Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Done with politics? (Read 15462 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Done with politics?
Reply #45 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 6:30pm

I am not a big fan of politics, and definitely not a joiner. If you look at how Republican leaning states have handled Covid lockdowns versus Democrat leaning states, I would say Republican politicians are more likely to leave me alone and let me live my life and make my own informed decisions based on my own situation. Ironically the current Democrat platform encourages both invasive control of personal lives AND anarchy via defunding law enforcement, but there are still Democrats I would vote for over some Republicans at the individual level.
I prefer to limit the power on both sides... but especially anyone who thinks that they don’t have to live by the same rules as everyone else. You can find those people in every political party, so that means you have to pay more attention to individuals’ past records and statements when you vote instead of blindly sticking to one party.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #46 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 6:43pm

vetryan15 wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 10:45am:
You cant be this ridiculous,  as its been pointed out now for the 3rd time. How can the (black,brown) voters be white supremacist??

There is a serious problem with hyperbole in politics. Words have meaning... but sometimes not the same meaning to everyone. Many people mean “white cisgender conservative Christian” when they say “racist/white supremacist”, or sometimes it simply means “everyone who disagrees with me”.  I have even been told that I am a racist because of the color of my skin!  My behavior and beliefs are irrelevant apparently, and in that case “racist” literally means “caucasian”.  I’d say it’s silly, but the consequences of labels like that are pretty serious.

One of the reasons I think the left hates Trump is because he weaponizes labels the same way they do. Everyone needs to stop. Not just “the other guys”.

If by politics, you mean unreasonable ad hominem attacks against anyone who disagrees with you, then yes. I am definitely tired of that.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #47 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:38pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 6:43pm:
One of the reasons I think the left hates Trump is because he weaponizes labels the same way they do. Everyone needs to stop. Not just “the other guys”.

I will say without a shadow of a doubt, that I dislike Trump for the shallow, selfish, narcissist that he is. I dislike many of his policies too, but it is he himself that makes me recoil.

There are many conservatives that I think are good people, even if I disagree with their policy/politics. John McCain was one. 

I agree that we Americans certainly need to stop weaponizing labels, such as calling someone a "racist" or "bigot". Both sides are too quick to use labels. But, in my opinion they've lost any sort of punch or meaning because they are used so readily. It's like calling someone a "meany" on the playground. No one really cares. It doesn't have any deterrent effect or make someone really question their behavior because it is used too much and too quickly.

Vet, (and anyone else who wants to answer) I would really like to hear your perspective on why Trump is the lesser of two evils for you?  I haven't had a chance to hear this perspective (because I'm in an echo chamber, surrounded by like-minded people) and want to know where you are coming from. I'm hoping in coming years to get a broader perspective from different viewpoints and people. It's very easy to remain in my safe little bubble and/or get perspectives from news sources (right or left), rather than from other people.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #48 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 10:53pm

No matter which side you're on sometimes something is just plain funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCY2HWxIZWY

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #49 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 7:23am

@IG,

If we start back in 2016, when he ran against Clinton.  Some is heresay but some has been proven. Now i am not saying Trump is perfect,  but she is way worse then Trump. You can even go back to the 70s when Bill was getting into politics.  He has had mutiple sexual assault allegations,  she would actually threaten each and every one of his victims, to drop the allegations.  Mutiple people that have gone against them, have  ended up murdered.  While she was secretary of state,  the server emails that were on the wrong computer, which she then erased, since she knew it was wrong. Then got no jail time. I am a veteran,  as are a few older members here. I am a patriot. I am not a fan of huge government. National security is key due to these times we live in. What about Benghazi, and the US embassy? They called Clinton for help, she ignored them. 4 American citizens were killed. She is a sore loser, is unfortunately untouchable,( in more ways then one). She was the one that started the dossier, looking into Trump and the Russians. The list goes on.

Then Biden, i have family ties to them unfortunately.  That whole family is SCUM, thats putting it nicely.  He has been a politician for 47 years, what has he done? I grew up in NJ about 25 minutes from Delaware.  That whole state is a shithole. What about his son, getting paid to have access to the VP?, that is some corrupt poopy. Joe hasnt done much, his VP choice, i won't even go there. She is .............  Shocked. He is backed by Antifa, that right there is a group of hypocrites, lazy, and always looking for handouts.  I know, my neighbor is a sympathizer  for ANTIFA, and a socalist.( but he is very confused). But we hang out everyday and dont let politics get in between.  But he knows if any of that poopy happens near me, i will be first in line to defend,  my stuff and myself and my gf. I apologize for getting off topic.  But i am done on this post, if anyone wants to pick it apart, go ahead. I dont let politics get into friendships,so whatever judgement you have of me. I dont care. I just dont want anyone on this forum to have any resentment or animosity towards me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #50 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 7:55am

I’ve mostly stayed out of this, but if you ignore his personality and look at what Trump has accomplished in office, he was more than the lesser of two evils.  He was one of the most effective presidents in my lifetime. He pulled troops out of the Middle East, negotiated peace deals between Israel and several neighbors, and didn’t start any new wars. He removed thousands of old, outdated bureacratic regulations in every area of executive management, improved national parks, and had one of the best economies ever before the pandemic.   He fixed a lot of problems and made a lot of improvements overall, despite being under investigation as a “Russian agent”.  If that’s merely a lesser of evils, then I don’t think there will ever be a non-evil option, and again we are just talking in hyperbole when we call every politician evil.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #51 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 8:23am

