Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My first sling.org post, link to my progress vid and sling building photos (Read 1244 times)
RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

My first sling.org post, link to my progress vid and sling building photos
Nov 13th, 2020 at 7:47pm

I've been learning to sling for about 2 months now!

I'm getting better and just wanted to share an early video of my progress with some fruits leftover from a nearby tree (for safety)

https://youtu.be/g7IidqNVIoU

This is edited down from about 15 shots, most of the fruits exploded before even leaving the sling pouch (as you'd expect)

My accuracy with propper ammo is probably 5/10 on a good day.

As this has garnered a little interest, I've made and am adding a second video of myself practicing with real rocks!

https://youtu.be/kDIHnI5C4u4

I've also included a supercut of my early-stage slinging technique, there are a bunch of inconsistencies in it so far but a few of these went off really well.

https://youtu.be/-SnncTWnoKg

Also included is my sling building progress over the last 2 months.

Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2020 at 1:35am by RickkyBandit »  

sling_building.jpg (981 KB | 19 )
sling_building.jpg

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: My first sling.org post, link to my progress vid and sling building photos
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 9:36pm

Looking good!  I remember it taking me a while just to consistently throw forward.  I've got a few apples trees and a black walnut tree in my yard, so I do a lot of fruit throwing too once they start dropping.  Cheesy

And welcome from Pennsylvania!

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 10:18pm

Ahahaha oh my god! I must have thrown like 300 rocks before I could even get them to go the direction I wanted consistently! And I must have thrown 1000+ by now just trying to get some decent accuracy  Grin Grin

Yeah, fruit and nuts are great, they have such a satisfying pop when they hit something hard!

Great to hear from you and greetings from South Australia!

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 12:14am

Looks like you're having fun (Y)

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 12:18am

I used to use slingshots, and I still use my bows, but there's something about the elegant simplicity and devastating power of the humble sling that keeps me so much more motivated to practice with my sling. I really is just more FUN I've found Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 12:44am

Do you ever have an issue with your missiles impacting the pouch knots?

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 1:00am

Not 100% sure if I'm reading your question right as I'm very new to sling theory! however, I don't think I've had any ammo get caught on my pouch knots (I think that's what you're asking) I did however have the pouch knots actually come out of the leather pouch (presumably because of the increased G-forces being applied to the pouch as my technique got more refined, and faster ( I use an underhanded technique that reminds me of the way trebuchets work.) and so I ended up changing my sling designs to use a looped slipknot similar to that which you'd use to attach the rubber flat-bands of a slingshot to its pouch, since that change I have not had any breaks or disconnections so far.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 2:19am

When the stone is released it can hit a knot throwing it slightly off course rather than a clean release. Makes the shots inconsistent sometimes. Just an personal observation, I don't do any theory stuff.

I don't actually use separate pouches at all after a few tries with them, so you'd probably get better observations from others.

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 2:24am

I'm probably not a level where I'd notice it thb, but now that I'm aware of it I shall for sure keep my eye out for it! thanks a lot mate! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 6:07am

Hello from France,
Practice, practice and practice, that's the secret.  Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 6:20am

Looking good and welcome to the forum. It's good you are getting videos of your progress early on to see how fast you are progressing. Sometimes it will feel like you aren't getting better but in reality it just happens slow enough that you don't always see it day to day or week to week.

Are you taking part in the SITH?

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 7:41am

Hello! I am always impressed by how many places people are still slinging from! And you're absolutely right! practice is the only answer to most problems, that and a bit of research!

And yeah I've been trying to document a lot of the early stuff I've been doing in my numerous hobbies cause I always regret not doing it later! It's a great source of motivation too!

I do appologise, I'm in the waning weeks of my Uni degree and do not know what SITH is! I am likely not doing it either! But if someone has a few moments to explain the jist of it i'm sure it'd be worth trying to be doing!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 7:53am

Welcome from Finland! The SITH (Sling In The Hat) is a tradition on the forum that around Christmas participating members get paired up and they exchange slings with each other. Good way of getting some more slings and seeing people's sling styles up close. It's open to anyone, doesn't matter if you make simple slings or 64 strand braided slings. It's darn good fun.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

RickkyBandit

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 5:44pm

Oh wow that sounds like a lot of fun! I think I just found the post about it as well!

I'm gonna have to give it a go! Greetings from South Australia!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 9:23pm

Howdy from South Texas! It looks like you’re off to a great start!

(We should move this thread over with the introductions)

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15)