Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie (Read 1557 times)
NovaHammer
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Dec 8th, 2020 at 10:37am

Hello from Nova Scotia;
I joined a while ago...being newly retired, I've been busier than I expected..Ha! 
Anyone have experience using multiple missiles at the same time? I'm wondering for a novel Im writing .... do the bullets all land/strike close together or spray randomly?
I understand each stone will fly according to their own shape, weight and release point technically, but can you 'fire for effect' and intimidate your target with practise? 

ps. Did ancient Russians sling too?

Thanks
Kevin in NS

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 11:12am

Welcome from Finland!
I don't have any hard information about ancient Russians slinging (that is also a bit vague really, Russia is a big place Cheesy) but I don't think I would be wrong in saying, slings were almost certainly in use for most of Russia's history. There are very few places slings haven't been in use. For the multiple projectiles, shotgun slings are what you're looking for. You can find some posts on the forum about them if you search around. A good start is Timpa's video:

https://youtu.be/i4kbhvI4g1k

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 11:20am

Howdy from North Texas.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 1:13pm

Welcome from Pennsylvania!

And +1 to Kick's comment.  I've done a couple "shotgun" slings myself.  One was very closely modeled after timpa's design.  Here is one of the more recent threads if you would like to see some further discussion: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1579758764.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 12:51am

Howdy from South Texas!

The best way to answer your questions is to try a few different methods for yourself and see what works. Search for shotslings... there was a fairly recent discussion about that.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 3:18am

Greetings from oz

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 7:45am

NovaHammer wrote on Dec 8th, 2020 at 10:37am:
Hello from Nova Scotia;
I joined a while ago...being newly retired, I've been busier than I expected..Ha! 
Anyone have experience using multiple missiles at the same time? I'm wondering for a novel Im writing .... do the bullets all land/strike close together or spray randomly?
I understand each stone will fly according to their own shape, weight and release point technically, but can you 'fire for effect' and intimidate your target with practise? 

ps. Did ancient Russians sling too?

Thanks
Kevin in NS

Seeing as there was trade routes between Asia, Europe and the Middle East it's pretty much a sure thing it was being used. Whether we have any actual evidence of ancient Russian slingers is not something I'm familiar with but I would be very surprised indeed if that was not the case.

Welcome from Texas!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 12:21am

Here's a quick attempt at answering your question NovaHammer:

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1608095984

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 9:54pm

Hi from Halifax!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 12:49pm

Welcome from New Jersey.  I vacationed in Nova Scotia about thirty years ago.  Beautiful place and very friendly people.  I'm sorry now that I didn't retire there. 
    I've made a couple of side by side two pouch slings.  As long as your projectiles are similar in size, weight, and shape you'll get a reasonably tight shot pattern.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 7:05am

multiple shots can be done a couple different ways.
jaegor actually ma d asling with three seperate pouches - can't remember how well it worked - but it looked good Smiley

A handful of pebbbles in a large pouch do pretty much work like shotgun pellets, so you get a semi-predictable scatter - would be good for huntin water fowl as you'd hit them as they started to take off.

For antipersonnel - probably not so good. But with the right ammo, could work.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris)