a
Oct 28th, 2020 at 11:29pm

a
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 7:57am by a »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Is there any reason beyond inertia for target height/size?
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 7:12am

For me, the reason my targets are low to the ground is because I don't have anywhere to hang them up higher Cheesy I would love to have a proper target range with varying heights.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 10:08am

I do like variable height targets. It's quite easy to learn a target height then be unable to adapt easily. I guess the practical reason is that it isn't easy to have targets at lots of different elevations in a competition.

One way you could do it is move through some hilly/rocky terrain and set targets up at different positions around this, you would have to be careful to make sure the backdrops are safe though. This is how we did it in archery when I was a kid.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 11:19am

it's just a  competition standard.

The target most likely developed as a training tarhet.
The diana is head height for most people and our ancestors were shorter on average.
The total width of the target is about 2 people wide.

A good sized target for a body of men charging you.

And as the only organised slinging competitions in the world use this target. It's what most of us train on.

I actually spent most of my slinging life throwing stones for moving dogs and landing them fairly close to the dog, otherwise they'd give up and come back for another rock.

So I'm pretty good at moving and random targets.

It's just down to what you practice with.

I do find it MUCH easier to hit a random snap target, as reflexes take over. With a standardised target at a set distance - I usually start out without thiking about it and never miss in practice.

But the longer you sling at the stationary target the more you start to think about what you are doing - and that's usually when things go tits-up and I start missing.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 5:55pm

a

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2020 at 10:52pm

For field slinging (roving and hunting) you need to constantly pick targets at different distances, heights and even take shots at targets partially concealed by weeds etc. Anything that might trip you up mentally in the moment. The more you practice the easier all shots get.

The side benefit is if you can actually hunt small game with a sling you probably have pretty darn good accuracy so it doubles as a good target slinging practice.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 12:54am

I Practiced exclusively at a low height for months when I started slinging.  When I finally got a chance to use a normal target it only took about 100 throws or so to adjust.  Same for targets high up in a tree.  So varied heights and distance at this point don't make much of a difference accuracy wise...  a target is a target.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 5:27am

a

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 5:32pm

I normally sling while roving, now.  I used to have a target set up but quit because it got to be work.    Grin

I have had to use tennis balls to knock darts thrown by children out of trees.  Usually, my problem is threading the tennis ball through a hole to hit the dart.  Throwing up isn't something I practice but I don't find it harder than throwing level.

IP Logged

Shakli

City Slinger

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 12:26am

a wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 5:27am:
Shakli wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 12:54am:
When I finally got a chance to use a normal target it only took about 100 throws or so to adjust.

Yeah, this is my problem. I don't want to have to adjust. I took 5 shots at a sleeping bat a couple of months ago and missed them all. I'm blaming it on the target practice. So now I have three different target heights.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  It ONLY took 100 shots to get use to slinging at a different heights.  That was a one time thing.  Since that one practice session there is no difference to me what height the target is, my accuracy is the same.  Only factor for me now is how far is the target.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 12:55am

a

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark)