Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Done with Abortion? (Read 2732 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Done with Abortion?
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 9:23am

Oh Morphy... you can't mention a coup and then pretend you didn't just open that can of worms!  I am also not going to talk about the alleged coup directly, but I do have something to say about the rumors...

Whether true or false, these rumors are dangerous because of how people are responding to them.  People are already being silenced online out of fear of potential violence, and I fear that the suppression of political speech is going to lead to non-virtual escalations and altercations rather than calming the situation down. Unfortunately we have at least 2 more weeks of either rumors inciting "peaceful protests", or else we are facing the much less pleasant scenario of some of those conspiracies actually being true. 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 1:22pm

Regardless what people believe about Trump if Twitter can ban him no one is safe. Which is fine if it was a normal company. But these social media platforms are the modern day Gutenberg press. Since few people read things like newspapers any more banning someone from social media is like  being excommunicated from humanity. And that's only going to become more true .

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:50pm

Thankfully  i never had twitter, got rid of FB back in 2012. I onlu use IG, but its getting boring, and something changed. My last 3 posts only got like 10 likes each. My buddy left IG due to him getting shadow banned. I might be following suit

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 3:18pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 1:22pm:
Regardless what people believe about Trump if Twitter can ban him no one is safe. Which is fine if it was a normal company. But these social media platforms are the modern day Gutenberg press. Since few people read things like newspapers any more banning someone from social media is like  being excommunicated from humanity. And that's only going to become more true .

The seemingly coordinated movement of several tech companies is incredibly disconcerting.  A lot of small businesses rely on things like Facebook ads or Amazon warehouses to stay in business and to feed their families.  If they start shutting people down because of their politics, then we have a big problem.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:16am

"seemingly coordinated" is key. It's not only about reality it's also about perception.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be worried about mobs in the capital. We should absolutely. But the lock step coverage of "mostly peaceful protests" that at worst "set off fireworks" when in reality they flew black power and communist flags, threw explosives at people, buildings and symbols, assaulted the white house, called 'death to america' and yet continued to be 'mostly peaceful'. That type of coordination has made about half the country very angry.

I had been of the opinion that we were when one senator beat another on the floor of the senate, I'm rather thinking this is analogous to Harper's Ferry. God help us all.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #35 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:24am

I chose my words carefully. “Seemingly coordinated” is not the same thing as accusations of a pre-planned conspiracy. It could just as easily be independent actors with similar political motives all taking advantage of a perceived opportunity.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #36 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:33am

Morphy wrote on Jan 11th, 2021 at 1:22pm:

I think this is a really interesting issue. There is no traditional freedom of speech issue since of course private website X is not compelled to host person A. Especially if person A breaks their rules, acts irresponsibly/whatever. In theory X can be as politically discriminatory as it wishes, for example it could be a group for only registered members of some political party. However, trying to remain neutral whilst also policing your platform is nearly impossible in my view.

The issue comes with how all encompassing and monopolistic these websites/social media platforms are in the realm of communication. As such having social media privileges revoked is a pretty serious penalty for a public person and can greatly reduce your communication bandwidth. This gives a lot of power to control and direct what is acceptable conversation.

An interesting point with Trump is that he leaned into Twitter far more than any other nation leader. If he had been more traditional and used press briefings then Twitter wouldn't have nearly as much power over him. Then again, he wouldn't have been able to use the power of Twitter to communicate with his base.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:23am by JudoP »  

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:33am

Yes. I don't disagree. I am not saying they are colluding or anything similar. Not trying to put words in your mouth. Merely that it gives that impression and that is bad.

One of the squirrely bits about humans is that for many social things, perception becomes reality, or is more important. Should it be that way? No. Is it? Yes. There's a proverb (I recall it being chinese but google says albanian)  that "when a hundred men call a wise man a fool the wise man becomes a fool"

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #38 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:38am

People in big business and politics conspire every day. It's not hard for me to believe at all. How well they can influence people in public AND private is largely why they are so successful. It would be silly to think they would foster an atmosphere of political atheism as some sort of moral high ground. Laughable really.

If anything we as the public give them far too much credit. We call our politicians bumbling morons who can barely run a country. That level of power does not attract morons. The entire setting is kill or be killed. These aren't morons. On the contrary they are smart enough to get their own agenda to go through while convincing the  other half of the voters all the "screw ups" are the other parties fault.

It's very Machiavellian and again I will say it right here. Of course those companies conspire. 
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2021 at 8:43pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)