Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for a new laptop (Read 851 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Looking for a new laptop
Oct 26th, 2020 at 11:01pm

As the title states I’m potentially in the market for a new laptop.
This is mainly due to the release of Baldurs Gate 3.
My old MacBook Pro is not good enough to run this game(to my understanding).
I have no idea with this stuff, I don’t understand the computer jargon.

Ideally I would prefer a Mac as I’m very used to the way they work but might be talked into a pc.
Price is obviously a big part of the picture and I know apple products are overpriced. But in my experience pc are more likely to be affected by viruses ect. My gf will 100% go on some type of bad pop up site and both of us are not overly tech savvy.

Below are the games requirements, open to all opinions and options, please help

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Looking for a new laptop
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2020 at 7:28am

well 2 things - macbooks suck, but particularly they REALLY suck for games.
So that's out.

Secondly the recommended spec is VERY high for a laptop.
It's not bad for an actual pc.

So it's not going to be cheap.

so we'll start with an ideal machine: https://www.amazon.com.au/ASUS-Computer-Quad-Core-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B07W5T9G...
That s the dog's bollocks !
quite how they've got a 1660 ti into a laptop case without it melting - I have no idea.

I recently built a similiar spec system for a client in a case with 9 BIG fans in it, and heatsinks like engine blocks (small ones) !

If you plan on playing a number of games then an external usb3 drive is also a good idea for bulk storage.
I guess a fast usb stick or sdcard would also work. But the harddrive will be a lot cheaper.

'budget' machine: https://www.amazon.com.au/TUF-Computer-R5-3550H-Processor-FX505DT-UB52/dp/B07VCN...

Still a kickarse machine, but a LOT cheaper wthout losing too much performance.

Avoid intel based machines - expensive and amd have really kicked their arse all over the place in recent years Smiley

And that's pretty much it.

weirdly all the lower spec machines I found were MORE expensive than the second one I posted.
Go figure.

Still no clue how they've managed to fit a gtx 1600 series card in a laptop, without all the surrounding plastic melting every time you even look at a video. noidea

But fairly certain if you actually use this on your lap - you will get boiled bollock syndrome (BBS) whistle

And vulkan (software interface between the game and the hardware) loves both nvidia graphics and amd processors.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 12:18am

My wife was a die hard Mac fan until she was forced into a Windows machine. As a Mac alternative, she really likes her Lenovo Yoga.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 12:44am

All pc users say Mac sucks it’s very much common knowledge. I’ve ended up getting a second hand pc tower I’m going to attempt to run it on , we will see, Baldur’s Gate 3 better have slings!!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 8:42am

I'm not sure if you will be able to find something to meet your needs, but thought I would throw this out.  I'm also mainly a Mac user at home.  I have a PC too, but a Mac is my primary.  My current computer is a MacBook Pro 15 that I bought as a refurb on ebay from these guys: https://www.ebay.com/sch/waterfordtechnologies/m.html.  There's a ton of stuff on the Internet warning against stuff like this.  But I ended up getting a MacBook Pro for $950, when the same hardware specs for a brand new one would have been $3000.  I've had zero issues with it and am glad I took the risk.  And unfortunately the risk is part of it because it's a refurb, but I ended up getting an awesome deal.  Just an option if you do want to get another Mac.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)