Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Done with politics? (Read 15448 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Done with politics?
Reply #120 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:23am

Do I have to be in a cult to believe conspiracies exist?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #121 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:19am

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #122 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:48am

It becomes a cult when there's no basis for the claim of conspiracy: To believe that Wells Fargo conspired to commit fraud is one thing, because they did and there is evidence which can be traced.

To base the claim on nothing aside from faith brings it to the level of a cult.

Pizzagate is a great example of this elevation to cult status: The place targeted didn't even have a basement for the claimed conspiracy to happen in. People in the cult still believe the whole conspiracy theory despite all the clams being debunked by solid evidence to the contrary.

Refusing to adapt to new information about a conspiracy, or lack thereof, makes it a cult or delusion.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #123 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:52am

Morphy wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:23am:
Do I have to be in a cult to believe conspiracies exist?

Conspiracy needs a precise definition. To me, a conspiracy simply means more than one person working together in secret to accomplish an illegal goal. That happens all the time. The scale of conspiracy required by many conspiracy theories requires hundreds or thousands of people to keep the secret until they reach the goal, and that’s why they are usually implausible.

You don’t need to conspire to individually work towards a common goal though, and multiple mutually beneficial conspiracies may happen without communication between them.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #124 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:17am

Okay I can't be arsed to read through 8 pages.
So I'll just add a general comment on the actual thread title.

Are we done with politics ?

Unfortunately not.

Our whole civilisation relies on them to function.
Does the invasion of congress have anything to do with politics ?
Nope.

The people who believe what donald trump says - are not engaged in politics. They are most definitely cult members.

To those of us in the world outside america, there was nothing surprising about the invasion of congress - it's simply the obvious culmination of having a political system that can put a venal sociopath with almost no political experience or beliefs into power and given the job of running a country.

If the protestors had been ANYONE other than trump supporters, there would most likely have been a massacre.
There would certainly have been a vastly greater number of security personnel on duty - most likely national guard units. Tear gas and rubber bullets - or just bullets, it is america - would most definitely have been employed.

It's pretty obvious that trump made sure the security was too light and then urged them to invade congress and disrupt the actual political process that was ongoing.   

Throughout the last 5 years I have never understood how anyone could believe a single thing trump says.
He can and frequently does, contradict himself several times in the same day.
But still his supporters/followers/worshippers believe every single thing he says - and against all evidence to the contrary, think he actually has america's best interests in mind.

It has to be a cult or some kind of brainwashing.
How can military veterans support a man who - during his presidency - defrauded charities set up to benefit vets, and as a consequence is now banned from running those charities.

It's not hearsay - it's publically accessible court records !

There is something very wrong with how trump's supporters think and behave.
I don't know if it's some function of how america is setup with each state almost being a seperate country and the us lackng anything that might be called a reliable national news service.
Or simply down to subliminal programming.
But there is little doubt that people have clearly been brainwashed.

I suppose it could be called a religion. The lack of any kind of concrete evidence and the pure blind belief in what an individual says - despite every single tangible thing contradicting them - is how most religions start.

I mean if you worship a volcano, it's pretty clear the volcano exists and occasionally gets upset and melts the odd village or three.

If you worshipan an ideal and an intangible being - then that's based solely on belief.
And while trump might well be tangible, the thnigs people worship about him are all 100% intangible and nonexistent.

I suppose that religion has always been a large part of american politics - much more so than in most western countries.

Has it now become everything ?

I don't know, I hope not.

Given how the majority of americans voted in the last two elections - it would seem that there is still some hope left.

What happens in the next 4 years, could well determine if religion or politics will rule.
We'll have to see.

I'm not a fan of either religion or politics, but if we have to have one system, then at least politics is based on human interest and giving the majority some of what they want.
Religion is based solely on giving priests what they tell you your god wants. Or in trumps case, the god telling you directly.

Both are poor ways to run a society, but if you got to pick one - then politics has the potential to do the most good for the most people.
Sort of, lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #125 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:43am

Easy there CA or else I might have to start talking about Brexit!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #126 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:46am

at least it was a president, not a king who went mad. I mean, can you imagine? A king who was medically insane?  Tongue

I kid the brits but the American (and eventual western) elevation of "democracy" to constitute legitimacy has not changed how humans are nor solved the fundamental problems of human organization. As the joke goes "the second oldest profession bears a striking resemblance to the first."

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #127 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:14pm

Most if not all non Americans,  just dont understand that

1st he was elected due to being the lesser of 2 evils. 2016 against Hilary.  Research how most people cross the Clintons end up dead.

2nd there was fraud in 2020 election. Biden is scum. Personal experience.

We didnt want another career politican,  someone who it took 47 years to become president after numerous attempts at getting the office. With plenty of his own scan

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #128 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:27pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:14pm:
2nd there was fraud in 2020 election

That would be the fraud that has absolutely no tangible proof attached to it and has failed to materialise in the over 50 court cases brought against the election that have been thrown out or ruled against due to lack of evidence? The court cases presided over by Democrats and Republicans including the Supreme Court that Trump attempted to stack in his favour? There is no evidence of fraud. There just isn't. Oh, except those isolated cases of Trump supporters voting for their dead mothers or attempting to vote twice, which is what Trump told his supporters to do. Should I link the video?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #129 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:46pm

Most media is biased against Trump, so its most likely already doctored against him. This has turned into a bash Trump thread. But no surprise. 

You cant convince me that the US elected a skeleton that is close to being on his death bed, and him being one of the most compromised, senators.  Obama even has comments aainst him. the Democrats have been known to let dead people vote, 5 to 20 years after they died.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #130 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:00pm

Once one of the parties manages to get the unborn voter it's all over.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #131 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:10pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:00pm:
Once one of the parties manages to get the unborn voter it's all over.

Give it time. Wouldn't surprise me then

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #132 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:49pm

First CA manages to combine relgion and politics, then Morphy throws in abortion?!  Wow.  Let's just get it out of the way now:  Everyone who has said anything at all on this thread is literally Hitler.

There. Now that we have instantiated Godwin's Law, let's get back to having saner conversations.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #133 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:23pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:49pm:
First CA manages to combine relgion and politics, then Morphy throws in abortion?!  Wow.  Let's just get it out of the way now:  Everyone who has said anything at all on this thread is literally Hitler.

There. Now that we have instantiated Godwin's Law, let's get back to having saner conversations.

That sh1t right there is exactly what Hitler would say. Guarantee NOOCs next thread he will half heartedly joke about invading Poland for the choice LOLs. This man must be watched. I'm still not convinced he's not some super advanced AI.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #134 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:37pm

Well Morphy since we have both established that you are literally Hitler and also the effigeal love child thereof, the only thing left to say is that, logically, you must also be your own grandpa.

Also, the LIBERATION of Poland is nothing to joke about.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)