Send Topic Print
Done with politics? (Read 15481 times)
a

a

a
Re: Done with politics?
Reply #75 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 8:10pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 5:28pm:
but the good ones are absolutely amazing people.

We don't have any good ones. There is zero accountability here.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #76 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 12:32pm

Netflix has or had rights to an amazing Ukranian series called "Servant of the People". Sits on the shelf next to "yes minister" and "yes prime minister" as some of my favorite political humor.

One of the things that jumped out was the understood level of corruption. For all that I detest the corruption in the US, COMPARATIVELY, it's much better in the US than in a lot of the world. Had a similar moment watching netflix's "better than us" which was done by russians, and again, the acknowledged and overt corruption is a different level. And it's just backdrop, part of setting rather than a focus.

Which is to say I believe you Kilisi. And once the rot gets to that level, I don't know how to get it into reasonable limits. Sure I'd like to get rid of it entirely but I try to stay grounded.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #77 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 4:20pm

a wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:50pm:
Morphy wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:36pm:
Yep pretty much. Not every American is for that by the way. We feel just as powerless to stop that stuff as you probably do.

You're more powerless than us. We always have options (but not always the will) to fight back.

At the end of the day I personally just want to be someone I can be proud of and set a clean example for my kids to follow. The big picture will play out on it's own.

You're a wise man.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #78 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 11:17pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 12:32pm:
Which is to say I believe you Kilisi. And once the rot gets to that level, I don't know how to get it into reasonable limits. Sure I'd like to get rid of it entirely but I try to stay grounded.

In large parts of the world corruption is funded by the US, other parts it's funded by China or other first World countries. Once that funding collapses the corruption will collapse in a splash of blood, at least for a while. In the Pacific Islands it's mostly NZ and Australia who fund it and have pledged their militaries to put down any uprisings if the peasants don't like it. Every so often a show of force demonstration is made of what will happen in case people forget.

So with elections next year millions in aid money are pouring into the country, everyone knows this money will be stolen and fund bribes and election campaigns. Thats just normal and realistically thats what the money is sent for.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #79 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:13am

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #80 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 10:07am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:13am:

Don't worry J I've been assured nothing like that could ever happen.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #81 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 12:40pm

Oh man... if that dystopian alternate reality is accurate, then I’m really glad I’m not a road sign. It llooks like everyone hates those signs!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #82 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 2:02pm

Alternative ? It's the world right now
https://twitter.com/tkerssen/status/1266921821653385225

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #83 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 5:07pm

Yeah...
That is missing some context J.  Also, those are paintballs. Look at how real despots treat non-compliance.  That may be obnoxious to the homeowner, but nobody was hurt. I don’t think they would get off that easy in China, Hong Kong, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, Iran...

We don’t know why the National Guard was there, and yes, they were jerks, but that’s no dystopia.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #84 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 5:34pm

While we are definitely not up there with some countries and not a dystopian society we seem to be headed in that way. But I think that’s the nature of all societies. Regardless if they start out free, they usually end up going into tyranny or destruction.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #85 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 5:36pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:13am:

I saw the second one advertised. Anyone else think that is just too soon?

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #86 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 2:02pm

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #87 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 2:27pm

I stopped caring about paintball, rubber bullet and tear gas wounds when they started burning innocent people's businesses to the ground. You hate the rich and politicians there are plenty of politicians and ultra rich for you to voice your complaints against. You come in my house looking to do violence you better be able to dodge bullets.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #88 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 3:48pm

Police with pepper balls are a mercy compared with the escalation you will get from self-organized under-disciplined self-defense forces who are more likely to cause even greater collateral damage.   Compare those pepperball injuries to the two boys who were murdered by CHAZ “security forces” when they accidentally took a wrong turn too fast and came flying towards a barricade. I’ll take the police with non-lethals instead,  thank you very much.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #89 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 12:37am

Trump signed it.  22% for Americans, 77% for people who hate us, 1% to give themselves a raise.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)