Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on Making a Udemy course about making slings. (Read 499 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Thoughts on Making a Udemy course about making slings.
Nov 11th, 2020 at 12:56pm

I had some thoughts today, after a customer of mine reached out about a tutorial i had written a few years back. It was a tutorial on how i make a rockman sling, which i ended up turning into a pdf. 

I was curious on what are the thoughts if someone would make a video tutorial and post it on Udemy? It would be a step by step video. I am just looking at thoughts and feedback on this idea. I have a udemy account,  and have a couple of courses that i purchased.  My gf took one and loved it. Mostly about hobbies we both like.  So i am a bit familiar with it. I haven't ever seen this bought up on here before. But i think its something that could cater to people who learn better with video intstead of reading or looking at pictures . I have seen a video or 2 on YouTube,  but from my experience it was a bit of a PITA, but thats how my brain works.
Thanks

Pretty much a video of me talking, and sitting down braiding and weaving a sling.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Thoughts on Making a Udemy course about making slings.
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 1:16pm

I think if it's one of the more complex skills with insider tips then I would say it can be worth it. If it's just "How to tie a sheepshank" then... Well... There are YouTube videos for that. I think there is definitely a place for some more involved video tutorials.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 3:36pm

I was thinking for now to start off it would be a how to step by step on the 'rockman' style sling.  Then in the future,  or even never update it. I am not sure yet.  But i agree with what you are saying about simple stuff

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 10:08pm

I’d say go for it... but look at other online learning platforms too. Udemy arbitrarily offers discounts that cut all of your profits. I would recommend Skill Share. More people will watch the course on a whim because they already paid for access to the courses, and then you use that publicity to drive traffic back to your sling shop.

That’s my $.02

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 12:41pm

I agree with Consequence. It seems the pros and cons align with skillshare.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2020 at 6:31pm

In that it would be another way to spread the word I say go for it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2020 at 5:14pm

Thanks everyone,  i have heard the name skill share, but wasnt too sure of what it was. I do understand with its name to an extent, but if itslike Udemy.  Then i am good. Really appreciate the input. Its gonna be something i look at doing on in the future

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)