Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thanksgiving leftovers and pocket pies (Read 420 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Thanksgiving leftovers and pocket pies
Dec 1st, 2020 at 4:12pm

Still around but I never minded much. We did a ham this year and I've got my split pea soup simmering in the crock pot. The wife wants a ham and noodle casserole tomorrow.

The rest of the ham will probably wind up in empanadas or pasties. Cuban style empanadas use vienna pastry (cream cheese and butter) but I've also justfound out the difference between American pie crust and British Shortcrust.

You limeys knead your shortcrust and you put all the fat in in one go. This is heresy in the states. It's also why my pocket pies used to fail so badly, they didn't have enough gluten.  Grin

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Thanksgiving leftovers and pocket pies
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 5:34pm

While we do split pea with the ham often times it's a miracle if any of the leftovers last long enough to be cooked into anything substantial. I think we graze for about 3 days in complete contentment before it's all but gone. Maybe that is time....but we just like the grazing part too much.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Thanksgiving leftovers and pocket pies
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:09pm

Mom always made a big turkey pot pie with turkey dinner leftovers.  There are no words to describe how good it was.  When we grew up and moved out of the house we used to try to estimate the exact minute Mom would finish the pie so we could be the first at the door.  I make a pretty good turkey pot pie but Mom's were a work of art. 
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:35pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)