Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Strange fungus (Read 1341 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Strange fungus
Nov 25th, 2020 at 8:58am

Ok Morphy... or anyone else: can you help me identify this?
I walked into my backyard the other day and saw what looked like foam pouring up over the planter my parasol tree is growing in. It looks a lot like insulating spray foam like Great Stuff. It’s obviously a mushroom or some other fungus but I’ve never seen it before.  The first two photos are from when it first appeared. Now 3 days later it is covered in white powdery spores (3rd and 4th photo)

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Strange fungus
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 9:10am

I wish i knew more about mushrooms.  We have so many up here, growing everywhere. Hopefully you can ID it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 10:19am

Hello there little slime mold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD42OerhGir/?igshid=y4bjy8dvtez0

I have a larger one I found on my Instagram. I know I know it looks appetizing but don't eat it!  Wink

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 5:12pm

This looks similar to how the zombie apocalypse started in the game 'The Last Of Us'..... start preparing

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 7:12pm

a wrote on Nov 25th, 2020 at 5:12pm:
This looks similar to how the zombie apocalypse started in the game 'The Last Of Us'..... start preparing

There's still a month left please don't give 2020 any ideas.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 7:06am

yeah you lucky sod - that is one awesome specimen of a slime mold.

If you'd noticed sooner you;d have seen that before it turned into a 'mushroom' it would have looked quite different.

Slime moulds are amazing beasts that morph into different structures throughout their lifespan. 
You can't eat them - but theye are really amazing organisms.

@vetryan - take some pictures - also there are a bunch of apps/books on fungal identification that you can install on your phone.

The good edible ones are generally pretty easy to identify.
And the basic rule is that if you are not 100% sure - don't pick it.

But you should get some decent ones in your wood. The best edible ones tend to live in symbiosis with trees and help break down dead materials that feed both the mycelium and the tree roots.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 9:02am

If it's true, you can to feed it, a french scientist gives it oatmeal to eat.
It's the "blob". Or Physarum Polycephalum.
Keep us informed.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 9:19am

I just dont trust the apps i have seen, which is unfortunate, cuz we have a bunch of different kinds.

Can anyone recommend books, or a good app??

There is snow on the ground, so i wont see any till sprjng. (MAY)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 9:47am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 26th, 2020 at 7:06am:
yeah you lucky sod - that is one awesome specimen of a slime mold.

If you'd noticed sooner you;d have seen that before it turned into a 'mushroom' it would have looked quite different.

Slime moulds are amazing beasts that morph into different structures throughout their lifespan. 
You can't eat them - but theye are really amazing organisms.

@vetryan - take some pictures - also there are a bunch of apps/books on fungal identification that you can install on your phone.

The good edible ones are generally pretty easy to identify.
And the basic rule is that if you are not 100% sure - don't pick it.

But you should get some decent ones in your wood. The best edible ones tend to live in symbiosis with trees and help break down dead materials that feed both the mycelium and the tree roots.

Is it just me or is it sort of hilarious how excited people are about slime mold?
But it's true though. The more you understand about nature the more you appreciate even the most mundane looking things.

@Vetryan- if you have android try the Audubons guide to mushrooms. Just got off a long shift and can't be bothered to look up spelling. There's another one I really liked but can't remember the name. Find one that has a quiz function. Go through the quiz over and over and try to choose the correct multiple choice answer for what it is. This will help you identify the genus by looks (though some need more clues). Having the genus will greatly narrow down the possible mushroom species.

Some mushrooms are impossible to tell by species without a relatively good microscope for observing basidiospores and the like. Some can only be reliably identified by genetic testing. It's very complex.

The great thing for newer mushroom hunters is the fact that there are so many choice edible mushrooms that can be easily identified and are far, far better than agaricus bisporus, the typical button mushroom.

The identification apps are more helpful for those with a little experience due to the fact that new mushroom enthusiasts often have a hard time telling minor differences between different genera/species.

January 1st is coming soon and I'll be starting a new mushroom hunting thread. Please feel free to post as many mushies as you wish.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 10:25am

My wife studies microbiology and loves slime moulds. Many a time we've walked off a path to go get a closer look at a slimy fallen tree or stump Cheesy Utterly bizarre creatures.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 11:00am

Morphy, i will be lookimg those up. Thank you, i will have to keeo you updated, cuz we got some crazy ones . I have never seen up here. But i can confirm i do have true shrooms growing that will trip u out.

Unfortunately i got ypur text, but u missed me by 10 minutes.  I laid down, and passed out. Hopefully next time we can zoom

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 2:34pm

"But i can confirm i do have true shrooms growing that will trip u out."

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sounds like an excellent story.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 2:52pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 26th, 2020 at 7:06am:

Yeah, I watched it for 3 days as it transformed from a foam to a solid structure, and then it let out the spores. If I add water, the next generation will probably spring up again! I’ve been putting coffee grounds in the pot to boost the carbon content for the tree, and I think the mold likes the acidity.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 2:56pm

I can say, i might look like an old hippie. But i never tried the shrooms on my land. Just heard it from a local mushroom Fb group my gf is a part of. Lol

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 4:04pm

In your area most likely psilocybe semilanceata.  Otherwise known as Liberty Caps. Otherwise known as "I'm pretty sure that pelican just winked at me" and of course also known as "This pelican knows the meaning of life." Also known as "I swear Officer the pelican was already wearing make up when I got here."

Interestingly enough some people have reported that taking liberty caps especially makes them see scenes of mushrooms all over the place as if the mushrooms have come alive and are communicating with them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)