Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Overshoulder Redux (Read 2624 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Overshoulder Redux
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:35am

And yet when people make videos you almost never see this style used. I wonder if more people use it than I thought? I need to source decent stones to try this out more.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:08am

I would guess due to its limited range that it is seen mostly as a novelty and therefore as a joke more than anything.
Which is a shame because it is easy to become proficient at.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:48am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:08am:
I would guess due to its limited range that it is seen mostly as a novelty and therefore as a joke more than anything.

I've never tried it's range, it's a powerful shot for hunting which is short range anyway. Allows you to shoot through a pretty tight vertical gap, or over anything your height.

Whats the range difference between another style?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 9:19am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:08am:
Which is a shame because it is easy to become proficient at.

I think you are probably right.

That and I have to say I love this community but it's true we have some people I would describe more as purists and some a tad less conventional. For me I am not one to disregard anything out of hand. If someone tells me something can't work it tends to make me want to try and prove that it can. I think every style has good and bad. This one is definitely weirdly better than I remember. I plan on getting some stones today and practicing it a bit just to see if that throw was a fluke.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 9:49am

a wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 8:48am:
Whats the range difference between another style?

Honestly not sure. But that's what my experience has been that many people say.
Apache style is very similar in execution and its too often dismissed as inefficient when brought up for exactly the same reason.

Apache, turkey and overshoulder should definitely be regarded as related in terms of technique typology.

Morphy wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 9:19am:
I think every style has good and bad.

Agreed. Maybe it can't launch anything far but it still works with its quick execution and ease of use.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2020 at 12:55pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 5:43pm

I'm getting more and more tempted to make a video of all the different styles. There have been some really good ones but they have always missed some styles out. I'll have to wait until next summer to do it but I think it could actually be worthwhile. I'll put up a post closer to the time asking which styles I should include. I'm pretty sure I can do all of the styles well enough to make a video.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 5:55pm

I plan on getting some stones today and practicing it a bit just to see if that throw was a fluke.

I'm interested to know how that goes. I can't throw for distance because my front yard isn't big enough. But the style feels natural and powerful, you can get your whole body behind it the way I do it. You step through and at the time of release you have your whole body throwing the rock, it's about 15 seconds into my one and only slinging vid. The pouch never actually touches me. https://youtu.be/s4tyJnX7vRk

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:20pm

a wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 5:55pm:
I plan on getting some stones today and practicing it a bit just to see if that throw was a fluke.
But the style feels natural and powerful, you can get your whole body behind it the way I do it.

Ever considered making a video using it? I always thought it was just a novelty but turns out i was probably wrong on that account.

The plan for the second video, besides a lot more slinging and a lot less talking, would be to compare distance vs a side arm, Apache and figure 8. My guess is it will lose to the figure 8 and side arm but match or beat the Apache. Then I'll go ahead and sling for accuracy.

Hoping to get it done tomorrow. I'll have to see how busy I am. Editing is going to take awhile though.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:40pm

Morphy wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:20pm:
Ever considered making a video using it? I always thought it was just a novelty but turns out i was probably wrong on that account.

I put a vid link in my last comment above. Have fun with it Smiley About half way through this vid https://youtu.be/s4tyJnX7vRk

I honestly can't see figure 8 as more powerful, but I've never got the hang of it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:53pm

a wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:40pm:
Morphy wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 6:20pm:

I put a vid link in my last comment above. Have fun with it Smiley About half way through this vid https://youtu.be/s4tyJnX7vRk

I honestly can't see figure 8 as more powerful, but I've never got the hang of it.

Oh nice! Ya I'm not super concerned with power because this is a niche throw like the Apache. If I can get good accuracy and similar power to the Apache that's all I need to consider it legitimate.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #25 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 7:36pm

Apache is very underrated and actually a great throw with heavy stones.
Oversholder and Turkey are very similar. I think a point that might have been overlooked is that Turkey style has a very specific sling length that makes it work well.
With turkey style if the sling is too short then you will find it uncomfortable to walk around with the sling behind your back and if the sling is too long then you will find that it is impossible to put tension on the chords. There is a sweet spot.
Over shoulder requires a more specific match in stone weight than Turkey and has the potential to drop the stone and foul the shot, interestingly both styles have the same principles in the power stroke.

I’m also very tempted to make a slinging styles video just to try showcase my understanding of the different techniques

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 5:27am

Mersa- "Over shoulder requires a more specific match in stone weight than Turkey and has the potential to drop the stone and foul the shot, interestingly both styles have the same principles in the power stroke."

Now that makes sense to me. And of course I readily admit I am bias against it due to... well due to the endless amounts of BS that spewed from his keyboard. But the fact that it needs to be used with a longer sling also makes sense. I can see it working but perhaps I need someone to explain its use better. It's fairly clear at this point how I feel about it. I am ready to be persuaded and if you or NOOC can manage it more power to you.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 7:33am

Hahahahaha died laughing when you made the throw and changed your mind.
It did look like it ripped through the leaves at a good clip!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 5:41pm

I mean it kind of did Tomas I'm not going to lie. You can actually watch as the little gears in my head decide I was completely wrong. But eh.  Grin

Now a smart man would've edited it. Actually let me rephrase that, a less lazy man would've edited it so no one knew my shame. Overshoulder part 2 will be much more professional. I have some good ideas for it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 8:30am

Kick wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 5:43pm:
I'm getting more and more tempted to make a video of all the different styles. There have been some really good ones but they have always missed some styles out. I'll have to wait until next summer to do it but I think it could actually be worthwhile. I'll put up a post closer to the time asking which styles I should include. I'm pretty sure I can do all of the styles well enough to make a video.

Please do!  The lighting was terrible when I did my kung fu meteor hammer sling video, so the world needs to see it demonstrated properly Smiley

I also still need to demonstrate the fist-pump style where the power stroke is actually backwards and the forward motion is an aiming phase.

A lot of “novelty” styles are actually pretty good for gaining better understanding of the sling and how it behaves with different parameters and conditions (like ammo weight vs sling length).

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)