Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Done with politics? (Read 15675 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Done with politics?
Nov 19th, 2020 at 9:32am

I know this particular question may seem American-centric but I mean this in more of a general sense. Question being were you as relieved as I was when the election was done? No, not because Trump lost or Biden won but because you are just sick of politics in general? I find the older I get the more I feel like politics is just a big show. Some are faker than others but I have a hard time really believing most of them are for the average person. Some maybe but most probably not.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Done with politics?
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 9:49am

I understand the feeling.

We've had wrangling in the UK about Brexit for four long years now. I've always been very against it as I feel it will harm the prosperity and standing of the country, but when BoJo won the latest GE with a strong majority it effectively ended any chance for remain or a softer leave deal. It's not the outcome I wanted but there's something positive about the course of action being decided now at least. In any case the very slight silver lining for me is I now get to see all the Brexit BSers having to actually try to deliver on their promises*.

*Lies

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 10:50am

Consprency Theorists believe:

Politicians and your government gives a hoot about you and have your best interests at heart.

Political parties matter.  (See above)

News media does not lie or spin their presentation.

Big Pharma wants you to get well and have a healthy life.

Fast Food is nutritious.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 2:42pm

I can't wait for ALL the trolls to stop, shut up, and to get out of thier basements, get some sun, and go find a job. Only in a perfect world.  Unfortunately this poopy show is a long way before its done.  No matter how much i want it to be over.  Its gonna be interesting for sure.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 4:23pm

Agreed.  The extreme division drives me nuts.  I hate the fact that any time someone says something, it's the person's political party that will determine whether or not another person agrees with them (in no way pointing that finger at anyone on this forum).  If there was a way to opt out of political content in my news, recommended videos, and pop-up windows, I would do it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:26pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 4:23pm:
Agreed.  The extreme division drives me nuts.  I hate the fact that any time someone says something, it's the person's political party that will determine whether or not another person agrees with them (in no way pointing that finger at anyone on this forum).  If there was a way to opt out of political content in my news, recommended videos, and pop-up windows, I would do it.

This is my biggest gripe too. Politics should not be a team sport. When a person does wrong you should call them out, when they do right they should be supported. Regardless of party affiliation.

The other issue I am having is this idea that if you disagree with an opposing viewpoint it's not because you are a good, decent person that happens to have a different viewpoint, it's because you are a commie or "literal Nazi". There is practically no middle ground anymore and all motivations must be reduced to the basest possible  intention.

My family is currently split because of it and I as the politically exhausted hear all sides and agree with none.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:39pm

I had an interesting experience recently. This is mostly related to politics so I guess it still fits but it was really about general news. I think, like most people nowadays I consume news media through social media platforms linking out to various news sites. I very rarely actually go to a news site and just go through the "front page" anymore. Well I did recently for the first time in a long time and...

It was depressing as hell.

I realised after why it was such an awful experience. With seeing articles being linked on other sites like Reddit and Facebook and Twitter and whatnot, in between depressing articles about how terrible the world is you get the general internet detritus of cat gifs, funny memes, unfunny memes and random posts of people just going about their daily lives. The horror and fear-mongering is softened because look that dog is doing a silly dance! In between news reports on the Nigerian government brutally cracking down on citizens protesting the far reaching powers and abuses of the secret police and the latest corona virus death toll, you get to get a little hit of dopamine as a post asks you if you remember some cartoon from the 90's you really used to love. It's a weird phenomenon which I haven't heard talked about before. I have no idea what the long running affects of this style of news proliferation but it really did hit me over the head. Traditional news presentation is DEPRESSING. Politics makes up most of the news so no wonder everyone is sick of it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:38pm

It would be sweet if all politicians were statesmen/women and the voting polls inviolate.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 1:14am

I have a policy to stay out of politics, religion, and other mens wives.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 7:13pm

walter wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:38pm:
It would be sweet if all politicians were statesmen/women and the voting polls inviolate.

What fantasy utopia is this and how does one get there?  Smiley

My theory is that since politics is one of the main seats of power and power attracts the corrupt it's inevitable that evil people will rule over the good. Until the good get suitably pissed and grab there pitchforks and torches. 

Unfortunately we are now living in possibly the first time in history where a civil uprising has very little chance of winning. The tech divide is too huge.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 7:52pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 20th, 2020 at 7:13pm:
power attracts the corrupt it's inevitable that evil people will rule over the good.

Yep, it's basic physics, poo floats to the top, all we can do is flush once in a while.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:20am

Oh god yeah !

The american position is bad enough when you're living in england - can't imagine how bad it is for you guys !

And it's not like the uk setup is brilliant.

we seem to have gone the opposite way to you lot.
Someone so much as frowns at a workmate and they're accused of bullying.
And political correctness really has gone so far off the bloody deepend over here that it's started digging a hole at the bottom of the marianas trench.

I have facebook friends in both US camps - both are as bad as each other while simultaneously claiming the moral high ground.

So currently mostly avoiding facebook. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:55am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:20am:

Unfortunately we have this happening here as well. More so in big cities

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:59am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 24th, 2020 at 8:20am:
Oh god yeah !

The american position is bad enough when you're living in england - can't imagine how bad it is for you guys !

And it's not like the uk setup is brilliant.

we seem to have gone the opposite way to you lot.
And political correctness really has gone so far off the bloody deepend over here that it's started digging a hole at the bottom of the marianas trench.

I have facebook friends in both US camps - both are as bad as each other while simultaneously claiming the moral high ground.

So currently mostly avoiding facebook. 

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:33pm

I wish I could be done with politics.  tRump has radicalized me.  I doubt at this point I'll ever be done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)