Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Done with politics? (Read 15455 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Done with politics?
Reply #30 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 8:52pm

NPR estimate (excluding third parties) is 51-49 % (80 million Biden, 74 million Trump). I do not buy that there are 74 Million neonazis all of a sudden in the US. Treating each of those 74 Million people as if they are nazis or fools will take us closer to civil war. Perhaps it is just easier for the older and the younger to say "so be it". I have a pregnant wife and 2 small children. I have read accounts of civil war over the millenia. I have an idea what it entails. I do not wish civil war if it can be reasonably avoided. There is a place for war, even civil war, I have heard no reasons merely screaming that the other side is evil. Surely we are better than that.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #31 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 1:46am

Approximately 35 - 40% of Americans are just fine with our government being infested with Nazi goons. You can call them White Supremacists if that sounds more pleasant to you... tRump's very fine people.  Personally i find it supremely offensive and always will.
   That said, no sane person wants war of any sort.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #32 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 3:50am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 1:46am:
That said, no sane person wants war of any sort.

Probably a bunch of sane people, many of them rich americans who'd be quite happy to see USA tear it's self to pieces while they make money off both sides. I imagine a bunch of foreign govts would be overjoyed as well.

But many third world govts would pee their pants, because without USA support, there's nothing between them and their own people but a whole lot of serious grievances and a whole lot of blood.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 6:28am

Although I did not vote for him or Biden I have a hard time believing all the Hispanic and black people I know that voted for Trump are secretly white supremacists...wait... no no no. Very tricky. I'm done with politics. Lol. At least until someone says something I disagree with again.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #34 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 6:38am

Some talk of civil war, I want you to think about this advertisement and to see this mural in Belfast. 30 years of civil war.

Belfast_murals_14.JPG (200 KB | 10 )
Belfast_murals_14.JPG

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 6:54am

The two babies in this picture were protestant but babies died on both side.  Cry
When the first baby was released, the journalist didn't have the courage to take the photo. When they took out the second baby, he tought he would take the picture.
This is what a civil war is  !

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #36 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:11am

Well it seems the answer to the question 'Done with politics?' Is a fairly resounding 'No' Morphy.

I know this is just going to trigger more debate but I do think the temperature needs to come down a lot on both sides. Both sides view the other as completely irredeemable and seem completely blind to follies of their own side.

Dems give a pass to creeping authoritarian wokeism infecting society and repubs give a pass to Trump being an awful human being and who trashed faith in the democratic system in an attempt to hold onto power.

For me if Biden was ideologically 'woke' it would be a 50-50 choice, with both options being truly terrible. However since Biden has remained reasonable he very easily surpasses Trump. But I'm not even American so who cares.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #37 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:34am

I find it hard to find American politicians I side with because your whole political system is way further right than most of Europe. Biden would be a Conservative in Britain so right wing compared to Labour. Trump, in a lot of ways doesn't truly fit into a Left/Right way of measuring political alignment. Trump is for Trump at the end of the day. If he could be convinced it would benefit him, he would advocate for and implement Soviet Communism. He's a textbook example of a narcissist. A true, down to the roots narcissist. He is physically incapable of empathy and as such I would not have trusted him with a particularly sharp pencil let alone the nuclear codes. Remember when he suggested dropping a nuke on tornado? Yeah. If I was American it would absolutely be Biden I would vote for. He is far from perfect but at least he's LESS likely to irradiate large swathes of the world because someone pissed him off on Twitter...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #38 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:35am

Current us population estimate is 328.2 million people. Multiplying by your lower bound 35%  we get 114 million of "tRumps very fine people" who are ok with "nazi goons infesting government". This doesn't seem an overestimate to you? I imagine the number of people who are actually ok with "nazi goons" is statistically nonsignificant. It's the number of people who disagree politically that is large and that disagreement itself is not evil.

I agree with Judo, both sides need to calm down. The ideological divide is getting hot. We're having legitimate group vs group aggression and social unrest (some if it just 2 hours away from me). If we can't cool it down, it will get hotter and it will bring horror. Half of Americans disagree with you. Whichever side you're on. We should find a way to get along.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:08am

JudoP wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:11am:
Well it seems the answer to the question 'Done with politics?' Is a fairly resounding 'No' Morphy.

You may have a point.   Grin Grin

Well come to think of it this may actually be the perfect study in why I'm done with politics so in a way....

But as I was telling Vet earlier who would've guessed a thread like this would go nuclear?

My next thread should be a little less devisive. Tentatively I'm calling it,  "Your religion and why everyone else is stupid."
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2020 at 12:12pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #40 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:18am

tRump's racism is meticulously documented going back to the 80s in countless reputable sources.  I could look them up for you and list them here but honestly I've grown tired of doing so.  The fact that he appointed White Nationalists like Miller and Bannon to key positions is there for the world to see.  tRump is endorsed by the American Nazi Party, the KKK, and ever other White Nationalist group in America.
Willful ignorance is extremely unbecoming. 

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #41 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:56am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:18am:
tRump's racism is meticulously documented going back to the 80s in countless reputable sources.  I could look them up for you and list them here but honestly I've grown tired of doing so.  The fact that he appointed White Nationalists like Miller and Bannon to key positions is there for the world to see.  tRump is endorsed by the American Nazi Party, the KKK, and ever other White Nationalist group in America.

And Biden is endorsed by Richard Spencer.  I actually have evidence to back up my claim.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #42 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 10:07am

Rat Man wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:18am:

Well, since you're throwing around accusations of racism like they're candy (typical DemocRAT), here you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_members_in_United_States_politics

18 known members of the KKK in American politics.

2 Republicans
15 Democrats
1 (David Duke) who ran under both parties.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 10:11am

Ratman I'm using your words, your assertions, and math. That's not willfull ignorance it's an attempt at reasoning with you.

All I've argued for is that we need to calm down and avoid the civil war you agree you don't want. Part of that is acknowledging that not everyone on the other side (not even most of them) are agents of evil. If that is too big a stretch, then, as I am increasingly becoming resigned to, there is no hope for peace between our tribes and horror is inevitable.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #44 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 10:45am

You cant be this ridiculous,  as its been pointed out now for the 3rd time. How can the (black,brown) voters be white supremacist?? But has been avoided in this thread. Yet its been proven that Trump has had most colored votes then any Republican  in recent history.  The economy has been doing good.

Now i am not giving him a free pass, but Trump is the lesser of 2 evils. Back in 2016, and 2020. Even Obama has said quote 'don't underestimate Joe's ability to F@$!things up'. Joe has been in politics for 47 years. Hasn't done anything. He signed that crime bill in 1994 that was against blacks, put alot of them in prison. He has the hypocrite group Antifa, and a few more. Which they all want to go against the constitution.  Mainly the 2ndA.  He lies, i can go on forever with this list

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)