Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Assasin's slinging style? (Read 2055 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Assasin's slinging style?
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:57pm

Ya’ll are really trying to keep RS’es memory alive aren’t you? Freaking Turkey throw lol. But you’ve all forgotten the magic glandes. I don’t know how it’s been forgotten exactly because it was an absolute whopper of a tall tale but I’m pretty sure you can find the full account in the Book of Jesus the Noodler: Revenge of the Jerusalem Noodle. Available at Amazon and all major retailers.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #16 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:03am

Wouldn't a turkey throw would be impractical for walking around with both your hand behind your back?

Morphy wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:00pm:
I used to do exactly that minus the killing people part while sling hunting and roving in Cali using the figure 8.. Lots of branches and trees. Crawling, ducking, taking shots in between trees.

Since you have real life expertise you are probably the authority on this question but wouldn't a greek overhand be a better option? Basically the same technique, just in a shorter timespan.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:15am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:03am:
Wouldn't a turkey throw would be impractical for walking around with both your hand behind your back?

Morphy wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 6:00pm:
I used to do exactly that minus the killing people part while sling hunting and roving in Cali using the figure 8.. Lots of branches and trees. Crawling, ducking, taking shots in between trees.

Since you have real life expertise you are probably the authority on this question but wouldn't a greek overhand be a better option? Basically the same technique, just in a shorter timespan.

I think they are only half serious about the Turkey throw. Years before RS ever came here I was experimenting with it for that very purpose. It, like rotors, have their uses but in actual practice it's not practical in most situations. Holding the pouch behind your back with the offhand is incredibly impractical and not needed. Simply using the correct length sling with the appropriate weight stone allows you to put the sling back over your shoulder and throw without the need for doing yoga before every shot. I set up a poll to see what people would like to name this throw and the forum chose Overshoulder.

The Greek overhand is actually the dark horse of the slinging world. I've encouraged Kick to stick with it because as of yet no one has become really good with it compared to the other throws but in theory it should be an excellent throw for hunting. I think Kick has been the most successful with it that I've seen but even he seems to favor other throws. Might need to see what he has to say. My experience is while it's faster to get a shot off it's harder to be consistently accurate in comparison to the figure 8. But to be fair I never spent a great deal of time practicing it.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #18 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:46am

Morphy wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:15am:
The Greek overhand is actually the dark horse of the slinging world. I've encouraged Kick to stick with it because as of yet no one has become really good with it compared to the other throws but in theory it should be an excellent throw for hunting. I think Kick has been the most successful with it that I've seen but even he seems to favor other throws. Might need to see what he has to say. My experience is while it's faster to get a shot off it's harder to be consistently accurate in comparison to the figure 8. But to be fair I never spent a great deal of time practicing it.

Huh, that's odd. For most of the time I've been slinging I used just that and I can't imagine anyone have problems with it.

Overshoulder.

Sounds interesting but difficult to imagine. Any videos?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:00am

I don't know why, but Greek is my most accurate style. It was ridiculous in Mallorca because I was doing pretty terrible and then switched to Greek and did a thousand times better. Honestly, I don't actually like it that much as a throw. It might be that I haven't been using the right length sling, but I feel I don't get all that much power, however, any points in strength seem to have moved into accuracy which is... kind of annoying Cheesy I would want to be accurate with fig 8 or helicopter or Balearic which have no power and look cooler, but no...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:14am

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 6:46am:

Huh, that's odd. For most of the time I've been slinging I used just that and I can't imagine anyone have problems with it.

Overshoulder.

Sounds interesting but difficult to imagine. Any videos?

Well everyone has their favorites. I'm actually not sure why it doesn't get as much love as some of the other throws but the two most popular styles by far seem to be Balearic and Figure 8.

I'm glad to hear you are having success. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous.  Grin

As for the Overshoulder maybe I can make a quick video in the next few days. It's quite a basic looking throw. It's not impressive looking by any means but it has its uses.

