IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Re: Short Bow
Reply #61 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 9:16am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 6th, 2021 at 7:28am:
#37@24'' wood unknown

I really dig the colours. Has it been given oil?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #62 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 9:37am

some

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #63 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 9:38am

it has taken some set but it seems to be it, and I had to do some more tillering. final drawweight will be around #30 but that doesnt say much.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #64 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 12:34pm

Got pics,???????

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #65 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 1:16pm

Previous page has pictures, I am too lazy to post pictures again

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #66 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 2:13pm

Thats kind of beat that u said u finished it, but wont post updated pics of it. Very disappointing i was enjoying watching your progress as i am learning bow making as well

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #67 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 5:39pm

vetryan15 wrote on Mar 8th, 2021 at 2:13pm:
Thats kind of beat that u said u finished it, but wont post updated pics of it. Very disappointing i was enjoying watching your progress as i am learning bow making as well

I have to admit it is a bit of a let down. I love when we share progress with each other. But I guess it is what it is.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #68 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 12:06pm

130 centimeters unstrung and a little bit shorter strung. Followed the instructions of Primitive Technology. Fire hardened and oiled. Helluva powerful compared to my previous bow.
It broke a few moments ago. Is there any fool proof way of testing a bow’s maximum draw with minimum tools?
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2021 at 3:22pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #69 - Mar 9th, 2021 at 4:06pm

Third picture, bottom limb, mid limb broke in tension? Just a wild guess.

But anyways to answer your question is there a way to determine max draw? Do you mean before it breaks completely? Or before it takes too much set to make the longer draw worth it? There is a happy medium there where you hit a long enough powerstroke to equal the best possible speed with the corresponding lowest set you can hope for given the dimensions of the bow. And the only way to really get there is to continue drawing with a chronograph and a shooting machine. Neither of which I would assume you own since you are talking minimum tools.

But realistically that is a pure research and design question. You would make a bow to the dimensions you need from the outset. If I want a 28 inch draw from a 60 pound bow I need to know the wood species and what kind of front view profile and side view profile I need for the best combination of draw weight, draw length and low set.

There is a nice little trick in the 4th Bowyers Bible called The Mass Principle. It will help you but you need more practice on the basics. If you have the 1st Bowyers Bible read the Tillering chapter. Then read it again. Then make some bows using what you’ve learned and read the chapter again. Lol. That’s the heart of bowmaking.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #70 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 10:58am

Well, you are right about the breaking point  Shocked Huh Tongue Cheesy

And that is already some complicated stuff you are talking about there and a whole lot of concepts and haven't even considered. I just gotta research some more that is the only solution.
Since you wrote that I have made two new bows. With one of them I tried making a bow of the exact same construction, wood type, length and width. The one I posted could withstand a draw of about 65 cm and the new one can withstand a draw of at least 57 cm.

I'll just keep it at that a little longer. Breaking bows is not a nice feeling.  Undecided

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #71 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 1:26pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 10:58am:

And that is already some complicated stuff you are talking about there and a whole lot of concepts and haven't even considered. I just gotta research some more that is the only solution.
Since you wrote that I have made two new bows. With one of them I tried making a bow of the exact same construction, wood type, length and width. The one I posted could withstand a draw of about 65 cm and the new one can withstand a draw of at least 57 cm.

I'll just keep it at that a little longer. Breaking bows is not a nice feeling.  Undecided

Oh WAIT! Hold on!! That’s because you aren’t looking at it from the right point of view. Every time you break a bow it’s like gaining more experience than you would had you made ten bows that survive. So long as...and this is the key, you study what went right and what went wrong.

Every broken bow is a triumph because it means you are pushing your limits and learning. Who is learning faster? A guy who breaks 15 bows in a row but finally works out all the problems and makes a shooter on his 16th? Or a guy who makes the same style bow over and over and never fails. Obviously the first guy.

Never consider a broken bow a failure. It’s not. It’s a future success.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #72 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 4:14pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 1:26pm:

Oh WAIT! Hold on!! That’s because you aren’t looking at it from the right point of view. Every time you break a bow it’s like gaining more experience than you would had you made ten bows that survive. So long as...and this is the key, you study what went right and what went wrong.

Every broken bow is a triumph because it means you are pushing your limits and learning. Who is learning faster? A guy who breaks 15 bows in a row but finally works out all the problems and makes a shooter on his 16th? Or a guy who makes the same style bow over and over and never fails. Obviously the first guy.

That's a good tip. Just thought my previous bow was pretty good already so I wanted to make a similar one now when I knew how far I could draw it. And I just like the feeling of having a bow at hand.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #73 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 4:38pm

Slyngorm wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 4:14pm:
Morphy wrote on Mar 12th, 2021 at 1:26pm:

That's a good tip. Just thought my previous bow was pretty good already so I wanted to make a similar one now when I knew how far I could draw it. And I just like the feeling of having a bow at hand.

Where do you live Slyngorm? I’ll put you on the list. The bottom unfortunately but it’s still on the list.  Grin

But if you are like me you wont be satisfied with someone else’s bow for long. You will want to shoot your own. If you want you can start a new thread and slowly walk us through and get pointers as you go?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #74 - Mar 12th, 2021 at 9:39pm

"... and I just like the feeling of having a bow at hand."   Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)