

Nice! if there are not enough balloons deformation can be felt in the pouch. I didn't thought it would flatten that much from spin! perpendicular disk has the worst aerodynamics. If you can orient the spin horizontal like discus the drag is supposed to drop significantly, you will get some curves though.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #21 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 10:27am

Jaegoor wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 2:21am:
This is not surprising.  I use around 12 to 15 balloons for one ball.  The diameter of the balloons is also important.  If this is too big, the balls will be too soft

This is good to know. I always wondered how many you used. I will add some balloons. As far as size goes, the balloons I use have to be stretched slightly to go around the first sand balloon.

John R.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #22 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 3:05pm

This is completely consistent with what I see when slinging outside.  The flatting gets worse the more you use the same rusty ball.  I add a new balloon every now and then when the flattening gets really bad. 

In the clip you said that double finger loop = rifle release....  Why would that add more rifle spin?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #23 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 3:18pm

It is my experience. It might be the construction of the sling too, since my retention cord is kind of stiff. But it comes down to less twisting of the retention cord during release. You can see how my wrist is oriented, and I get a nice clean rifled release. If you go and watch my 1 hour challenge video, I have a similar orientation of the wrist at the moment of release, but often the pouch is oriented strangely, causing it to spin like a top on release. I attribute this to a floppier release cord and a single finger loop. 2 seems to help keep the cord from twisting as much.  Just empirical and anecdotal evidence, nothing concrete to back it up.   

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:17pm

Luis tried to destroy a rusty ball.  He did not make it.  I've been using them for over ten years.  They are good indoor ammunition

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:13pm

Jaegoor wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:17pm:
Luis tried to destroy a rusty ball.  He did not make it.  I've been using them for over ten years.  They are good indoor ammunition

I also have tried hard to destroy one. I couldn't do it.  A balloon might break, but it is easily fixed.

They are a great slinging innovation. I'm glad I finally got around to trying them, Jaegoor. I'd seen you use them for years, but this is the first year I have actually used them. They are great!

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:40pm

My most accurate shots were all with a Rusty Ball. I also like shooting fast with it best.  It was unbelievable for me to see a rusty ball shoot through a bottle.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #27 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 1:12am

IronGoober wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:13pm:
Jaegoor wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:17pm:

I also have tried hard to destroy one. I couldn't do it.  A balloon might break, but it is easily fixed.

They are a great slinging innovation. I'm glad I finally got around to trying them, Jaegoor. I'd seen you use them for years, but this is the first year I have actually used them. They are great!

Agree! I love using rusty balls.  I keep 2-3 balloons with me incase the outer one starts to tare.  (out side I can hit sharp rocks ect.)  I love that they don't bounce or roll once they hit something.  Also if you use a bright colored outer balloon they are very easy to find.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 1:39am

IronGoober wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 3:18pm:
It is my experience. It might be the construction of the sling too, since my retention cord is kind of stiff. But it comes down to less twisting of the retention cord during release. You can see how my wrist is oriented, and I get a nice clean rifled release. If you go and watch my 1 hour challenge video, I have a similar orientation of the wrist at the moment of release, but often the pouch is oriented strangely, causing it to spin like a top on release. I attribute this to a floppier release cord and a single finger loop. 2 seems to help keep the cord from twisting as much.  Just empirical and anecdotal evidence, nothing concrete to back it up.   

Brain storming here but as a kid we use to play battle tops.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYazynm_1M )
Kids would put their tops in the circle and you would try and smash one out of the circle with your top while still keeping it spinning after the hit.  The trick was to hold the top upside down then flip your wrist mid throw so the tip would aim for the ground.  This would give you accuracy and create top spin.  Seems to me if I was aiming the tip of the top at a target instead of the ground it would fly with rifle spin....   Guess what I am saying is you need to think of the ammo having a tip even though it does not and aiming that part at the target.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #29 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 4:37am

I still have a bag of balloons on the side but no sand to put in them. I should get round to that. "I'll get round to it" is one of my most used phrases...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy)