but maybe some day.

Unfortunately that day rarely comes. 4 boys is good going though Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: New toy
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 4:59pm

If there aren’t things on your bucket list that never get done, you’re probably not thinking big enough. I agree that it’s unlikely that this particular “some day” would happen, but it’s because I’m too busy doing other things that I want to do more Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 4:59pm

The other half of the new toy has arrived!

Achievement: unlocked!
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2020 at 7:37pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 8:01pm

huh. Is that a custom die cutter? Or a standard one? I've been thinking about a custom die cutter but have no idea where to start looking for information.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 8:52pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Dec 9th, 2020 at 8:01pm:
huh. Is that a custom die cutter? Or a standard one? I've been thinking about a custom die cutter but have no idea where to start looking for information.

Yes. Full custom die for a leather press. I researched a lot of different approaches, and it took me a couple of years to get to this point. I’m sure you can do it faster if you want to... especially if you already know you want to go with a die and aren’t comparing it to other methods like laser cutting. If there’s a specific die design you have in mind, I might be able to help you create the drawing and walk you through the process I went through to have mine made.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 2:58am

Awesome!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 7:21am

Thats freaking sweet

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 7:48am

That's pretty awesome.  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 8:38am

For me I was thinking about cutting cardboard rather than leather. I'd like to stamp out 1/3 scale IPSC targets. So roughly torso shaped a little under the size of a standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper, using only right angles. I probably wouldn't buy a leather press, I have an arbor press I might use or I'm sure I could rig something. I just have no idea how feasible getting that kind of die would be.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 7:23pm

That’s going to be pretty expensive as a custom die because of the size., and it wouldn’t even fit in the leather press I have.  I would look at something like a vinyl cutter, laser cutter, or a light-duty rolling die cutter like the Sizzix Big Shot. You can order custom Big Shot dies straight from the sizzix website, but you’re probably looking at several hundred dollars for the bigger sized Big Shot machine and a die.
An arbor press probably doesn’t have the surface area to do a big die like you’re talking about either. You’d probably need a big hydraulic clicker die system to do a straight press type of die and those clickers run upwards of $10k.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2020 at 7:35pm

Another thing you could do is hire a custom box maker to do it. We have a local box factory that will make a big die for a custom box size for a few hundred dollars... but then you buy the boxes on top of that. In your case you would buy “boxes” that are all flat, so they shouldn’t cost a lot. 

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 8:28am

I figured there was a reason nobody offered them cheap  Grin

It's just the scotch in me saying "hey we're throwing out this cardboard...wouldn't it be nice..."

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #27 - Dec 12th, 2020 at 6:50pm

What company did u get it from, would u know if they offered this?  I am looking at getting some custom branding irons, to mark my leather, knife sheaths, and sling pouches. Since i mostly use leather.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar)