Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Trash Sling Challenge 2020 (Read 13195 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Trash Sling Challenge 2020
Reply #15 - Nov 25th, 2020 at 4:15pm

Looking forward to it Kick!  I have the raw materials for mine.  Although I might try to do a couple this year since there is so much time.  I'll be getting to that as soon as my SITH sling is done, which is getting there.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 10:43am

Done! I took so long all the snow seen in the video is LONG gone.

Not the most successful but it was darn fun Cheesy

https://youtu.be/14Ac4gUOOns

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 2:57pm

Oh man!  I'm working on something extremely similar.  It's all good.  I'm happy to be a copycat.  Cheesy

Nice sling Kick!  How would you rate the strength?  Do you think it could go for a while, or likely to break after a fairly small number of throws?  From your video, I wasn't sure if the rock just slipped out or if the sling actually broke.  Not holding up for very long is the concern I have with the one I'm putting together.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 4:55pm

I'm not sure entirely. I think it could last a fair while. Abrasion moght be a problem but I always use smooth stones so it would take a while to wear out. It has a fair amount of stretch but I can't tell if that's the twining "evening out", the fibres pulling apart or the plastic itself stretching. I haven't pushed it all that far but it seems sturdy enough to last a fairly long time so I would say it's survival-situation-friendly. I've think it would have to be a pretty heavy rock to straight up snap it.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 1:41am

Love it Kick! 

I really need to get mine started. It’s going to take a while if I can pull off what I hope to build Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 3:24am

Great stuff kick, I might see what trash builds up over Christmas and see what I can get

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 5:22pm

Lol seems like it's a common theme

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 7:08am

I laughed multiple times during the video. Something about taking bread out of your sling before use struck me as amusing. And dropping the rock in front of your (I assume) significant other definitely reminds me of some of my experiences. I plan on using whatever Ricky bandit uses to send me his SITH sling in for making my sling. Slingception I think it's called.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 2:48pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 11th, 2020 at 7:08am:
And dropping the rock in front of your (I assume) significant other definitely reminds me of some of my experiences

She found it hilarious...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #24 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 11:18pm

Trash Sling entry number two!  I might do another one if something interesting comes to mind.  But this sling worked better than I expected, despite being a little finicky.

https://youtu.be/dXSQnTlheCg

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #25 - Dec 12th, 2020 at 1:01am

Joe, NICE! You adjusted to the new release timing really quickly.

You're into disc golf too! I've been hittin' the disc golf hard since March.  What do you think about trying to do a video on Brodie Smith's tagline for the end of his videos? It could be entertaining... I'm thinking of doing one myself.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #26 - Dec 12th, 2020 at 10:30am

Thanks man!

The basket got put in because there used to be a trampoline in that spot (junky one that came with the house).  I got rid of it, and then that area (all by itself) turned into a garden of goldenrod, stuff with thorns, and other weeds.  Being that I had to dig it out anyway, I wanted to do something more interesting than just plant grass.  It is cool having a basket in the yard.  I'm much more of a casual player.  My year sounds like it's been the opposite of yours.  I've only been out a few times.

I'm fairly certain I know the tagline you're talking about.  I've thought about trying that quite a few times.  I think I have an idea for a pouch that would work.  The problem is I can't think of any way to keep the disc flat during the throw and into the release.  But because that the trash sling is done, this could be something to look into.  Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #27 - Dec 12th, 2020 at 2:58pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 12th, 2020 at 10:30am:
I think I have an idea for a pouch that would work.

There was a post from J or Sarosh a while ago that mentioned that a "Y" sling was able to sling flat stones and get them to spin correctly. I have yet to try it, but I think a scaled up version for a disc would be the best thing.  It would be fun to try.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #28 - Dec 12th, 2020 at 6:03pm

That's a good thought.  That might work better than what I had in mind.  I was thinking more of a net pouch that would wrap around the disc.  A Y-pouch would give three points of contact too, which could help with stability.  I think I'm going to give that a try and will post any results.  I'll start a new thread though so we don't distract from the Trash Sling Challenge anymore than we already have.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 2:59pm

How did I miss this for several days?!
Great video Joe!  Nicely executed. It seems like bag-based cordage is all the rage this year. I love the “natural” pouch too.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, LightSlinger)