As for the the Turkey throw I have yet to see a turkey actually use it but I remain cautiously optimistic. Time will tell.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:26am

A lot of styles are defined by the windup, but the main difference between turkey style and overshoulder is actually the final position of the hands. You could perhaps argue that turkey is a more specific version of overshoulder I suppose if you really want to argue semantics. The most important thing about turkey style is that your wrist is bent at a sharp 90-degrees as the final position and your fingers and thumb all point at the target (this is for accuracy, obviously).
Also, your elbow should be tucked in tight against the body and pointing straight down at your toes. Your non-dominant hand gently cups the underside of the elbow for balance and stability. The tucked elbow allows you to throw in very tight spaces or even while lying down on the ground without sacrificing power in your shot. The power all comes from the hips anyway.

I know all about the power of turkey style because I shared a cubicle with an albino witch doctor many years ago when I was an insurance salesman. The witch doctor demonstrated the proper technique as part of a team-building exercise at the office. Sadly, we were both fired after the paper clip he used as ammo took out the eye of a photocopy salesman who walked into the break room unexpectedly.   

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:45am

Morphy wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:57pm:
Ya’ll are really trying to keep RS’es memory alive aren’t you? Freaking Turkey throw lol. But you’ve all forgotten the magic glandes. I don’t know how it’s been forgotten exactly because it was an absolute whopper of a tall tale but I’m pretty sure you can find the full account in the Book of Jesus the Noodler: Revenge of the Jerusalem Noodle. Available at Amazon and all major retailers.

Don’t you see Morphy? RS may be banished forever, but his spirit lives on through the lessons he taught us about how to properly troll the forum.  Now we can all appeal to  unverifiable references of slightly plausible ancient authority as a means to inspire other slinging.org members to try stupid things.

I’m sure RS would smile in satisfaction at the thought of some young slinger lying on the floor under a desk trying over and over to perfect the sequence of hip motions necessary to execute a full-power prostrate turkey throw.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:10am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:45am:
Morphy wrote on Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:57pm:

Don’t you see Morphy? RS may be banished forever, but his spirit lives on through the lessons he taught us about how to properly troll the forum.  Now we can all appeal to  unverifiable references of slightly plausible ancient authority as a means to inspire other slinging.org members to try stupid things.

I’m sure RS would smile in satisfaction at the thought of some young slinger lying on the floor under a desk trying over and over to perfect the sequence of hip motions necessary to execute a full-power prostrate turkey throw.

All of that is true but you have to admit the guy made a hell of an impact here in a short amount of time. Honestly we need a Hall of Infamy and he can be our first member. Likely I would be the next on that list lawl. Sigh.  Grin

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #24 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:35am

Morphy wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:14am:
As for the Overshoulder maybe I can make a quick video in the next few days.

Oh yes, please do.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:57am

Conversations about pseudo scenarios with pseudo techniques.  Over and over again.  How dreary.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 11:26am

What Jaegoor said. 

His guards from that time would be watching for just exactly what you are suggesting, which is an attack with some form of ranged weapon like a sling, crossbow, bow and arrow or some sort of spring loaded device.  Or even an early gun. 

Slings are not really all that good as a covert weapon because they require too much movement and that will attract attention.  And there's the crack of the tip in there, when one gets a good throw in.

As another person who attempted hunting with them in woods, there are lots better weapons than a sling.  Even in fairly open, mature hardwood creek bottoms, there were lots of times when my sling tangled on the throw.  (Several 5 gallon buckets of clay glandes expended, no squirrels were injured in the experiment.  I did manage to scare the crap out of a rabbit once, though.) 

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 11:36am

There was a former member that skipped a rock off trees and bushes and drove off a black bear once and I have done the same a couple of times with feral pigs when going to collect clay at the river.

I don't know about the other member but I know I was trying pretty hard to NOT hit the pigs, I wanted to make a racket and make them decide to go somewhere else.  I did not want to trigger an attack with a poor or more likely, a weak hit from a constrained throw. 

Also, my ammo was a rock about the size of a golf ball or a little larger, I couldn't carry many of those rocks stuffed into my pockets.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 1:44pm

Slyngorm wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:35am:
Morphy wrote on Nov 18th, 2020 at 7:14am:
As for the Overshoulder maybe I can make a quick video in the next few days.

Oh yes, please do.

Ok the thread is Overshoulder Redux on Other topics forum. (Ya posted it in the wrong place.)

There's a lot of info in there about it and some of it may even be right.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2020 at 10:33pm

I only do 2 styles of slinging, they're both crappy looking ones. One of them seems to be the overshoulder throw. Pretty much the same as throwing a rock https://youtu.be/s4tyJnX7vRk

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)