Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Short Bow (Read 6724 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Short Bow
Reply #30 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 4:47pm

That's the sort of size I'm wanting to go for.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:45pm

I have two long bows in the making. When I am finished, I am def going to make a three foot hazel bow.
Thanks for the inspiration and links!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 1:25pm

They're about the easiest bows to make, the hard part is waiting the sapling staves to cure so you can start working on them. I tillered mine down a little more, its better now.

I like these primitive light drawweight bows. Primitive stone age cultures seem to agree. Less draw weight means easier aiming, easier construction, and the string will last longer. I read native American bows rarely exceeded 45 lbs and African bows were even weaker .The trick is in the point, you want the flint point to be as sharp as possible. They took down deer and antilope with these tiny stone points they used. Of course it requires good shot placement.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2021 at 10:38pm

walter wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:45pm:
I have two long bows in the making. When I am finished, I am def going to make a three foot hazel bow.
Thanks for the inspiration and links!

The stick

20210129_201329.jpg (1771 KB | 17 )
20210129_201329.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 1:59pm

Nice little baby snake boy you got coming.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #35 - Feb 2nd, 2021 at 10:06pm

Hoping to getit floor tillered this weekend

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #36 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 4:06pm

Got the tips worked down and a little of the belly and sides. Looks like I will have to straighten the kink just past the ctr of the stick.

20210207_135443.jpg (1627 KB | 18 )
20210207_135443.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #37 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 3:31pm

Thats gonna be an awesome, beautiful, one of a kind bow

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 5:38pm

@
vetryan15

Or kindlin Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #39 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 6:14pm

Can’t wait to see it

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #40 - Feb 8th, 2021 at 6:37pm

Get after it Walter.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #41 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 5:18am

The first video is very nice and its easiness also inspired me to make a short bow.
Just yesterday I went into the woods, cut down a tree, went home and shaped it with an axe and knife. Then it split around the middle when I tried to string it. So I went into woods again, cut down another tree, went home and shaped it with an axe and knife. This time I shaped the middle of the bow into a thicker than the rest of the bow handle. I strung it, fired some grill spears and left it strung for the night. Next morning I strung a tighter string but when I pulled in it too much it snapped (not around the handle though). This happened just two minutes ago. 
My introduction to bow making.                

In the first video he heat treats the bow before stringing it. What difference does this make and is it necessary?

How long can you wait before working on a piece of wood that you have just cut down? Is something like 24 hours acceptable?

IP Logged

Martin_Greywolf
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Slovakia
Reply #42 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 8:05am

Slyngorm wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 5:18am:
I strung it, fired some grill spears and left it strung for the night. Next morning I strung a tighter string but when I pulled in it too much it snapped (not around the handle though).

You never, ever, leave a bow strung if you aren't shooting with it, not even the nice, professionally made ones. The wood gets permanently bent and they loose their power really, really quickly, in a matter of hours if you work with living wood bows we all made as kids. Or so I persume.

The breakage was proabbly a combination of factors, maybe the grains weren't straight, plus leaving it strung over night as it dried out - see below for that.

In the first video he heat treats the bow before stringing it. What difference does this make and is it necessary?

Pretty necessary in this circumstance, not at all otherwise. See below.

How long can you wait before working on a piece of wood that you have just cut down? Is something like 24 hours acceptable?

Right, so the principal issue here is that the living wood contains a lot of water - you can see that if you try to burn it, you get steam and bubbles on the surface. As the stick gets older and older after you cut it, the water dries out, and this process slightly warps the wood and generally changes how it behaves.

For any sort of permanent construction, bows included, the waiting time is about a year. Yup. You should also cover the ends of the stick with glue or some other stuff that prevents it from drying unevenly.

What you see in that first video, however, is the survivalist bow - you end up out in the woods and need to shoot a deer today, what do you do? Well, you use fire to dry it, which will get you an inferior bow to one you'd get if you waited a year, but you will manage to not starve.

This sort of bow is more prone to warping over time and probably breaking as well, but that's not really a mark against it - it's supposed to be an improvised hunting weapon, quick to make and replace if need be.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #43 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:51am

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #44 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:55am

The first video is very nice and its easiness also inspired me to make a short bow.
Just yesterday I went into the woods, cut down a tree, went home and shaped it with an axe and knife. Then it split around the middle when I tried to string it. So I went into woods again, cut down another tree, went home and shaped it with an axe and knife. This time I shaped the middle of the bow into a thicker than the rest of the bow handle. I strung it, fired some grill spears and left it strung for the night. Next morning I strung a tighter string but when I pulled in it too much it snapped (not around the handle though). This happened just two minutes ago. 
My introduction to bow making.                

If you are interested in this topic I will post some videos about it if you wish?

EDIT: Actually come to think of it Ive been planning on making a simple over view on the process. Im off today and considering ive been awake since 4am yesterday I feel pretty good. Today might just be the day...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)