« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:48am by a »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: War slinging over heads
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 6:24am

a wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 5:46am:
the only reasonable way of doing it in close ranks.

I think this is the important thing when talking about how a sling would be used in war. How the units are arranged and used are the determining factor to what sort of style would be used. Slings have been used in war for thousands of years by almost every culture to some extent so how they were utilized I'm sure varied hugely. If they were used in close ranks and more static, then an overhand throw would be best. If the unit is more flexible, mobile and not as close then any style would be good but Balearic/sidearm I can see being widely used. I think the second style of them being more mobile units is probably, for the most part how they were used. Slingers can afford to be quite mobile and used for skirmishing and I think that would be how they would be best used.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 6:28am

a
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:49am by a »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 8:51am

We have a lot of names for styles but really, if you break it down by release, there are three styles. Overhand, underhand and then in between/sidearm. Fig.8 is overhand as is helicopter and Greek (and some others). Underhand is pretty much the only underhanded throw. Balearic is sidearm. It all comes down to the way the pouch releases.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 8:57am

a

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:01am

If it works then it is the proper way Cheesy The thing I found most interesting at the competition in Mallorca was that EVERYONE had a different style. Basically no-one was slinging the same way. Broadly there were similarities but everyone has their own bodies and also there own particular slings. In the end, if the stone hits the target (or goes really far) then you aren't doing it wrong.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:10am

a

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2020 at 2:54pm

a wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:10am:
I looked at the rules and my style wouldn't even qualify for the balearic competitions.

I think local Balearic competitions had/have a rule that you have to spin the sling 3 times before releasing, but they didn't keep that rule with the international competition. Isn't that right, Kick? (on the last bit?)

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2020 at 3:28am

Yeah it's more relaxed for the foreigners at least. Really it's supposed to be natural materials for slings as well but again for the foreigners that's more relaxed.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:55am

Edited:
I was reading a thread which degenerated into bickering

don't they all ? whistle

As far as the balearic rules go - they are kind of dumb and rarely applied. And pep admits they are pretty outdated.
The rules state: 2 rotations OVERHEAD.

The vast majority of balearic slingers don't do any overhead rotations.
It's primarily sidearm.

There are even a couple clubs that use figure 8 and pepe from malaga (as opposed to the myriad other 'pepe's) doesn't use any rotations.
And I would REALLY like to see someone try and disqualify him lol

I've been hassled a few times, but that's par for the course, as far as I'm concerned. lol
And I do try out different styles during competition, They REALLY hate byzantine lol

If it's going to happen - it will generally happen to me Smiley

Basically any style with an overhead release is good for slinging over troops.
The windup is largely irrelevant, it's the release that counts.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 5:50pm

a
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:50am by a »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 12:16am

We tend to obsess over form and function of slingers on ancient battlefields, but I suspect that the majority of conflicts were not dominated by disciplined ranks like you see in video games. Even if they start that way, the order and discipline wouldn’t hold for long. I imagine it was probably a more violent version of something like this:

https://twitter.com/RichieMcGinniss/status/1337913085336702980?s=20

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 2:20am

a

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 8:49am

I believe that. I’m a little embarrassed that neither side knows how to use a stick properly, but for their sake that’s probably a good thing.

My main point is that chaos would be the order of the day on any real battlefield after the first couple of minutes. If slingers are still slinging at all, they would be doing whatever came naturally and whatever they could do quickly in whatever space they had.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 9:40am

a

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)