I can't say I know any hard core Trumpers. Nor do I really care too (or hard core Biden fans). I care about politics I've wasted years reading and trying to understand both sides.  The most useful recent book I've read was "The Great Debate: Edmund Burke, Thomas Paine, and the Birth of Right and Left" by Levin

I've always cared about the underlying philosophies and how they matter. And if you look at the way every important issue is divided, is there any surprise that the 'blue wave' wasn't, midterms or now? Did anyone really expect people who believe abortion is murder to change parties even if they believed that their party's candidate was a racist? Same for pretty much any other social issue. These are deep felt issues and they would not simply ignore them.  Add to that months of riots that were softballed and billed as "mostly peaceful" until the video of their felonies (which is what making, let alone using a molotov is, as is throwing black powder explosives at law enforcement). Riots which were coming from the BLM movement, which is just watered down Critical Race Theory (I know because I've listened to professors give me those arguments) which say "there can be no legitimacy" and the riots (and the previous attacks on law enforcement) are entirely logical given that philosophy. Riots that were encouraged by the democratic leaders and one of which took place 2 hours from me. Half the country doesn't feel that is the right direction and I don't see that changing.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #52 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 9:39am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 10:53pm:
No matter which side you're on sometimes something is just plain funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCY2HWxIZWY

Well, then make one about Biden, the actual racist.

Democrats forgot how racist Biden is and always has been.

And they also forgot that Trump received awards for fighting racism... until he decided to run on a Republican ticket.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #53 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 9:52am

Bill Skinner wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 10:50am:
Consprency Theorists believe:

Politicians and your government gives a hoot about you and have your best interests at heart.

Political parties matter.  (See above)

News media does not lie or spin their presentation.

Big Pharma wants you to get well and have a healthy life.

Fast Food is nutritious.

I'll had one more- "conspiracies don't exist"

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #54 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 11:50am

When I travelled the US and Canada a couple years ago, I was amazed to see the amount of negative political adverts. I'm used to: Vote for this, because this is good for these reasons.
The discours I have witnessed was: This person is a monster! No, this person is the bigger monster!

I'm appalled about the toxicity of the political discourse, with a lack of separation of facts, emotions, the character of the responsible person in office, as well as a disparity in the perception of reality. From two parties which, from a eurocentric point of view, are both quite similar.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #55 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:05pm

I am reading a lot of straight up propaganda here.  First, let me say that because tRump got 6% of the Black vote in 2016 and 8% in 2020 doesn't prove that tRump isn't a racist any more than showing thirty plus year old pictures of him with a few famous Black people does.   https://www.vox.com/2020/11/4/21537966/trump-black-voters-exit-polls It only proves that a very small minority of Black voters can be duped into voting against their own best interests. 
     None of the charges (outright lies) against the Clintons were ever substantiated.  Neither has ever been charged let alone convicted of any of this nonsense despite a two decade long very expensive witch hunt paid for by us.  If you have proof I'd like to see it. Otherwise what you've posted is just so much bull poopy.   
      This conversation has disappointedly degenerated into something moronic that belongs on Facebook so at this point in the interest of keeping the peace I'll bow out. Enjoy your Fox News lies.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #56 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:12pm

I'm very sorry you feel that way Ratman. I am more sorry that people have talked and done the same activity for years simply get dismissed when they don't line up with a political tribe's line.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #57 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:29pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:05pm:
    I am reading a lot of straight up propaganda here.  First, let me say that because tRump got 6% of the Black vote in 2016 and 8% in 2020 doesn't prove that tRump isn't a racist any more than showing thirty plus year old pictures of him with a few famous Black people does.   https://www.vox.com/2020/11/4/21537966/trump-black-voters-exit-polls It only proves that a very small minority of Black voters can be duped into voting against their own best interests. 
     None of the charges (outright lies) against the Clintons were ever substantiated.  Neither has ever been charged let alone convicted of any of this nonsense despite a two decade long very expensive witch hunt paid for by us.  If you have proof I'd like to see it. Otherwise what you've posted is just so much bull poopy.   
      This conversation has disappointedly degenerated into something moronic that belongs on Facebook so at this point in the interest of keeping the peace I'll bow out. Enjoy your Fox News lies. 

Talk about lack of self-awareness. 

You insinuate that Trump voters are white nationalist and Nazis, then get upset when we refute your claims with actual evidence.

Unlike you, I don't think you're a bad person for voting for the wrong side and against your own self interest.  It's clear you're just brainwashed and particularly gullible to the propaganda you've been fed your entire life.  I suggest turning off the TV for the next 10 years.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #58 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 1:00pm

I think I'm done with politics now.

I think we're all done with politics in fact.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #59 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:22pm

For the record, she got caught. FBI director Comey just decided NOT to press charges against her. Must be all that money, and influence they have.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man)