Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Lead (Read 2197 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Slinging Lead
Nov 1st, 2020 at 3:41pm

I finally got some 6oz. lead fishing weights and got them flying. The video took a while to get ready due to technical problems that then meant I had to download and learn an entirely new for me (and actually better) video editing program. I recommend Shotcut by the way. It's pretty nifty and free!

But anyway, lead was very fun to sling but... I don't think I'm a convert. I just love the raw destructive power of rocks too much. Still, I have some ideas for the glandes still...

https://youtu.be/inAHpMRY3cs

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

a

a

a
Re: Slinging Lead
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:23pm

That was cool, I would have thought they'd do more damage, they look lethal.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:45pm

Nice Kick!  I was a little surprised by the (lack of) damage, but not much.  The softness of the lead definitely coming in to play with the impacts.  The hit at 1:57 that cracked the board in two was awesome!

Kick wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 3:41pm:
I recommend Shotcut by the way. It's pretty nifty and free!

This is what I use as well. Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 3:06am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:45pm:
The hit at 1:57 that cracked the board in two was awesome!

It was helped along by the previous staff sling hits. It was almost completely folded over before so yeah.

a wrote on Nov 1st, 2020 at 6:23pm:
I would have thought they'd do more damage, they look lethal.

I do want to have a go on a soft target and with the staff sling because I think that will work much better and really let them shine. I wasn't slinging full power just because I didn't want to lose them, but it was crazy to see how much they deformed. I knew lead was soft, but it was a surprise. I think I prefer my granite rocks overall. A lot of the rocks I've been using are also heavier than 170g, particularly the ones I use for the staff sling of which some are more than 300g.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 2:15pm

I would like to sling lead but my cheapness forbids me.  I find golf balls laying around the places I walk the dogs and stones are free.  Good video.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 2:36pm

Are you shooting with the red streamers ? If so, the latter must exert considerable drag

(and are you not nervous with all those people walking around ? I'm sure the lens makes them look closer, but unfortunate richochets can happen).

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 4:22pm

I added the red wool to help with finding them and it really helped. Even so, I lost two out there which was very annoying. I don't think they added much drag, it's just light wool.

You aren't the first to express concern Cheesy You're right though, the camera makes them look a lot closer. No-one was in any danger, even from a ricochet. I've been slinging there a long time now with tennis nalls, stones and now lead and nothing has ever landed  anywhere near the path. The angle is very deceptive. I would love to have a more remote area to use, but this is the best I have so I have people walking past occasionally. We're moving actually fairly soon so hopefully I'll find something better. A good slinging spot is top of the list of requirements Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 5:38pm

This is why tungsten is such a good material, denser than lead and harder than steel.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 6:35pm

Tungsten probably is the perfect sling ammo material for those reasons. I really wasn't expecting lead to be so soft. I of course knew it was a soft metal but they really got mushed with even low power shots.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 8:07am

It is still dangerous.  Nobody would do that with a gun.  Well, maybe a couple of Texans.  😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 8:48am

I bet the light wool streamers add a significant amount of drag, but I don't know if any of the old-timers who were physics and maths mavens are still here.

IP Logged

Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 3:29am

The issue of lack of damage very likely is due to the lack of power put into each throw. At that speed, it appears ur more lobbing them onto the target rather than firing them at a more flat trajectory to hit the target straight on with minimal arc. I'm pretty new but I prefer flat trajectories with more power behind it, of course I'm nowhere near as accurate as u are kick but if looking for damage I think that is a better bet. It would take me a ton of tries to hit in comparison though on a flat trajectory  Tongue

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 5:07am

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 5:08am

Gutes schießen kick Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2022 at 5:21am

Foresight17 wrote on Jan 10th, 2022 at 3:29am:
The issue of lack of damage very likely is due to the lack of power put into each throw. At that speed, it appears ur more lobbing them onto the target rather than firing them at a more flat trajectory to hit the target straight on with minimal arc. I'm pretty new but I prefer flat trajectories with more power behind it, of course I'm nowhere near as accurate as u are kick but if looking for damage I think that is a better bet. It would take me a ton of tries to hit in comparison though on a flat trajectory  Tongue

Well I'm not all that accurate and yeah I'm definitely not the most powerful slinger, but I think really the problem was that I was shooting against metal and wood and I overestimated lead's capabilities. The deformation of the lead shows there is sufficient power if not maximum power, but the lead is too soft to impart it into metal and wood. Lead I think is most useful against soft targets as Jaegoor's video shows. Lead against hard targets does have an effect of course, but a lot of the energy is absorbed by the bullet on impact. I've thrown a steel plumb bob that left a very deep dent in the pan, almost piercing through it which I don't believe lead would ever be able to do unless you are slinging at bullet like speed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy)