Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throwing arrows / Yorkshire arrows (Read 3519 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Throwing arrows / Yorkshire arrows
Reply #15 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 7:01am

The notch is where the end of the stick rests.

swiss_001.jpg (21 KB | 23 )
swiss_001.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 3:20pm

Sarosh. I have done a few experiments with both my atlatl and my archery sets.

I can give you the quick conclusion right now, I am sticking with fletchings.

I've concluded it is more work for me to make a proper fletchless arrow or atlatl dart with the perfect FOC than to simply stick two feathers on the end.  With the experience I gained from this, I think fletchings are in fact a simpler solution for getting straight flights. I think fletchless arrows can be done, but is it really worth all the effort and experimentation required ?
Fletchings seem to correct a lot of imperfections in the arrow, while without fletchings an arrow seems much more sensitive to imperfections.

It's true that fletchings are sensitive to wear and tear, but it's not like we treat arrows like sling stones. Arrows are precision instruments that we only shoot when we are quite sure of a good shot. That a fletching or stone tip breaks does not matter at all if it results in a deer kill, or a duck.

Properly done fletchings can be quite a chore but primitive fletchings are very quick to install. 2 feather halves, slightly spiralled around the shaft, tightened with plant fibers in the front and back and some pitch glue, it's a quick procedure.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #17 - Dec 20th, 2020 at 4:30pm

@
slingbadger

On the whipbow? Doesn't it also use some string?
I wonder if it was ever used anywhere. I guess it could be the precursor to the bow.

IP Logged

fullface
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 5:55am

Aboriginal spears are very variable and thrown with a spearthrower . The most common name is a woomera . The spears quite often are composite . Heavy at the front and weigh 200 to 450 grams. And have worked quite well for 40 000 years. The papua new guineans shoot long arrows up to six feet  out of their long bows unfletched as many other people have done. Small unstable arrows need fletching. The polynesians used a similar technique of a small unfletched dart with a notch and string to fling the darts from outside the walls of a besieged fort on a high trajectory.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #19 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 6:28am

Slyngorm wrote on Dec 20th, 2020 at 4:30pm:
@
slingbadger

On the whipbow? Doesn't it also use some string?
I wonder if it was ever used anywhere. I guess it could be the precursor to the bow.

Not as far as I know. You shave down a springy piece of wood and have a raised section at the end that fits into the notch.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 11:32am

Taiwanese aboriginal archers use fletchless arrows, see at 2 min 30 sec

https://youtu.be/288souhPMY0

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 2:33pm

Some South American tribes did too.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 8:22pm

Pfeile zu werfen macht mir keinen Spaß.
Ich nehme lieber einen speer
https://youtu.be/Bda40ZOghRU

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 5:47am

Papuans use fletchless and nockless arrows and a flat bow string
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyLSEDrk5Q4

their ''string'' is a flat strip of bamboo  Huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwrdV-WovY

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 7:27am

These are very intriguing, and never heard of them. Great video Sarosh!
I see potential in making this technology a bit more beefy. Imagine them constructed from something much heavier like cast iron, and propelled by some torsion device?
Arrow fletchings cause a lot of drag, so these would be perfect for long range.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2021 at 4:47am by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 2:23am

Thanks for the replies

It seems a lot of people have used fletchless arrows, makes me wonder why in Europe fletchings were so prevalent. with fletchless arrows you would get faster production(?) at a lower price and less maintenance.
Then I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ViVC7MS_Cg which would mean that with fletchings you can use a wide range of spine and get close to target. Fletchings would make sense if archers share arrows or production of shafts is standardized, I wonder to what degree that happened in medieval England.
Still I would like to see a bare shaft fly straight from a warbow.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #26 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 10:35am

Sarosh wrote on Jan 17th, 2021 at 2:23am:
Thanks for the replies

It seems a lot of people have used fletchless arrows, makes me wonder why in Europe fletchings were so prevalent. with fletchless arrows you would get faster production(?) at a lower price and less maintenance.
Then I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ViVC7MS_Cg which would mean that with fletchings you can use a wide range of spine and get close to target. Fletchings would make sense if archers share arrows or production of shafts is standardized, I wonder to what degree that happened in medieval England.
Still I would like to see a bare shaft fly straight from a warbow.

Send an email to Tod from Tod's Workshop.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 6:30am

An spear thrower with spear, and a bow with a very long unfletced arrow.
Both work great considering the lack of fletchings, it surprised me at first. I understand the Australian aboriginals.
Of course not as perfect as well spined and fletched arrows or spears, but good enough for primitive standards.
. But the benefits it is that its much simpler in construction, not just the lack of fletchings, but the high oscillation and FOC make up for a lot of imperfections. Thus you can be less worried about losing an arrow or spear.  And I think it would work well for fishing since the arrow is longer and thus more easily reached. And bow-fishing is pretty close distance. Fletchings have become definitely optional in my mind for primitive bow and spear-thrower and I no longer see them as essential.

P4242305.JPG (205 KB | 17 )
P4242305.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris)