Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Done with politics? (Read 15479 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Done with politics?
Reply #15 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 7:59pm

and what benefit to you or others will that have?

Near as I can tell the radicalization of the American Population is far worse than the actual policies of the current and previous tenants of the white house.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:03pm

Taking a stand against racism, corruption, and evil is not a bad thing by any measure.  If I was a citizen of Germany in the 30s I'd certainly oppose Hitler.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 9:00pm

Pretty sure this is that part in a thread where there's an awkward silence and then someone posts a bad joke to break the tension. Can you imagine? *shrug*

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:19pm

except your "Hitler" is gone now and you just said you're still "radical" and will be the rest of your life.

I don't see a great injustice, a great cause, I see what you described. Self radicalized people getting us closer to civil war. I'd as soon not see that.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 12:25am

As a general rule, the first person to mention Hitler in an argument loses.

What scares me is all the people who think Trump is so bad that they don’t care whether the election was stolen or not. That’s all fine and good until the next guy(or gal) you think is evil uses the same tactics to invalidate your vote and your side loses... then it’s an outrage. Apparently nobody cares about Kantian ethics any more. The other guy gets a different set of rules than me, and apparently that’s not a problem.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 10:26am

All this proves to me is that two good people can have wildly different viewpoints and remain good people. The deep polarization of today's politics is a problem. Too many people see someone with opposing views as not just different or wrong but evil.

I hope that's not the case here. I think it's accurate to say we have the full spectrum of political thought here on Slinging.Org and none of us have a bad heart.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 10:34am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 12:25am:
As a general rule, the first person to mention Hitler in an argument loses.

How about Mao?

https://youtu.be/k-rE03PGQfA

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #22 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 10:45am

The "leaders" who govern us are convinced of their intelligence.
So the people for them are wrong. Problem : many people don't like this contempt.
In France, we have " les gilets jaunes" (the yellow vests).

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 11:59am

anyone watched the social dilemma?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 1:29pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:19pm:
except your "Hitler" is gone now and you just said you're still "radical" and will be the rest of your life.

I don't see a great injustice, a great cause, I see what you described. Self radicalized people getting us closer to civil war. I'd as soon not see that.

The White Nationalists who put tRump in power didn't just suddenly evaporate.  They've always been here and always will.  Until 20l6 I considered them a harmless minority... a tragic relic from our not so distant past.  The past four years have illustrated how very potent they still are an how dangerous they can be. 
    There is no reconciliation or negotiating with Nazis. If standing up for truth and right brings us closer to civil war then so be it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #25 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 2:53pm

I dont think that there are that many neo nazis in this country to where they put Trump in office.  I voted  for him, am i automatically a nazi? I dont think so. What would you call all 'colored' voters, (black, brown, green) i dont think youcould call them nazi.

I unfortunately see this thread getting way to personal. It mightcause some issues here

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #26 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 3:54pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:03pm:
   Taking a stand against racism, corruption, and evil is not a bad thing by any measure.  If I was a citizen of Germany in the 30s I'd certainly oppose Hitler. 

Sure you would.

Rat Man wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 1:29pm:
perpetualstudent wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:19pm:

The White Nationalists who put tRump in power didn't just suddenly evaporate.  They've always been here and always will.  Until 20l6 I considered them a harmless minority... a tragic relic from our not so distant past.  The past four years have illustrated how very potent they still are an how dangerous they can be. 
    There is no reconciliation or negotiating with Nazis. If standing up for truth and right brings us closer to civil war then so be it. 

You think the side that gets "triggered" by people calling them names would win against the side that you call every horrible name in the book and can take it without crying to the PC police?  Ha!

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #27 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:33pm

From an outside perspective it makes zero difference who is in power in the USA or the rest of the first World, either way it's ongoing bad news for the third World and developing nations. Because whatever they do at home, they will always endorse and finance corrupt regimes and protect them against their own people in the rest of the World...... just saying

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:36pm

a wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:33pm:
From an outside perspective it makes zero difference who is in power in the USA, either way it's ongoing bad news for the third World and developing nations. Because whatever they do at home, they will always endorse and finance corrupt regimes and protect them against their own people...... just saying

Yep pretty much. Not every American is for that by the way. We feel just as powerless to stop that stuff as you probably do.

The last 4 years have continually reminded me of a quote I like from Nietzsche:

Take that however you want.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #29 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:50pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 4:36pm:
Yep pretty much. Not every American is for that by the way. We feel just as powerless to stop that stuff as you probably do.

You're more powerless than us. We always have options (but not always the will) to fight back.

At the end of the day I personally just want to be someone I can be proud of and set a clean example for my kids to follow. The big picture will play out on it's own.

On the rare occasions corruption sticks itself in my face, I headbutt it. Honestly I'd rather ignore it and I don't go looking for it, but due to my religion I'm obligated to face evil head on without fear and give it a kicking. So after several incidents it usually gives me a wide berth. Wink

Quote "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" :- Spiderman. Vol 2 Chap 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)