Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:29am

Look... I know what you are thinking right now. "You can't have one Morphy."

"And why not?"

"Um...because you aren't a zoo?"

"Hear me out though..."

"No, this is crazy."

"Well...there's a two for one special so low it would be crazy not to right?"

*Door Closes*

So now that that awkward part is out of the way hear me out... There is something about lions. I have no idea what it is. They act like big dogs that could eviscerate your organs at any moment. But I want one and have wanted one for many years. A lion cub that you raise from a baby is actually a pretty loving pet.

The issue is the cost. Not even the cost to buy them. It's feeding one that makes it near impossible. My question to you is this:

How do you feel about raising a pet like this and if you had all the money and space to take care of it properly would you? Assuming this is a rescue cub or whatever and wasn't bred to be sold would you do this?

My answer would be absolutely. I would not for a tiger or leopard but due to the lions pack animal mentality they seem to form strong bonds with those who raise them.

Anyways just a thought.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: I want a lion cub.
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 9:20am

Well, I for one would not. If they made good pets I think they would be domesticated by now. Imagine camping in this guys territory

20201129_070747.jpg (185 KB | 9 )
20201129_070747.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:18am

If I had the time, space and expertise to properly care for a lion it wouldn't be a pet it would be wild in Africa as the correct amount of space is "however much it wants" and the expertise would tell me to leave it in the wild. I see zoos as a necessary evil. A human evil to help try and mitigate other even eviler evils. They just aren't meant to be kept in captivity. For dogs and cats and most animals kept on farms, it's too late. They rely on us and that is ultimately humanities fault for making them dependent, but there's nothing to be done about them now. Lions don't need us to look after them. They need us to leave them alone. That's just all the arguments for the animals welfare, when it comes to my welfare, Hell no I do not want an apex predator that could crush my head like a soft grape or turn my insides into my outsides anywhere near me. Dogs can be dangerous but that is the exception. Big cats are dangerous period. If you saw Tiger King, a keeper had her arm bitten off. BITTEN OFF. Dog can mess you up, yes, but they don't just bite arms clean off. I make it a rule to not own anything that could kill me and has a mind of it's own.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:28am

Kick wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:18am:
Dogs can be dangerous but that is the exception. Big cats are dangerous period. If you saw Tiger King, a keeper had her arm bitten off. BITTEN OFF.

So what I HEAR you saying is if God had intended for us to not to have a lion we would’ve been born with one arm. The fact that we have two means, gentlemen, while your points are valid, I have a divine commission to have a lion cub. Things are so much clearer now. Thank you Kick.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 11:03am

I try to go for pets that wont kill me. Iused to breed my ball python snakes. My old landlord`s PO, inquired to me about if they were poisonous,  i told him that i like to handle my reptiles.  I do not need a poisonous one to bite and kill me.i did want too own a few penguins a few years ago. My best friend has connections, but for a pair it was $10,000, the habitat was $10,000. Unfortunately i can think of 20,000, Other things more important. Unless i hit the lottery one day. I WILL OWN a pair, even if PETA dont like it, or anyone else who acts like it.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 11:24am

I think "pet" is a bit of a stretch.  Wink

I've always been more partial to tigers myself.  But I agree that a lion would make a better companion because they're a social species, while tigers are generally solitary.  Assuming all the things you mentioned are there (money, large area for it to inhabit, circumstances that would assuredly result in its death if it were living in the wild), sure.  I love big cats.  Fascinating creatures.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:28pm

I have had pets that many would consider dangerous.  I had a very big Savana Monitor Lizard named Pete.  He was a grumpy, miserable guy.  His bite was dangerous but his tail is what you had to watch.  He could snap it like a bull whip, leaving a nasty welt. 
    I had a Columbian Red-tailed Boa, Natasha.  She was about eleven feet long but very thick and powerful.  Most people would be afraid of her but she was a sweetheart.
    Then there was Clarence, my albino Burmese Python.  He was crazy big, like Wild Kingdom big.  "Where's Clarence?"  "He's in the porch, livingroom, bathroom, hallway, and kitchen."  Clarence loved me but he had a temper.  You didn't want him mad at you.  Many of my friends were terrified of him. 
    I'm OK with most wild animals.  There used to be a Lion and Tiger act at Clementon Park, which is very close to me... Kay Rosaire, Lion Tamer Extrodinaire.  It was possible to walk among their pens between the shows.  I got up close to many lions and tigers.  I wanted a lioness.  I'll bet I could handle one.  They didn't look scary to me... just big cats.  Wild animals have triggers.  As long as you're not stupid you'll most likely be OK.  Of course having one would be completely impractical unless I had money to properly house one.  Which I don't.  But I can understand wanting one.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 9:05pm

Seems like I may not be so crazy after all.. I never thought I would be "that" guy. Realistically unless I suddenly come into a lot of money I will never be "that" guy but I definitely would if I could.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 12:43am

The other nice thing about lions is that if you forget to feed them for a few days, they’re fine, and you can justify it by saying that they live on the edge of starvation in nature anyway... but then again the lion could use the same “it’s natural” argument while eating you when you forget to feed it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 12:49am

The bigger question is: how many times do you have to lift up the lion cub while standing on the edge of a cliff before that joke gets old?

In your case Morphy, you might have to settle for a tall building, since there’s nothing even resembling a hill near Houston.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 6:33am

There are a lot of special permits and legalitiies to deal with. You have to be a certified animal keeper, plus it may not even be legal where you live. A friend of mine got a civet , and he had so many hoops to jump through. It's like the process for a foriegn adoption.
  Also, if someone gets hurt from it, it's your responsibility.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 1:25pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 12:49am:
The bigger question is: how many times do you have to lift up the lion cub while standing on the edge of a cliff before that joke gets old?

In your case Morphy, you might have to settle for a tall building, since there’s nothing even resembling a hill near Houston.

I can’t be bothered to be in Houston traffic. I can get a tallish 3 story apartment building with a view of several dumpsters. It wont be zebras and giraffes but maybe some dirty possums and a raccoon or two.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)